Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of eBay being no longer available to Australia

Quote Originally Posted by PROVOST View Post
    In 2009,a report commissioned for the govt stated the potential revenue from this measure was outweighed by the enforcement costs.
    I just hope when they do "enforce" the law they do it properly and not the way the Italian authorities enforce their law.

I've heard people from Italy saying that they can have two items arrive, both same value, and have wildly different amounts of tax to pay on them. Or have to pay so much tax on a cheaper toy and so little to pay on an expensive toy that the one that started out cheaper because more expensive in the end.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I just hope when they do "enforce" the law they do it properly and not the way the Italian authorities enforce their law.

I've heard people from Italy saying that they can have two items arrive, both same value, and have wildly different amounts of tax to pay on them. Or have to pay so much tax on a cheaper toy and so little to pay on an expensive toy that the one that started out cheaper because more expensive in the end.
    Way the government is trying to do this is make the retailers charge BEFORE its sent out rather than rely on auspost to do all that.

And both sides (retailers and auspost) have their objections

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

obvious solution, vote government out. Tell them this is bs. end story.

To me its not just ebay, there are a lot of items I can't get in Australia alone.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    obvious solution, vote government out. Tell them this is bs. end story.

To me its not just ebay, there are a lot of items I can't get in Australia alone.
    This concept is supported in principle by Labor so unless you want to put the Greens or Pauline in government, it is just a matter of time.

In any event, looks like it won't happen for at least another year.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So I got this email from ebay

Important: “Netflix tax” effective 1 July 2017
    From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

More information on this new legislation can be found here.

Regards,
    The eBay Team
    The more info link just brought me to the ebay.com.au homepage.

Any idea what's going on, looks like ebay changed their stratagy

That's strange considering buyers don't pay fees, unless they are adding a fee when we checkout?
    Also I thought the scam was on hold till next year or something, so who is getting the proceeds from this "tax" that ebay will charge when ebay wont be charged anything by the AU government?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    That's strange considering buyers don't pay fees, unless they are adding a fee when we checkout?
    Also I thought the scam was on hold till next year or something, so who is getting the proceeds from this "tax" that ebay will charge when ebay wont be charged anything by the AU government?
    Labor wanted to defer it for another year for further review, but depending on the situation they might not have the leverage to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    So I got this email from ebay

The more info link just brought me to the ebay.com.au homepage.

Any idea what's going on, looks like ebay changed their stratagy
    Hmmm I haven't seen this email and calling it the Netflix Tax seems odd. Is there a link somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Hmmm I haven't seen this email and calling it the Netflix Tax seems odd. Is there a link somewhere?
    I just checked and I didn't get any email either. Seems like the sort of thing everyone should get if it affects everyone and would be sent out en masse.
    Doing some googling seems to suggest that this is only going to affect sellers, which makes no sense why Australian sellers would need to pay "netflix tax" since they arent generally selling either digital items or items being sent from outside into Australia.
    Going to have to wait for more info

I just got it this morning too. It wasn't an "email" but it was in my Ebay Messages. The "more info" link in mine took me to the ATO website.

Here I was thinking we'd dodged a bullet for another year.