Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    When the deal was on at Aldi I checked eBay and there were a lot of units on there that appeared similar if not slightly better delivered for about the same amount so there are definitely other options out there for cheap systems.
    Can you suggest a particular brand of model for a beginner? I don't know what to look for, and what features are important
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

not really as I don't have one myself yet, I was just comparing stuff on ebay against the product at Aldi.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Iwata Neo is a good starting point.
    A double action brush where you can control both the air and amount of paint coming out is probably the most important thing to look for. Gravity fed so you can use just a tiny bit of paint for detail work when needed.

Iwatas are great, so are Harder & Steenbeck brushes. HLJ have the H&S ones listed under Airtex.

I did figure out that a compressor with an air tank is a good thing, it means you don't have the compressor going all the time and you also get more consistent airflow.

Hoping I can get some help/advice.

I am not happy with the background for my diorama. I need to touch some things up and it is my first attempt. I painted the sky three different shades going down like various web pages said and it looks OK (just). But I am not happy with where the sky meets the ground/fence. I just feel something is missing and am not sure what.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Also things are not in their final places and the roof needs finishing etc.

I like the graduation in the sky, perhaps you need to break it up a bit. put some clouds on there and break up the horizon with some longer grass or trees, even just silhouettes.

Looking to get into custom jobs and wanting to start on some of those Jakks Pacific oversized figures.

Can you guys recommend some good places to pick up cheap (good enough quality) clear primer, some small paintbrushes and some metallic silver paint to start with?

I'm guessing places like Mitre 10 or Big W would be good cheap starts but just thought I'd ask if there's some hidden gem budget brands when it comes to these basics for customisation.

Cheers!

FatalityPitt Guest

If anyone in Melbourne is looking for paints, brushes, etc, for customising; there's a pretty good shop on Swanston Street (near Flinders St Station) called Metro Hobbies. They got Tamiya and Mr.Hobby paints (enamel and acryllic), spray paint, etc. They also sell lots of model kits like Gundams if you're into those.

Riot Art (country wide art supply chain) has a deal at the moment (until 15/8/17 if memory serves) that if you spend $30 on paint brushes, you get another $30 worth free. They have a pretty extensive range. I went there today and am now set for a good couple of years I reckon.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

So I am finally in the airbrush crew.

My work gave me a prepaid credit card with some cash on it to say thank you for picking up the slack left by others and doing a couple of interstate trips and a heap of report writing.

Picked up a $99 Aldi compressor with a tank the other week. It came with a single action siphon airbrush which I didn't realise until I opened the box. I also have in transit an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS with hose, some fittings and other accessories. I also have a regulator/water trap coming from another place.

Need to get some pipettes, some paints, gun cleaner and whatever else I have forgotten. Once I have things together it is look out M-Bot.