Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 for empty G1 boxes?!

Default $100 for empty G1 boxes?!

I came across this item on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-...1%7C240%3A1318

And it got me wondering. Do people really pay money to buy just the boxes? and at $100 no less?!

Which brings me to my other question, I have so many opened boxes which is becoming a nuisance. Is it worth keeping them? Apart from perhaps sentimental value I wouldn't see any reason to. They're arn't exactly rare either.

Edit: If I do keep them, anybody got good tips on storage e.g. compacting them etc?

I throw out most boxes - just keep the ones I really like. Usually I just pick my favourite from each series and keep that so I have a sample package from every line. But in spite of this, the closet in my TF collection room is jam packed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I throw out most boxes - just keep the ones I really like. Usually I just pick my favourite from each series and keep that so I have a sample package from every line. But in spite of this, the closet in my TF collection room is jam packed.
    That is an impressive collection of boxes! Mine would only take up the top part of your closet!

But I can never decide which ones are worth keeping coz none of them are particularly great.

Of the more recent releases (up to 2 to 3 years ago) which ones do you guys tend to keep?

I keep Deluxe cards, and snip outt he back of the larger toys cases 9as well as any tech specs) and only keep boxes of rarer or re-issue/Encore figures. Really I only keep the box if it's a Japanese toy as I find it so much easier to get them back into their packaging if needs be.

Even if you fold down to flatpack the Hasbro released boxes they still take up alot of room.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

There is an unfortunate perception among less knowledgeable sellers that having a box will increase the price of a figure dramatically. This is often true but only when the figure inside is complete and in good condition.

I have often seen sellers at the Parrmatta Fair as well as the on Ebay selling an incomplete almost junker looking figure at outrageous prices just because they come with a box.

For example, at the last Parra Fair there was this guy selling a G1 Hotspot in relatively poor condition and lacking all accessories (just the figure itself) for $180 just because it came with a box!

Quote Originally Posted by shazam View Post

And it got me wondering. Do people really pay money to buy just the boxes? and at $100 no less?!

Which brings me to my other question, I have so many opened boxes which is becoming a nuisance. Is it worth keeping them? Apart from perhaps sentimental value I wouldn't see any reason to. They're arn't exactly rare either.

Edit: If I do keep them, anybody got good tips on storage e.g. compacting them etc?
    some people pay up to 200 usd for a decent fortress maximus box
    i wouldnt recommend folding any g1 boxes. when you decide later on to sell your collection, the condition of the box will greatly determine the value of your auctions, in particular on the bay.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

I never knew empty boxes were in demand...

The only boxes I've kept are original/reissues G1s, MPs & a few others - all the rest were binned

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    There is an unfortunate perception among less knowledgeable sellers that having a box will increase the price of a figure dramatically. This is often true but only when the figure inside is complete and in good condition.
    BBTS may have the same thinking. Looking through their G1's the other day, there are occasions where they have multiples of the same figure but for some reason they're charging an extra $30-40 because it comes with the original G1 box... (example)

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    I never knew empty boxes were in demand...

The only boxes I've kept are original/reissues G1s, MPs & a few others - all the rest were binned

BBTS may have the same thinking. Looking through their G1's the other day, there are occasions where they have multiples of the same figure but for some reason they're charging an extra $30-40 because it comes with the original G1 box... (example)
    Its arguably valid if the figure inside is complete and in good condition though. Its only stupid when the price is increased considerably for a poor condition/incomplete toy just because it has a box.

I remember this other dude at the Parra Fair selling an incomplete Ramjet for $200 just because it had a box Despite a whole year he is still sitting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by shazam View Post

I'm actually surpised no one bidded on these. Empty g1 boxes go for $15-$40US on transformerland and people swoop on those like ravenous wolves. Maybe it's the encore/commemorative boxes that's making people iffy...or the fact that it's a U.S only auction.

200bucks just for one empty box?!?!

When I think about it, the only reason anyone would buy a empty box is so they can try to make it appear as though its in mint condition. But I would imagine that to be hard to do not to mention its just plain right dodgy. How would less knowledeable people like myself be able to discern which "rare" TF's are worth forking out the extra money for if we can't tell whether its original or not?

From what I'm reading the general consensus is to keep rarer boxes which makes sense. But I'm such a sucker for keeping junk I think I'll just keep the cases of all the TFs I bought in Japan and chuck away the ones I've bought here is oz.