• Maybe if...

1 6.67%
  • No

1 6.67%
  • Not interested

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy review - MPM-4 Movie Masterpiece Optimus Prime

So mine had a pretty hideous hood gap. I've spent quite a few hours trying to figure out what was wrong and on mine at least, I've found it. I was able to eliminate my gap very easily by leaving the grey tabs that connect both forearms together untabbed in truck mode. This twisted the forearm sections of the hood up toward the outside of the windshield giving it enough extra movement to close the gaps. The hood sections are now only held together by the tabs that go into the front grill. Mine now has negligible gap under the windshield.

I'm keen for someone else to give this a go and see what they find.

I'd post photos but I no longer have an image sharing account.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    So mine had a pretty hideous hood gap. I've spent quite a few hours trying to figure out what was wrong and on mine at least, I've found it. I was able to eliminate my gap very easily by leaving the grey tabs that connect both forearms together untabbed in truck mode. This twisted the forearm sections of the hood up toward the outside of the windshield giving it enough extra movement to close the gaps. The hood sections are now only held together by the tabs that go into the front grill. Mine now has negligible gap under the windshield.

I'm keen for someone else to give this a go and see what they find.

I'd post photos but I no longer have an image sharing account.
    imgur.com

Unlimited image hosting with no restrictions. Photobucket is what your grandparents use.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    imgur.com

Unlimited image hosting with no restrictions. Photobucket is what your grandparents use.
    Actually, my grandparents use photo albums.

I am aware of the alternatives thanks.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I got one from the “better batch” recently. The cab gap is now virtually non-existent, which makes the whole experience so much better.

I completely agree with Magnus’ point that the truck mode has been compromised for the sake of robot mode. I’m no truck expert but the proportions definitely look off compared to the rotf Leader mold. The cab section is too short, overall width too narrow (judging by the nose and grill section) and even the tires are unrealistically narrow to make the ‘bot mode look better.

I also wholeheartedly echo Magnus’ opinion that the rotf Leader mold not only beats mpm04 on truck mode but also still looks good in its own right all these years later. It blew my mind when it came out and for me it’s hands down the best mass-release toy in the past two decades. Imagine what it could’ve achieved without having to accommodate electrics, mech-alive, AND combining with Jetfire!

But with its imperfection and compromise, MPM04 is by far the definitive movie Optimus imho.

Saw and handled this toy about a month ago... the one that I handled had shoulders that wouldn't lock into position. I asked the owner if there was a way for the shoulders to lock in and he said no - they just sit there. It's a nuisance because the shoulders dislodge every time you move them, which makes it a minor irritant when posing and a significant frustration during play!

Now I don't know if it was just this one toy or if this is a common problem. Please let me know if other people's MPM OPs have this issue or not... don't leave me in the lurch thinking it's a common issue like I did with MP Lambor! But just to ensure that I don't fall into making that mistake again, I will disclaim that I have only ever seen/handled one figure. Awaiting confirmation from others to see if this is common or if my friend just lucked out by getting one with loose-as-goose shoulders. Much like the shoulders on my old MP Lambor, they stay in position just fine if you don't touch them or move them veeery carefully/gently, but they're otherwise highly prone to coming out even with moderate force. And for a post MP Lambor toy you'd think that they'd include some basic way for the shoulders to lock in, even something as simple as a tab (like the way that MP28 Hot Rod's shoulders tab onto the body - it does the job well enough).

Am not aware of this as a common issue and mine tab in very securely. Could be that the chest wasn’t transformered properly?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Saw and handled this toy about a month ago... the one that I handled had shoulders that wouldn't lock into position. I asked the owner if there was a way for the shoulders to lock in and he said no - they just sit there. It's a nuisance because the shoulders dislodge every time you move them, which makes it a minor irritant when posing and a significant frustration during play!

Now I don't know if it was just this one toy or if this is a common problem. Please let me know if other people's MPM OPs have this issue or not... don't leave me in the lurch thinking it's a common issue like I did with MP Lambor! But just to ensure that I don't fall into making that mistake again, I will disclaim that I have only ever seen/handled one figure. Awaiting confirmation from others to see if this is common or if my friend just lucked out by getting one with loose-as-goose shoulders. Much like the shoulders on my old MP Lambor, they stay in position just fine if you don't touch them or move them veeery carefully/gently, but they're otherwise highly prone to coming out even with moderate force. And for a post MP Lambor toy you'd think that they'd include some basic way for the shoulders to lock in, even something as simple as a tab (like the way that MP28 Hot Rod's shoulders tab onto the body - it does the job well enough).
    Mine definitely doesn't have this problem.

It's possible that you and the owner weren't pushing the shoulder in far enough, because it does click into place and is held quite solidly.

I didn't push the shoulders in far enough for the joints to click the first time I transformed Optimus back into robot mode, so I can understand why someone might think the shoulders didn't lock.

I ended up folding and getting one to match my MPM-03 Bumblebee. They both now sit proudly on the hallway table to welcome guests as they walk in.

It replaced my Leader Class DOTM Jetwing Optimus and having the smaller backpack and smaller arms definitely makes MPM-04 a better looking toy in bot mode. From a transformation perspective, I feel this is a bit of a let down as it doesn't feel as refined as MPM-03 or what I expect from the Masterpiece line. I similarly had issues with keeping the windscreen/bonnet flush, and it felt like pieces were harder to keep tabbed together, like a badly cut jigsaw puzzle.

Still no regrets in purchasing, but with the movie Masterpiece line I'm more inclined to buy after reviews and release, rather than pre-order like I do with the G1 line.

Handled someone else's MPM OP and it had the same problem with the shoulders. They do tab in but they don't lock firmly and very easily pop out of place.