Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving to Sydney

that's about it Verno, best bet is to get onto the real estates up here and look at places in those areas. good luck in your search to finally become a New South Welshman, and will be cool to meet you when you get up here dude.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Yes indeed. I can finally put a few faces to all the names.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

A few other places to look up:
    Newington
    Concord
    Croydon
    Canada bay
    Five Dock
    Lilyfield
    Leichardt
    Stanmore
    Summer Hill
    Ashfield
    Alexandria
    Erskinville

And you may want to avoid: Bondi, Maroubra, Mascot, Pyrmont, Glebe, Double Bay, Coogee, Randwick for various reasons including, but not limited to rice, value, tourists, idiots, airplanes, uni students and hovels!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I only said it was good if you were on an express bus in the bus lane
    or on the train, as long as the train doesn't break...
    I had no choice unfortunately as I have to use my car for my job. Some days I would get off at Artarmon & work from home thats how bad it was

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said. Sounds like somewhere in the inner west would ideal for you given your reasons for moving but yeah, gotta weigh up the financials of that. If you look at the cityrail map, I live about a 5 minute drive from Seven Hills station on the Western Line. I got a train to Town Hall in the cbd last night, takes about 50 minutes from here, but that was also a stop-at-every-stupid-backwater-station-non-express-train...

Be keen to catch up at some point when you're around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Ok, so to compile a list of possible suburbs in, as Trunks put it, the Goldilocks Zone, that you guys have recommended:

Parramatta
    Ryde
    Bankstown
    Chatswood
    Epping
    Manly
    Bondi
    Newtown
    The Lower North Shore
    Belmore
    Sutherland
    Canterbury
    Randwick
    Kingsford

They're all in about the 30-40 minute commute range, right?

Thanks for your help on this too lads, it's greatly appreciated.
    You'll find that some of these places are a _lot_ dearer than others - the Lower North Shore, Bondi & Manly in particular. Some (Belmore, also Lidcombe which hasn't been mentioned) are much cheaper.

Some have excellent Public Transport (Canterbury, Newtown, Chatswood, Sutherland). Some have poor PT (Bankstown is a LONG PT trip to the city - over 40 mins and not a nice area really, Kingsford is a fairly long bus trip, Ryde has no trains - look at West Ryde or North Ryde instead).

Some can group together - Chatswood is on the Lower North Shore (which is a region) - Randwick & Kingsford are quite close together as are Ryde & Epping. There are Coles pretty much everywhere. Including two in the CBD, for what it's worth.

My 2c - if you're looking for a cheaper suburb with good transport that's not too far from the city I'd look at either Ashfield, Lidcombe, Sutherland, Kogarah, Mortdale/Penshurst (they're next to each other). If you're willing to pay a _little_ more and a little closer you could look at Newtown/Erskineville/Alexandria, Canterbury, Ashfield, Marrickville/Dulwich Hill.

There's nowhere in the middle ring that's inherently dangerous, though Auburn, Riverwood, Lakemba, Punchbowl & Bankstown are somewhat less savoury. Do NOT live in Sydenham/St Peters unless you like the sound of jumbo jets overhead all day long.

Trent touched on the southern train line to Waterfall (techically the "Illawarra" line). I've lived on this line my entire life & it's pretty good with frequent trains (especially Kogarah, Rockdale, Hurstville & Sutherland - all of which are good suburbs, but Sutherland is the least expensive). The Bankstown line (Bankstown, Campsie, Lakemba) is slow with unsavoury types. The Western (Parramatta, Lidcombe) & Inner West (Newtown, Ashfield) lines are also good although the Western line can get overcrowded. Chatswood is on two lines, is also a good option (although it's relatively expensive). Bondi, Manly, Randwick & Kingsford are bus only.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Parramatta is relatively cheap considering its convenience as Sydney's second CBD. Ashfield gets aircraft traffic too - I used to live there when I was a toddler - my brother and I would run out to the balcony and get all excited any time an airplane flew over.

I work near mascot and used to stay in the inner west surburbs.

I find the inner west area like five docks, ashfield, maverickville, etc area more noisy compare to Mascot as planes dont fly directly over Mascot althought its near the airport. Planes are low and the sound dont travel far, so you dont really hear them much.
    Trains are more noisy then the planes though.
    There are lot of new units at Mascot though. For price, just browse around domain or real estate.

A suggestion is to fly in for initial survey yourself, book one or two night hotel/backpacks... then walk around CBD, rent a room or share a room for a week or two. You will see lot of posters/flyers all over the city stick on light/lamp post, traffig lights, etc... Go around the town to look for the surburbs you would want to stay, walk around check out the shops... check domain or real estate for pricing and see if you can get something or not. Once you manage to rent somethign then you get all your stuffs and get your partner and friends to move over.

Or you can just go do some internet survey, secure a place or just move down without doing the initial survey.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    No shares, just a really good job
    hmmm you know I just saw a Cityrail train personnel in the guards carriage who looks just like you in the Western Line when I got off at Blacktown the other day ......

Well, looks like were loosing one member in Tasmania then, geographically Best of luck in your move Verno. but yeah the guys already pretty much have mentioned a lot here.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    hmmm you know I just saw a Cityrail train personnel in the guards carriage who looks just like you in the Western Line when I got off at Blacktown the other day ......
    I could probably bet it was me haha.