Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3949545556575859606162636469 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Well... it's a girl.
    I guess once the Master changed genders it was inevitable... I was just never a fan of that new era concept of changing genders with a regeneration.
    It should be interesting though as it will give a whole new dynamic to the character, it's relationships with others, and how situations are dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Well... it's a girl.
    Come on mate, she's a woman.

I wonder if she'll be like Tennant and have love interests with the opposite gender. Or she'll be like Katie Perry (too much for TV).

If she's another Clara I would complain
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

The youtube video announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Come on mate, she's a woman.
    I was trying to do it like announcing a new born... congratulations, it's a girl... but it didn't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    I wonder if she'll be like Tennant and have love interests with the opposite gender. Or she'll be like Katie Perry (too much for TV).
    I think the writers won't be able to resist looking at some old relationships under the new gender dynamic, as there have been quite a few openly gay and lesbian characters in Dr Who, Torchwood and Class (which had an actual gay sex scene), and this would technically be the first transgender character as well.
    Alex Kingston seems to be happy with the news, so even though last year's Christmas Story was supposed to be their last time together, I think the writers would love to see how River would treat her husband, errr, wife.

I'm not happy they've chosen to do this.

What's the point of it? Because they can?

My biggest reason for not liking this is simple. I'm tired of gender and/or race swapping. It's pure laziness.

I've read so many comments online today, how great it is, how it's another step for women.

You know what was a big step for female actors? When they created Romana. She was The Doctors equal. The writers created a whole new character. And she was great.

And when they wanted to change The Master up, they didn't swap his gender, they created a new character, The Rani.

Imagine the outcry if they brought Romana back, not as Romana, but a male called Roman.

Somewhere along the way DW lost it's originality and pioneering. It's become less sci-fi and more social statement. The declining ratings demonstrate that many people aren't impressed.

I won't stop watching, I'll gladly give the next season a watch, and I have faith that they've cast well, what I REALLY hope though is they give her great stories. Less social statement, more sci-fi.

As a classic DW fan, I'm not crazy about the gender change either, but expected it as the calls for it were growing louder and louder in the last few years. (especially after the Master changed gender)
    And the new era DW has been breaking so many bounderies and bringing in a lot of radical new concepts that the classic era would never have done (like allowing for wholesale deaths of innocents, just to be more "realistic"... but this is science FICTION - it was great because it wasn't real with including excessive killing, or torment and pain of named/known characters being killed off every episode).

Dr Who was something kids like me (and the generation before) would watch and be inspired to solve problems and use imagination, particularly if you lacked the physical aptitudes of your peers who treated you differently because of your intellect... it was an escape to feel like you related to a hero that was also intellectual. With the new era of DW dealing with gay (and now transgender) issues, it could give those people a hero to relate to as well.

This is something new, that I think fits in with the new era philosophy of DW, and as such, I'm willing to see how it will turn out.
    If it doesn't appeal or work out, there is still 54 years of DW for those fans who don't like it, to fall back on.

And if they didn't do it eventually, the vocal elements of the fandom and clickbait media will keep badgering the writers and BBC until they do.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    doesn't that also sum up all the haters of the bayverse movies ?

either way doctor who isn't just for kids...just like this forum isn't just for kids (look at the subject matter haha).

I dont' watch doctor who...but doing stuff like this hurts the product. Look at marvel and how well their social pandering is doing for their sales.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/04/25...hurting-sales/

You can watch the guy below go thru the comics, give his view about it and he'll rip them up at the end if they deserve it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBJON9uZ_Kg

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    And if they didn't do it eventually, the vocal elements of the fandom and clickbait media will keep badgering the writers and BBC until they do.
    diversity works if it's done right, but these days it's just shoehorned without much care.

Jodie Whitaker is a pretty class act thou, so i'm hoping the script is good, if it is, i may even dabble in some doctor who, then watch the 10th doctor for Karen Gillan .

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    I'm not happy they've chosen to do this.

What's the point of it? Because they can?

My biggest reason for not liking this is simple. I'm tired of gender and/or race swapping. It's pure laziness.

I've read so many comments online today, how great it is, how it's another step for women.

You know what was a big step for female actors? When they created Romana. She was The Doctors equal. The writers created a whole new character. And she was great.

And when they wanted to change The Master up, they didn't swap his gender, they created a new character, The Rani.

Imagine the outcry if they brought Romana back, not as Romana, but a male called Roman.

Somewhere along the way DW lost it's originality and pioneering. It's become less sci-fi and more social statement. The declining ratings demonstrate that many people aren't impressed.

I won't stop watching, I'll gladly give the next season a watch, and I have faith that they've cast well, what I REALLY hope though is they give her great stories. Less social statement, more sci-fi.
    So they made a good choice, but you're not happy with it?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain