Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Force Awakens (Dec 17th) Official Trailers & links

Default Star Wars Force Awakens (Dec 17th) Official Trailers & links

Australian release date - December 17th 2015.
    USA release date - December 16th 2015.

Official website - Facebook

Trailers...

Official Trailer #1 - November 2014

Official Trailer #2 - April 2015

Official Trailer #3 - August 2015

Official Trailer #4 - October 2015

Post up links to new trailers and teasers here.
    Last edited by griffin; 20th October 2015 at 10:37 PM.

I'm sure you've all seen the new trailer by now.

It's just occurred to me that Captain Phasma's armour is meant to be chrome. I guess spending so much time staring at the Hasbro toy, I got to thinking that it's meant to be dull grey.

It's probably just me, but that latest trailer feels less exciting than the previous ones... which all seemed to get more and more exciting with each one.

It now feels more like Ep 1 with the introduction of all these new characters to set up the new trilogy... when Ep 4 pretty much threw them all and we didn't get much history or character build up before they met each other. The 4-6 trilogy was more action than drama, which seemed to be the criticism of the 1-3 trilogy, in that it was more drama than action.

It's no doubt the movie will still do very well even if it does end up having too much drama, because so did Ep 1, because it was "Star Wars" and had all the similar sights and sounds.

It's funny - after watching the latest trailer it almost feels like they are repeating episode 4 (A new hope) ... or at least the trailer felt like an abridged version with new faces (for the most part).

I'm not sure whether to be be excited or not... after this latest trailer I'm not feeling as bad that I won't be able to attend the premiere viewing for it here (I'll be on a plane)...

SPECULATION (note I haven't read any spoilers so I'm just sharing what I implied/felt from the trailer):
    After contemplating the trailer content I'm tossing about the idea that either Luke is the bad guy (but maybe I read too many of the novels in my younger years) or he's going to do an Obi-wan (there's a scene in the trailer than hints at the later...).. I really hope they don't just take the story arc of ep 4 and "re-image" it with a younger cast.

The new trailer doesn't look too bad at all, I'm not the biggest Star Wars nut in the world but I'll be going to check out this flick.

One question - how long do Wookies live? Han Solo is looking Hella old in this clip, yet Chewbacca looks the same as he did in Episode 3 when Han was prob just a bubba

Megatran Guest

Tickets have gone on sale for midnight screening.

Trailer looks awesome, would be lying if I said I'm not pumped up to see it, particularly pumped that I will get to experience it with my kids.

I like the fact that they appear to be going with (for the general population) the whole Jedi and Sith saga as being some sort of fairy tale legend/ illuminati conspiracy thing, which is what I got from the implied "stories" line as they say. Also the character development for Han, from hoki religions to "they're real" is pretty cool. Does it appear to be going over old ground from the OT?, well with the planet destroying space station, evil empire, rebels, a special nobody from nowhere being thrown into the mix and rediscovery of the force, sure it probably is, I also am probably inclined to think that Abrams will likely try to incorporate a plot twist like the OT, but I don't really care (seriously most stories tend to follow a similar formula) but so long as the storytelling is done well so that you are drawn into it and the characters, I will have little to complain about, especially seeing the original cast reviving their roles makes it a special kind of special already in my eyes

Bring it on I say
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    I like the fact that they appear to be going with (for the general population) the whole Jedi and Sith saga as being some sort of fairy tale legend/ illuminati conspiracy thing, which is what I got from the implied "stories" line as they say.
    Agreed. And it makes sense considering that:

1/ Force Users have always been a rarity, even during the time of the Republic. Until the Clone Wars, most of the galactic population had never encountered a Jedi. And even then, still most of the galactic population would have never encountered a Jedi anyway -- the typical refugee or fighter would've faced droids or clones. When the Senate sent Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn to end the Nemoidian blockade of Naboo, the Nemoidians freaked out as none of them had ever met a Jedi IRL. And Sith are even rarer -- even the Jedi had just presumed that the Sith had become extinct 1000 years ago, and during the Clone Wars there were very few Sith, with the movies explaining the Sith's Rule of Two, and it's true - we only ever see 2 Sith at any one time in the movies. Force Users in the SW universe are like a reclusive religious order. Even if most of the population may be aware of their existence, very few would have ever met one, let alone understand much about them. How many of us have ever met a Franciscan Monk or a member of the Amish community IRL? The Original Trilogy very much established just how obscure the Force had become. Aside from Han's dismissal, we also had this memorable conversation in Ep IV:
    Darth Vader: "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
    Admiral Motti: "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress... hrrrkkkk--"
    Darth Vader: "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Also the character development for Han, from hoki religions to "they're real" is pretty cool.
    Yeah, I've seen these comments crop up online since yesterday, but in all honesty, it's nothing new. Han's character started developing way back in the latter part of A New Hope, basically from the moment that he changed his mind and turned back to help the Rebels destroy the Death Star.

"You're all clear, kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!"

Of course, we see Han and Luke (but not Chewie?!? ) being given medals for the part that they played in the destruction of the first Death Star. This is a clear shift from Han being the self-interested scoundrel to becoming someone who cares for others and is willing to risk himself for the greater good. Turning back and joining the Rebels placed Han in great danger, as he was unable to repay his debt to Jabba the Hutt. Han could have very easily followed his initial plan to abandon the Rebels and deliver his reward money to Jabba, thus lifting the bounty on his head.

The Original Trilogy is very much character driven, which IMO is what makes it so much better than the Prequel Trilogy. But yeah, it's great that Abrams is definitely taking Han as the character that he had developed into by the end of the Original Trilogy and running with it. He's not the selfish scoundrel that he was when we first saw him at Mos Eisley, because quite frankly he changed from being that character back at the Battle of Yavin.

I so want to take the kids to see this as I have fond memories of seeing the first 3 movies at the cinema (for clarity, episodes 4, 5, and 6 ) however this looks waaaaay too dark for kids 8 years and under. I might have to see it several times first to make up my mind
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Agreed. And it makes sense considering that:

1/ Force Users have always been a rarity, even during the time of the Republic. Until the Clone Wars, most of the galactic population had never encountered a Jedi. And even then, still most of the galactic population would have never encountered a Jedi anyway -- the typical refugee or fighter would've faced droids or clones. When the Senate sent Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn to end the Nemoidian blockade of Naboo, the Nemoidians freaked out as none of them had ever met a Jedi IRL. And Sith are even rarer -- even the Jedi had just presumed that the Sith had become extinct 1000 years ago, and during the Clone Wars there were very few Sith, with the movies explaining the Sith's Rule of Two, and it's true - we only ever see 2 Sith at any one time in the movies. Force Users in the SW universe are like a reclusive religious order. Even if most of the population may be aware of their existence, very few would have ever met one, let alone understand much about them. How many of us have ever met a Franciscan Monk or a member of the Amish community IRL? The Original Trilogy very much established just how obscure the Force had become. Aside from Han's dismissal, we also had this memorable conversation in Ep IV:
    Darth Vader: "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
    Admiral Motti: "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress... hrrrkkkk--"
    Darth Vader: "I find your lack of faith disturbing.".
    First off, just want to say that my connection to Star Wars is limited to the theatrical films only (for whatever reason, I never seemed to want to get into all the fan fiction, I’ve always preferred to focus and enjoy the saga solely as a cinematic experience) so you’ll have to forgive me for my limited knowledge for anything outside the theatrical storyline. Having said that, I still consider Empire Strikes Back to be one of my favourite films of all time.

