• Average

3 33.33%
  • Not very good

3 33.33%
  • I refuse to have anything to do with it

1 11.11%

Thread: (DEC-2013) Movie Era - Rate it

Default (DEC-2013) Movie Era - Rate it

December is Movies & Miscellaneous month, so you can either comment on the Movies or some other series that impressed you that wasn't featured as one of the Monthly themes.

Details of the Live Action Movies can be found here.

The Entire Movie Series as a whole (you can include the Japanese versions if you want), how does it rate in the world of Transformers:

- Best Ever
    - One of the better ones
    - Average
    - Not very good
    - I refuse to have anything to do with it

I rated it as above "average" even though I'm not quite convinced it was "one of the better ones". I've re-visited the movies many times and while I love the visual spectacle of it, it seemed too much like a missed opportunity. TFs on celluloid had a relatively humble beginning (as a cartoon specifically designed to sell toys), but many creative types have been able to weave a rich tapestry with various stories over the years, so it's a disappointment that Michael Bay didn't make more of an effort with his script (although, to be fair, ROTF was hamstrung by the Hollywood writer's strike at the time of production). There are also a few somewhat distasteful elements to the movies as well, such as undercurrents of racism and misogyny.

I wrote a rather lengthy 3-part essay on the movies (and barely scratched the surface, really), and for those short on holiday reading material, it can be found here:

http://michaelfouche.blogspot.com.au...rs-part-1.html
    http://michaelfouche.blogspot.com.au...rs-part-2.html
    http://michaelfouche.blogspot.com.au...rs-part-3.html

If there was a rating between 'average' and 'not very good' I would have given it that. As is I erred on the side of generosity and gave it 'average'.

The first movie was great, the 2nd was shite, the third was passable. Guess that works out to be 'average' overall

First movie was awesome, the story let the other two down. It was great seeing the tfs getting the big screen treatment and becoming a spectacle. If only they were used more. I say average and the first movie great

I rated it as "one of the better ones." We all know what our criticisms against the movie franchise are, but it is a very commercially successful franchise which has thrust Transformers into the mainstream, for better or worse. :/