Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro bans KOs & 3rd party goods at Botcon

Looks like Hasbro are prohibiting unlicensed artwork as well, according to this. Admittedly, the artist tables have only been numerous in the last 2-3 years, and since IDW don't sell posters, I don't think anyone (including IDW) were objecting to fans & past/present Comic Artists selling posters & prints of TFs characters.
    I know that a lot of fans like buying/requesting certain characters being done, especially by past/present comic artists... so I think this may hurt more than it helps. Especially to FunPub, who are losing a lot of revenue from the people (artists & dealers) cancelling tables, as well as the people not attending now if they can't buy custom figures or artwork.

I think the Dealer Room is going to be pretty empty this year...

FunPub have always neglected promoting/hyping the non-toy elements of the Transformers convention (the guests, events, the annual meeting up with friends socially), so now that Hasbro are putting the squeeze on the one element FunPub always focussed on (to get in the toy dealers and scalpers), they've left themselves with an event that doesn't have much to boast about.
    Last edited by griffin; 4th April 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I know that a lot of fans like buying/requesting certain characters being done, especially by past/present comic artists... so I think this may hurt more than it helps.
    As far as I can tell, they can still request drawings of Transformers, they just can't be charged for them. People can draw/display/give away drawings of Transformers, but can't sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Looks like Hasbro are prohibiting unlicensed artwork as well, according to this. Admittedly, the artist tables have only been numerous in the last 2-3 years, and since IDW don't sell posters, I don't think anyone (including IDW) were objecting to fans & past/present Comic Artists selling posters & prints of TFs characters.
    I know that a lot of fans like buying/requesting certain characters being done, especially by past/present comic artists... so I think this may hurt more than it helps. Especially to FunPub, who are losing a lot of revenue from the people (artists & dealers) cancelling tables, as well as the people not attending now if they can't buy custom figures or artwork.

I think the Dealer Room is going to be pretty empty this year...

FunPub have always neglected the non-toy elements of the Transformers convention (the guests, events, the annual meeting up with friends socially), so now that Hasbro are putting the squeeze on the one element FunPub always focussed on (to get in the toy dealers and scalpers), they've left themselves with an event that doesn't have much to boast about.
    It would indeed be an interesting Botcon to see.... tumbleweeds......
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

This would seem to be a response to what's been happening in the comic convention world.

Earlier this year the creator of Ghost Rider took Marvel to court over a claim for rights/money to the character being used in movies. He lost and Marvel then sued him for selling prints of his Ghost Rider artwork at conventions.

Source

This apparently puts all artists doing convention art at risk...

There has been an… unwritten rule. That comic publishers don’t try to gain monetarily from artists selling work in such a fashion… as long as it doesn’t go too far. It doesn’t extend into merchandise, it doesn’t offend, and it doesn’t cannabilise any of a publisher’s own licenses. Legally, publishers could, arguably, go after so many creators for selling a head sketch of Captain America for $5, but they don’t. It’s considered promotion of the company, of the characters, of the brand, and helps creators make a living.
    Source

With advice to:

... QUIT doing, creating, selling ANY sketches or sketchbooks or prints featuring Marvel/Disney characters, IMMEDIATELY. And let fans know WHY you are no longer doing them, and/or CANNOT do them ever again.
    Source

With all this going on I can totally see why BotCon might want to avoid a similar issue and it would protect the TF artists from legal risks.

Perhaps artists can simply ask for donations for a chosen charity in exchange for custom art. That's what Neil Kaplan did when he came to Australia for SupaNova -- never charged anyone for autographs, recordings, photos etc., but simply asked that people make a donation (how much was up to them) to his selected charity. I was happy to donate to get his John Hancock and photo/video ops!

If customisers want to make some money back to cover the material costs of constructing the customs, perhaps they can ask for a contribution fee? Or perhaps "give" the toy away as a lucky draw prize, but people need to pay a fee to enter the draw; thus they're technically charging contestants a competition entry fee and not a purchase charge for the custom toy. And people can enter as many times as they like (thus encouraging people to purchase more raffle tickets for more chances to win). <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Perhaps artists can simply ask for donations for a chosen charity in exchange for custom art. That's what Neil Kaplan did when he came to Australia for SupaNova -- never charged anyone for autographs, recordings, photos etc., but simply asked that people make a donation (how much was up to them) to his selected charity. I was happy to donate to get his John Hancock and photo/video ops!

If customisers want to make some money back to cover the material costs of constructing the customs, perhaps they can ask for a contribution fee? Or perhaps "give" the toy away as a lucky draw prize, but people need to pay a fee to enter the draw; thus they're technically charging contestants a competition entry fee and not a purchase charge for the custom toy. And people can enter as many times as they like (thus encouraging people to purchase more raffle tickets for more chances to win). <shrug>
    Hasbro is more likely to take a 'Black or White' approach here as they have already done. They are likely not to see a distinction between donations/draws and paying for the goods. No artist or customizer is going to risk having their stuff confiscated just because Hasbro was unable to see the distinction.

Plus who would want to risk it or offer their hard efforts on a custom or art as a donation or price draw? They are more likely to sell their stuff online or at a more fan friendly con since there are a few to choose from now.

Frankly, none of this is surprising, an approach like this from Hasbro is to be expected.

I would not be surprised that if this 'unfriendliness' to fans continues in the following years, an unofficial con may actually end up becoming more popular or the 'prominent' Transformers convention for fans.

Surely they'd be able to sell pictures of artists' own original creations - i.e. generic transforming robots. Hasbro doesn't own rights over transforming robots that aren't Transformers (after all in the 1980s we also had competing Go-Bots/Machine Men and Robotech etc. -- and in Japan there are still lots of transforming robot toys outside of Transformers... heck, Transformers was born from various different transforming robot franchises!). Even in the Western market we have stuff like RoadBots, Power Rangers (Zords) etc.

If Hasbro wants to crack down on fan art of their IP, then fine... that means artists will need to get more creative and make up their own stuff! Like SofaMan. Perhaps they can allow fans to display artwork of Hasbro IP Transformers but not allow them to sell them. I think that's fair. We already have such a policy in Australian conventions where fan artists are only allowed to sell their own original creations etc. of their own original works and not fan-works based on someone else's IP.

But who's going to go to a Transformers Convention to buy drawings of robots that don't exist or even seen before, in or out of the Transformers Universe. The artists would have trouble giving them away.
    Very few fans would have a custom character in mind to solicit an artist to draw for them... and that'd occupy one artist at best. Last year had over 10 artists selling artwork. All of it was of actual characters.
    I don't think that the Lil'Formers artist will escape this either, and he's been hocking his stuff at BotCon pretty much ever since I've been going.

Hasbro has reversed the 'ban' on fan artists:

Quote Originally Posted by FunPub
    We're pleased to announce, per Hasbro, that artist tables will be allowed at BotCon 2012 as we have allowed it in the past, and will be permissible as part of the show. Hasbro sympathizes and understands fans' discouragement with the previous statements concerning fan art, and while remaining steadfast in the right to protect its IP in regards to unlicensed merchandise, wants to ensure fans can continue to enjoy the BotCon experience which they know is made so great in large part by the fan community.
    http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...t-sales/24480/

Good news as Hasbro's previous statements sounded too draconian and somewhat crossing the line between defending their IP and becoming unfriendly to fans.