In relation to the above, I also agree it makes sense to go this way, primarily because whilst we as the audience have had a front row seat to the whole Jedi / Sith struggle throughout the series, particularly through the PT which basically focused its storyline solely on that aspect, in the big scheme of things, the majority of the population would have viewed the collapse of the republic, inception of the galactic empire, and the subsequent rise of the rebellion as nothing other than the result of waring nations (or perhaps I should say systems in this case) pursuing political conquest due to opposing interests and ideology. The presence of the Jedi themselves would be rare and I also doubt anyone outside the Jedi and his own immediate circle even knew or remotely considered Palpatine to be a Sith. He would simply be viewed as a cunning politician who rose to power during a time of war which saw him seize control and implement authoritarian rule. The only aspect in my mind that brings up a bit of contention to this view is the fact that during the clone wars, it was the Jedi who were in charge of the military offensive against the separatists. Much like in any war, the consequential propaganda machine that follows would have highlighted this aspect to the public, also the members of the senate would have had to be aware of the Jedi’s significant role in the republic to entrust them to lead their military during the war, therefore despite the rarity of the Jedi presence, and whether or not anyone had actually encountered or met a Jedi wouldn’t have much relevance as it would have to be assumed that their reputation and significant role in the republic (being the defenders of the republic) would have been common public knowledge to all at that time. Of course moving forward from the events of Episode III to episode IV, we can assume that Palpatine implemented his own propaganda machine against this reputation and likely sought to tarnish and destroy/remove all evidence of even their existence or importance other than being a “cult” that attempted a coup on the ruling government during the war. During the events of the OT, I also doubt anyone knew of Luke and Vadar’s struggle outside Luke’s immediate circle, it seemed to be entirely a personal pursuit rather than an aspect of the rebellions military offensive. Moving forward from Episode VI to Episode VII, assuming about half a century has passed since the clone wars, we see knowledge of the Jedi and their role diminishing amongst a new generation and relegated to a form of Myth. Perhaps only the timeline, being approximately 50 years can be considered a bit short in the eyes of the audience but, I’m OK with it, it could be possible and obviously you can only work with what you got. Again, assuming the assumption is correct, I like it that they chose to present it this way, it sort of grounds the story a bit better than the PT did and also gives us as the audience, a special seat in it all since we are privy to the secret truth of it all.

On another note how awesome is that scene “Enough of this, Vadar, release him” “As you wish”

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, I've seen these comments crop up online since yesterday, but in all honesty, it's nothing new. Han's character started developing way back in the latter part of A New Hope, basically from the moment that he changed his mind and turned back to help the Rebels destroy the Death Star.

"You're all clear, kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!"

Of course, we see Han and Luke (but not Chewie?!? ) being given medals for the part that they played in the destruction of the first Death Star. This is a clear shift from Han being the self-interested scoundrel to becoming someone who cares for others and is willing to risk himself for the greater good. Turning back and joining the Rebels placed Han in great danger, as he was unable to repay his debt to Jabba the Hutt. Han could have very easily followed his initial plan to abandon the Rebels and deliver his reward money to Jabba, thus lifting the bounty on his head.

The Original Trilogy is very much character driven, which IMO is what makes it so much better than the Prequel Trilogy. But yeah, it's great that Abrams is definitely taking Han as the character that he had developed into by the end of the Original Trilogy and running with it. He's not the selfish scoundrel that he was when we first saw him at Mos Eisley, because quite frankly he changed from being that character back at the Battle of Yavin.

Well depends how you’re viewing it, I think this development is new to a degree if we focus specifically on his belief in the force. In this respect, I can’t say I could view Han as anything but a cynic. I also can’t associate Han joining the rebellion with him being a believer of the force, especially not by the end of Episode IV, I think it would only be by the time of episode VI, that he had begun to accept that the force is real, and that result would only be due to the totality of his experiences with Luke, and perhaps Vadar as well (Vadar stopping his shots and taking his blaster from him in Empire, seeing him lift C3PO on Endor and Luke’s significance to Palpatine, etc). As for his development in Episode IV, I am inclined to opine that his involvement with the Death Star battle at the end had less to do with his desire to join the Rebellions cause, but rather more to do with going back to help what he then considered to now be his friends. Ultimately he went back to help out Luke (and Leia). His character development in episode IV came more from being one who disassociated himself from others (avoiding any form of new personal relationships), sort of being a “lone ranger” with introverted interests, to allowing himself to open up to others and develop new friendships, and it was through this that we find him to actually be quite a caring individual with a conscience as opposed to his rough and tough “don’t care about anything but me” persona. It was the consequence of this new friendship that saw him join the rebellions cause by the end of Episode IV (which no doubt the reward ceremony would have helped him feel more part of the team rather than like an outsider) and become invested to something other and bigger than just his own personal interests which led on to his role he assumed at the beginning of Episode V (even though he was still intending to leave Hoth to pay his bounty), and that’s not to mention his attraction with Leia either.

I agree that the OT is more character driven and furthermore, the characters seem more grounded and relatable which is why it stands out a lot more. In the end, I tend to try and take a step back and not let my expectations go into overdrive by investing too much in the hype, but rather try and view the saga for what it is, a PG friendly sci-fi fantasy trying to make itself accessible to a considerably large audience. In this regard, as I said previously, so long as the story telling is done well and I find myself being drawn in to the storyline and characters, I will have little to complain about. Also seeing how Abrams went about Star Trek, I think we should be in for a pretty decent cinematic experience
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.