Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece MP-34S Shadow Panther

Give me a version representing Ravage’s BW cameo and I’ll conisder it

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So which MPs are we expecting this year so far?

More pics, with an added accessory reveal (communicator armband seen in the show):

Test shot of the communicator:

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    So which MPs are we expecting this year so far?
    Try this thread.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...38&postcount=7

Listing up:

http://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810102359/

Oh yeah, original mutant head:

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Give me a version representing Ravage’s BW cameo and I’ll conisder it
    That and Tigertron are the two things I want from the MP Cheetor mould. Seriously I thought by now we would have Tigertron in hand.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    That and Tigertron are the two things I want from the MP Cheetor mould. Seriously I thought by now we would have Tigertron in hand.
    Isn't Tigertron slightly bigger, meaning they'd need to oversize the mould anyway?

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    I was going to say that after Shadow Panther it was looking like a BW and Movie year but it is looking more like reissue and repaint.

So if Dinobot is considered a Maximal, the first Predacon Masterpiece toy will be this little known, non-show character.
    I would have released this after Megatron (or whoever ends up being the first cast character Predacon Masterpiece toy).

Then again, the original "Gen1" series of Masterpiece toys started off in a similarly disappointing way, with three of the first four being Optimus moulds, and one of those wasn't even a real Gen1 toy, as it was based on the retconned version of Ultra Magnus by DW.

As someone who was living in Japan when BW came out, I think that this is a good move by TakaraTOMY because Shadow Panther was HUGELY popular. When I was initially trying to find one for myself, I could never find it in local stores so I had to travel all the way into Tokyo where I finally found Rhinox vs Shadow Panther and bought it.

↑Inside that blue plastic bag was my Rhinox Vs Shadow Panther set

Months later I found it locally and picked some up for other fans outside of Japan who wanted it, but again, not easy. I'd rate this with the CD ROM Convobat vs Megalligator in terms of the most difficult BW toys to find in stores. There was one time that I bought Shadow Panther just as the store had freshly restocked their shelves - I went out with a mate for a couple of hours then decided to go back to that shop to buy another Shadow Panther for myself to keep sealed. They were sold out! And I was living in a semi-rural area!

I honestly don't know what it was about this toy that made it so popular, but it sold like crazy hotcakes. While I know that this is a horribly obscure toy to non-Japanese fans, for reasons that elude me, it was massively popular in Japan. So I think it makes sense from TakaraTOMY's POV. Besides, aside from Shadow Panther and Tigatron, what else can you do with the MP Cheetor mould? They gotta make their money back somehow.