Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 42525758596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Yeah, in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special, the War Doctor did say that he won't remember "any of this" as he farewelled the 10th and the 11th.

I watched the new ep with my daughter next to me. I've told her nothing about the new Doctor because I wanted her to watch it with a totally fresh and uninfluenced opinion. When she saw the regeneration she started immediately smiling from ear to ear and was then jumping up and down with excitement and also ran over to the TV to get a closer look.

I really don't like how overblown regenerations are now. They're really milked, with all the soaring music and speeches by the Doctor... in my opinion regenerations should be more abrupt and unprepared for.

Eh... the regeneration itself isn't that long. There's just a long lead-up to the regeneration, and we had that too with the 11th's regeneration. I think they do it to "soften the blow" for fans, but I agree that we could do without it.

Two really long regenerations, IMO, were the 3rd and 5th Doctors' regenerations. The Third Doctor's long regeneration was understandable though, because it was a forced regeneration and the Doctor was fighting it. The 5th one... guh... prolonged by visions of the Doctor's companions telling him to live on with the Master telling him to die and laughing maniacally. Lame. But yeah, I suppose every regeneration either has a long lead up or the regeneration itself is drawn out. I think it's a way for the outgoing Doctor to "say goodbye" to the audience before being replaced by the new one.

What I find funny is the same repeating cycle that always happens whenever there's a new Doctor.
    Beginning of the Doctor's run: "I don't like this new Doctor, the last one was far better."
    End of the Doctor's run: "How dare they replace the best Doctor evah!!!"

Seriously. Every single time. Well, maybe except for the Sixth Doctor (apparently Colin Baker wasn't entirely enthused about the way that his Doctor was portrayed and we know that he refused to film the regeneration sequence, leaving Sylvester McCoy to stand in as the regenerating 6th Doctor by wearing a wig.

Poor Colin Baker wanted to be a darker serious Doctor like the 2nd Doctor, but the BBC made him a clown (and that's the nicest thing I'll ever say about his Doctor).

Quote Originally Posted by snaketales View Post
    I really don't like how overblown regenerations are now. They're really milked, with all the soaring music and speeches by the Doctor... in my opinion regenerations should be more abrupt and unprepared for.
    Everything is overblown and milked in modern times it seems, subtlety is a lost art now.

Expectation is set to low from here onwards. Or at least lower than the last Doctor. Everything will be new.

I've found all the new doctors to be an acquired taste initially, but they have all had a different quirk to their personality and I'm always sad to see them go.

Just like all the others, I'm going to give the new series a crack and I'll probably really enjoy it.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Expectation is set to low from here onwards.
    Same, but I am keeping an open mind. I may be pleasantly surprised, I may find ways to blame the new show runner, all I know is I'll miss Capaldi. I did enjoy his portrayal, especially when teamed with Bill, but Moffett let him down.

I've literally watched only five minutes of the new version of Shada and it's already better than the 90s version - mainly because it doesn't have that godawful synth soundtrack and has replicated the 70s sound of Dudley Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by snaketales View Post
    I've literally watched only five minutes of the new version of Shada and it's already better than the 90s version - mainly because it doesn't have that godawful synth soundtrack and has replicated the 70s sound of Dudley Simpson.
    Yeah I watched that too and enjoyed the latest version.

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie_76 View Post
    Yeah I watched that too and enjoyed the latest version.
    ....bit bummed there are no episode breaks though. The other night I was planning to go to bed at the end of the first episode, and I'm waiting, waiting....