Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Hey guys , I just read through this whole thread. I was wondering what you guys thought about using 50% hydrogen peroxide ( I can order this from a chemical wholesaler via my pharmacy). Would this be too strong?

Also, is dabbing on peroxide cream quite effective? Do you need sunlight to activate it? Cheers

Cream works great for me. Yeah sun really does help it to work

I found the peroxide cream left streaks as it's hard to get it even

Have to drown it in the cream like its been slimmed to avoid that. Well thats how I do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    Hey guys , I just read through this whole thread. I was wondering what you guys thought about using 50% hydrogen peroxide ( I can order this from a chemical wholesaler via my pharmacy). Would this be too strong?

Also, is dabbing on peroxide cream quite effective? Do you need sunlight to activate it? Cheers
    Ive recently been using the cream instead. Used it on some Scourge figures and well you still need sunlight but not as full on, I got that streaking that orion mentioned in one, but not on the other and well, I do find it better for smaller figures coz then I dont need to dissasemble it just so I can dab the part I needed bleached using a cotton bud. I apply 2 -3 layers actually, I let the first application dry a bit then add 1 more then another, after 2 days I was it away and re apply again 3x , after 3 days and it doesnt look like it's improving that when I stop. It means it can't get no whiter than that is how I interpret it.

As for the 50% H2O2 hmmm could be a bit too strong, we must use it with caution, prolly use it on a yellowed junker to test it first and be careful as it is going to be corrosive as on the skin, wear goggles and gloves plus long sleeves to be sure.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Remember how I restored the white on my Vroom? I had him completely away from light at the back of a bottom shelf but sadly, he has gone yellow again!

He did last for about a year and a half though. The yellowing is fairly recent and rather sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Remember how I restored the white on my Vroom? I had him completely away from light at the back of a bottom shelf but sadly, he has gone yellow again!

He did last for about a year and a half though. The yellowing is fairly recent and rather sudden.
    Hey Kup - I'm interested to know why it has changed back...

We know that there are a bunch of things that cause the issue in the first place like sunlight, smoke, heat, bad plastic batch, even the type of light bulb you have can cause issues for some plastics.

Do you use a fluorescent bulb in your toy room, old school tungsten screw in, led down light etc. ?
    Is the room exposed to a lot of dust ?
    Is the room exposed to natural light ?
    Does the room get hot during the day ?

I have whitened my getway and searchlight by applying the peroxide paste and want to try and avoid them going yellow again.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post

Do you use a fluorescent bulb in your toy room, old school tungsten screw in, led down light etc. ?
    No, the Toy room is kept in constant darkness: No Sunlight and a low density globe is used only occasionally when I go in after dark to look for something. As mentioned, despite the room kept in constant darkness, the toy was completely away from direct light at the very back of a deep mid-bottom shelf (You need to lean down and look in to see it)

Is the room exposed to a lot of dust ?
    No, I am the only person living at my place and no pets. The toy room is also not a 'living area', I only go in to take things in or out so minimal dust.

Is the room exposed to natural light ?
    Not at all. Blinds are constantly closed and any gaps barricaded by MOTUC mailer boxes.

Does the room get hot during the day ?
    Not at all. Overall my place is fairly cool.

Just to mention that it actually took two years to yellow again (wow I didn't realize it had been that long!), it wasn't a sudden thing.

That's why the whole thing seems strange to me. The toy had been kept in constant darkness ever since I whitened it. My guess is that although sunlight (artificial light) may expedite the process, yellowing can occur despite of it just for being exposed to air.

As we know, some plastics are more prone to yellowing than others so maybe some will mostly be affected by sunlight while others just need to be exposed to air to yellow.

hmmm must be a bad batch kup. My Vroom hasnt yellowed (knock on wood) yet or at all actually. Although my downshift figure could use a creme treatment, it's not pristine white as it should anymore.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Or the whitening process is just temporary. Once it has yellowed once then it is more prone to doing so again.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain