Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Pre-movie

Default Buying Pre-movie

Hey guys. I have been collecting for years but go through patches and bouts of disinterest. I have noticed a few guys like Tiby etc.. that buy masses of toys. Do you seriously love all those? Or you just an Obsessive Compulsive buyer of transformers that you do not have? I'm trying to get my passion back, primarily by trying to avoid poorly thought out toys that make me think "Holy cow, why did I waste my cash on something that doesn't deserve to be on a peg in any retail outlet."

Also - compulsion to buy pre-movie? I am doing myself a favour and waiting for the movie to come out before I buy anything, other than if I happen to find a figure that I want on sale (leaders from k-mart).. but OP looks woeful and megs is a bit meh too. I'm waiting for Starscream and good old Jetfire. We'll see how it goes.

Let us know of what turned you on about your new purchases! - Is anyone psyched about the mech-alive?

Take care.

think the "mech-alive" gimmick has always been there but just a rewording used by Hasbro. i just go for new TFs if possible now hence i've abandoned Voyager prime totally. was thinking of letting go Deluxe/Legend Bumblebee but figured out they have changed so i might get them later.

being a completist is hard and we always want everything.... i guess most of us collectors here just want to finish (if possible) every single figure that has been released whether we like it or not.

personally, i think i'll leave all of then MISB now (back to my old days) as I can't afford to get doubles to open anymore.

Nah. I'm very selective about what I buy. I just buy the ones I like and try to keep my Transformers collection count down. I very seldom buy retro figures.

I only really have Deluxe Concept Camero Bumblebee from the Movie line. Only one I really liked. I onbly have Activators Bumblebee from the Animated line - only one I really like in that line too.

As for RotF... There's the cynical side of me that says that any good figures they do this time they will do better next movie anyway... so I'll most likley just wait it out.

Although I have been a completionist for Alternators, Binaltech and Masterpiece. Yeah, the expensive ones...
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Im only interested in "completing" ( note the ""- this subject to what my limit is to consider the completeness of this series) G1. All other seires of TFS Ive only gotten those which interest me. Beast wars being the least, but I still got em, at least the ones I like. MP and Alts got most but they're cost prohibitive so I guess AHB you gotta just stick to the ones that raise your interest otherwise you just end up regretting your purchases more and more. For the movie line, Ive already decided based on the previews what Im going to get and what I wont which makes it easy for me to avoid the same character, new mold dilemma. If your trying to get your mojo back in the collecting , yeah I think its best you see the movie then decide which ones you want. Sometimes you get a figure anyways because you "like the character" not so much the toy.. like pretenders - awfull shelled bricks, but hey, I went out on a limb,(not to mention my wallet) just to get em.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I think I impulse-purchase a bit, but I haven't gotten any figures I end up not liking. It's also not like I try to buy EVERYTHING in a line-that would be seriously expensive, for starters.

Also, in terms of buying pre-movie, I think I would do it because the movie stuff will be really hard to find after the movie comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailBlackout View Post
    compulsion to buy pre-movie? I am doing myself a favour and waiting for the movie to come out before I buy anything, other than if I happen to find a figure that I want on sale (leaders from k-mart).. but OP looks woeful and megs is a bit meh too. I'm waiting for Starscream and good old Jetfire. We'll see how it goes.

Let us know of what turned you on about your new purchases! - Is anyone psyched about the mech-alive?

Take care.
    I've bought 5 ROTF toys so far for the following reasons:

1. They were on sale so I saved quite a bit of mulah lah
    2. They might be harder to get when the movie comes out & I get paranoid about not being able to find toys later.
    3. I get incredibly psyched when a new TF line comes out.
    4. I had researched the toys I bought well in advance of them coming out and generally knew what I was going to get.
    5. Most of the toys I bought I absolutely LOVE (Leader Prime, Deluxe Sideswipe & Voyager Demolishor are brilliant toys as far as I'm concerned).

I wouldn't say I'm psyched about mech-alive but it's a nice thing to have all the same. It's kind of like having rice pudding with some strawberry jam on top. It's still tres bonne without it but I'm not gonna complain if someone chucks some on for a bitta the ol' added zing factor.

One thing you said still has me puzzled: "(leaders from k-mart).. but OP looks woeful". Can you please care to explain your disdain for an otherwise universally loved toy?

My Transformer collecting waxes and wanes, alas I collect several things and they all fight for dominance. I have to admit I enjoy most all of my toys, and I regularly cull the ones who I've lost interest in, but overall either iIm making less impulse buys, or toys are getting better cause I'm running out of toys to cull.

I've bought 4 ROTF now the first 3 I got on sale at Target, I had identified them as likely purchases months before so I grabbed them, though I must admit the explosion of new TF's helped ramp up the excitment. After opening Starscream I was sufficently impressed that I bought Optimus to on sale at Kmart the next day. So far I'm impressed with the 2 I've opened, Starscream as mentioned and Sideways who I think is pretty good, I'm now considering going after Breakaway who I was previously 50/50 on.

Mech Alive is nothing special as a gimmick, but it does mean that most ROTF toys that have it, have some nice details. Starscreams chest for example.

Do you seriously love all those? Or you just an Obsessive Compulsive buyer of transformers that you do not have?
    Obsessive! The sell out of the first movie toys led me to be a buy it when you see it because you might not be able to get it later.

Also - compulsion to buy pre-movie?
    Again, after the movie came out the stores emptied of the good stuff, so buying before the movie makes more sense.

Mech-alive is a nice quick way to check if a toy is new or not. Voyager Ironhide, Prime, Ratchet, Grindor: none of these say "Mech-alive" on their boxes as they are all repaints of first movie toys.

Mostly I buy what I like.

With ROTF, I'm filling in some gaps from the first movie (I never liked TF1 Starscream) and getting a couple of the new bots that I really like (Sideswipe for example). However I am getting quite a few of the Legends, which I'm really liking and is much more cost effective at this point. But trying not to repeat characters other than Prime and Megatron and I did get BB even though I have his TF1 figure. Like others, there are figs that I know I want and will happily get them pre-movie.

Though I'm not a completist by any means, I do come close with some lines (I have most of the Alt. line and it is appearing I'll have most of the Animated line). My biggest issue with collecting is that I like to have an even number of 'bots and 'cons. So I make some concessions if I really like more than one or the other, I'll fill in the numbers on the opposite side with ones that I may have been iffy on originally. Havent found too many regrets yet though, probably because I do try to limit overall numbers.
    Last edited by ozrein; 4th June 2009 at 01:44 AM.

The abundance of stock on the shelves is tempting at the moment, to get in before the kids nag their parents for the toys. However, the toys that I want the most are not out til 2010 (Voyager Bludgeon, Jungle Ironhide). In the meantime I'll pick up whatever catches my eye and fulfils the coolness-to-affordability-and-price-justification ratio. Damn logic!