View Poll Results: TF3 : DotM - worth watching?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • excellent, must see

50 43.86%
  • good, see if you can

35 30.70%
  • average

22 19.30%
  • disappointing, avoid it

7 6.14%
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers 3 : Dark of the Moon (spoilers)

Now that I had some sleep, I remember the glaringly bad premise behind Sentinel's apparent development of the space bridge. To teleport Cybertron to some puny planet so 6 billion fleshlings can help rebuild it? Whaaaat?

I'm glad they didn't make too much of it after it was 'revealed' but seriously, if they just stuck to the "they're here for our water" sci-fi convention it would have been far more believeable.

Still think its the most entertaining film of the three by far (haven't even bothered to watch ROTF), but I did have the advantage of zero spoilers and watered down expectations.

Decepticon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post

What really pisses me off was that this movie hasnt even been out for one day and people start a thread picking it to bits. Its not 1984 and G1 anymore, its 2011 - new time and new generation.

Remakes of movies/old stuff will continue - Just like the upcoming Smurfs and Captain America movie.
    Here here!! Too many G1 lovers here. Too many Decepticon deaths though. I didn't see Barricade. Didn't like the giant worm and Spaceships hovering over the city. But I really enjoyed the movie and will see it again.

I'm really surprised of the wrap some people are giving the movie, especially since the majority would happily sit and watch re-runs of G1 and the 1986 movie which both had absolutely no plot or character development at all. They were just glorified toy commercials afterall, and the only difference now is that the movie is also a commercial for Lenova, Cisco, Nike, Mercedes, Chevy and Ferrari as well as the toys.

That brings me to "why bots need to have a point". I thought they were soldiers who were there to fight a war. Isn't that the point? Why does everyone need a back story? If ALL the human soldiers had their individual back stories, everyone would be complaining about that.

But seriously, we're all fans of a toyline about giant robots fighting each other and that's exactly what we got. The comics are there to fuel our fanboy/girl desire for rich back stories, just like the 80s Marvel stuff was there to add an actual story to the G1 cartoon.

I really enjoyed the movie, and so did the 32 friends I filled the Gold Class cinema with last night. The only thing that I'd say was dreadful was some of the cheesy dialogue, but it was a good laugh.

Dear Michael Bay and HASBRO,

Please, Please, Please send me the picture with Sam and President Obama!

That was sooooooooooo friggin' funny, Sams face LOL!

Also, the next film should be the war for Cybertron
    Last edited by gantz; 30th June 2011 at 09:49 AM.

eh.....

I'd put it in the same boat as Avatar: visually spectacular but the story was as limp as a dead fish. Though, Avatar did have more character development than this movie, sam's character arc was fun enough to watch.
    I really don't understand why Hollywood never bothers to invest in good writers for summer action movies.

Having said that I reckon it is the best "3rd" movie I have seen in a long time. Defiantly better than spiderman 3 or x-men3. I did really like the film, I just felt it could have been more.

pros:
    Josh Duhamel (why didn't we get a gratuitous panty shot from him)
    Lazerbeak was win. That is all.
    The action sequences- Bay might be a narcissistic tosser, but the man can defiantly choreograph some mean action.
    Sentinel Prime.
    Ironhide's death. (Not that I relished seeing the poor guy "rusted" I just didn't see it coming.)
    Soundwave.
    ILM's awe-inspiring artistry(CGI).
    Dempsey's character was a nice nod to Doctor Arkeville.
    Rosie's acting didn't suck as much as I thought it would.
    There was giant transforming robots.

Cons:
    I felt like I was watching a G-1 cartoon episode. 25+ years on (and given this movie is targeted at adults as much as it is kids,) I would've liked a slightly more developed story line than the ones found in a 80's kids cartoon. Oh well. For what is was DOTM was a decent enough movie.

LOL moments:

I'd pretty much come to terms with the fact Bay and the writers of the latter two movies decided to turn prime into a poster boy for American foreign policy. Still I couldn't help but chuckle when he executed the on his knees Sentinel Prime as he pleaded he was only trying to save his kind. For some reason I kept thinking of movie Prime like this ...probably because of Primes' previous incarnations bearing uncanny similarities to a certain messiah.

all in all, DOTM gets a 3/5
    ROTF -1/5
    TF1 4/5

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    What really pisses me off was that this movie hasnt even been out for one day and people start a thread picking it to bits. Its not 1984 and G1 anymore, its 2011 - new time and new generation.

Remakes of movies/old stuff will continue - Just like the upcoming Smurfs and Captain America movie.
    The fact that it is newer doesn't necessarily make it better though.

In a nutshell, the problem with this movie series was Michael Bay's sensibilities being thrown into the mix as a director.

Since we're talking remakes, let's compare it to the IDW Dead-Furmanverse.

Both were complete reduxes. Both drew on the motion of a more modern and "realistic" take on how things would play out. You even had some situations where all that was essentially different in terms of concepts was a name, like with Sector-7 vs Skywatch.

However the approaches and how seriously the source material was taken were completely different.

Bayformers went down the road of an action comedy in parts, using women as eye candy and jeuvenille humour from the start- with a major subplot being Sam's coming of age. When you're starting on a downhill slope, then things get even worse with the sequel, then you haven't got alot of room to start to take off.

Compare this to the first 22 regular story issues of the IDW Dead-Furmanverse + One-shots preceding Revelations (which was accused of being far too short and abrupt for peoples' likings, but the prior four stories were both highly accessible to newcomers whilst holding widespread appeal amongst fans). With IDW, you had humans kidnapped and replaced with clones, a deadly game where humans were in over their heads (even Skywatch) and where the entire series feels dark and desperate.

It's essentially like comparing Herbie the Love Bug (or dare I bring up the dead awful Robot Jox) with the Sarah Connor Chronicles or the terminator movies.

Admittedly this was being marketted to young teenage boys and Hasbro wanted to sell toys, but when the source material is being treated with that much contempt, you're going to end up with something sub-par where fans have to lower their expectations to enjoy it- there's just no away around it.

IF Hasbro decides to go with TF4 and the series is rebooted (it pretty much has to be with the number of dead cons at the end of TF3), then there needs to be alot more consideration of the choice of director. What TF has always needed has been more of a Ridley Scott (who has gone on record as saying he'd do another scifi if the script was good enough) or a Chris Nolan- people who can produce a serious war drama in a fantastic scifi setting that leaves you blown away and terrified of what your new car might do when you least expect it.

In short, it's 2011, but as Tetsuwan said, that's no excuse for a poor update.

I don't get why G1-fanboys get angry about the movie. I mean its Megatron's master plan and the Ultimate doom :P didn't you want G1 stories! :P

anyway I really enjoyed it. there is some scenes that did drag out a tiny bit and the movie could of done with a 15 min or so trim but that's my only real complaint

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Accel View Post
    I don't get why G1-fanboys get angry about the movie. I mean its Megatron's master plan and the Ultimate doom :P didn't you want G1 stories! :P

anyway I really enjoyed it. there is some scenes that did drag out a tiny bit and the movie could of done with a 15 min or so trim but that's my only real complaint
    The problem again, comes back to Bay's sensibilities as a director. If say, Terminator 2 were remade and Bay directed, you'd wind up with something very similar to TF1. It doesn't matter how good a concept you might have for a movie; if the director is a poor fit, then you're going to wind up with something missing the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Which series? I may actually buy it, there's room for a decent story between the two movie, alas IDW fumble the ball as much as Bay and co does.
    Check out IDW's Rising Storm 4-part series to learn the fates of Elita and Jolt. The individual issues or the collected TPB should be available if you can find a decent comic book shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I thought I saw that but I can't confirm, on the other hand they never transformed so maybe they were the twins twins? What's more perplexing is I clearly recall them saying after that there are 9 Autobots left, which leaves no room for the Twins (not to mention Arcee and Jolt).
    It can work. The Dark of the Moon novel depicts Skidz sacrificing himself to save Bumblebee moments after Sentinel Prime goes Nemesis Prime on poor Ironhide.

After his brother's death, Mudflap threatens to "kill that bastard" and relentlessly pounds the Prime, only to befall the same fate as his fellow kin.

Jolt was killed by Shockwave in Rising Storm, and the injuries Arcee and Chromia suffered were probably fatal, thus died between the Rising Storm/DOTM gap.