Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: International Transformers retails and Australian GST. What retailers are doing.

I'm happy to pay the tax, but I wish it was being implemented in a way that didn't mean retailers like Amazon were shutting us out. Amazon Australia as an alternative is an offensive joke.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Well it's hard for them as people are using a vpn with a shipping company. Those parcels hit Australia with the big amazon logo on it and they get in trouble with a please explain and pay this fine. People have brought it on themselves to force amazons hand like that.

If it was pay at the border then fine.

Gerry Harvey is the ultimate anti Australian businessman. He wants people to pay more tax while paying zero himself. Just like the online shopping he had a cry about a few years ago, his stores are still around. He keeps making it harder for everyone while the outcome has no change of what he's crying over.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    I think it is total BS and the over $1000 rule was enough, I know BTT has a lot to say about this and rightly so, and I agree with him.
    Why thank you sir

This is what I had to say several months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    If it came through it would stuff most of us that live in the bush. Not only are a lot of TFs not sold in this county but a helluva lot that are don't appear in a 500km radius of remote rural areas. And Aussie divisions of companies like TRU, Myer and the like actually charge MORE to ship goods domestically then foreign companies to ship internationally.

Case in point, it was going to cost more in postage to me to have TRU ship CW Computron 500km from Melb than HLJ were charging to ship me UW Computron from Japan! it's why I just left it and hoped to find one on a shelf on my yearly trip to the big city (which luckily I did)
    Yup, this whole thing is a kick in the guts for all Aussie shoppers, but especially those in rural areas, not that the government gives a stuff about us

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Gerry Harvey is the ultimate anti Australian businessman. He wants people to pay more tax while paying zero himself.
    Per Harvey Norman's 2017 Annual Report:

Cash tax paid: $152m
    Gerry Harvey owns 30.4% of Harvey Norman
    Therefore Gerry paid $46m of tax through his Harvey Norman shareholding alone.

Compare this to Apple, which paid only $128m of corporate tax in 2016 on $7.5b of revenue. (https://www.itnews.com.au/news/apple...n-years-481972)

Other giants like Google paid even less. These multinationals divert billions of dollars of income to low tax countries like Ireland, Singapore etc to avoid paying Australian tax. These companies have now been made to pay more only due to the Federal Government introducing new laws to clamp down on this.

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Per Harvey Norman's 2017 Annual Report:

Cash tax paid: $152m
    Gerry Harvey owns 30.4% of Harvey Norman
    Therefore Gerry paid $46m of tax through his Harvey Norman shareholding alone.

Compare this to Apple, which paid only $128m of corporate tax in 2016 on $7.5b of revenue. (https://www.itnews.com.au/news/apple...n-years-481972)

Other giants like Google paid even less. These multinationals divert billions of dollars of income to low tax countries like Ireland, Singapore etc to avoid paying Australian tax. These companies have now been made to pay more only due to the Federal Government introducing new laws to clamp down on this.

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.
    I should have been specific on gst paid. Always has to be one. lol. You may have another try now the goal posts are defined. BTW, he didn't pay that tax, the corporation did. Corporations are their own entity.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    I should have been specific on gst paid. Always has to be one. lol. You may have another try now the goal posts are defined. BTW, he didn't pay that tax, the corporation did. Corporations are their own entity.
    It is an entity that he controls. In any case, if you have heard about dividend franking you will know income is not taxed twice. He is credited for the 30% tax that has been paid by the company already on his behalf and only pays further tax on that income if his marginal tax rate is above 30%. He most definitely has paid tax.

It's pretty obvious you did mean he doesn't pay income tax himself but regarding GST, Harvey Norman operates under a franchisee structure which means the revenue is not consolidated in its accounts. However for 2017, franchisees generated $5.6b of revenue which implies over $500m of GST collected on behalf of the government. Alternatively, if you believe Gerry, unlike every other Australian resident, does not pay any GST on his own personal consumption then I don't know what else to say.

Australia Tax Law Notice

You are receiving this message because you currently have items in your Pile of Loot. Due to upcoming changes in Australian Law, many retailers outside Australia will be required to collect GST (Good and Services Tax) on merchandise shipped to Australia. This new law will be effective on purchases starting July 1, 2018. We encourage you to sign into your BBTS account and release all of the items in your Pile of Loot before this new law takes effect. Shipping fees will be collected at the time your items are released to ship. We recommend releasing your items by June 29, 2018.

Please make sure your preferred payment method and shipping address are up to date within your account.

Thank you again for using the Pile of Loot and we do apologize for this inconvenience. If you have any further questions or concerns about your order and need assistance, please be sure to contact Customer Service.

Our Customer Service team is available to assist you via email or phone Monday through Friday 7:00AM to 3:30PM (CST).
    Well BBTS is going to start collecting GST, which is fine I'm just annoyed that they will be collecting it on purchases made months ago that have been sitting in my pile of loot
    Hunting:
    Beast Wars/Machines/Neo/Second

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    Well BBTS is going to start collecting GST, which is fine I'm just annoyed that they will be collecting it on purchases made months ago that have been sitting in my pile of loot
    I think they mean to avoid paying GST on your shipping cost you need to release your items before june 29th as from what I can gather GST will be applied to not only the item but to any service fees associated with the purchase i.e shipping.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    I still haven't gotten a reply from robot kingdom, anyone got through to them yet :S

Quote Originally Posted by Maruten View Post
    Amazon Australia as an alternative is an offensive joke.
    This I cannot agree with more.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)