Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: KOs of 1987 Japanese exclusive Headmaster Heads + more

Default KOs of 1987 Japanese exclusive Headmaster Heads + more

The news of this release came out a few days ago. The following Japanese exclusive and ultra rare and expensive heads has been KO-ed and put in a giftset box:

1. Karku (Kirk)
    2. Rodney
    3. Loafer
    4. Lione
    5. Trizor
    6. Shuffler
    7. Spike
    8. Grand (Grand Max head)
    9. Lord Zarak (Scorponok); and
    10. Black Zarak's head

The first 6 has also been KO-ed as their Japan store exclusive, prototype white versions.

This is huge news and definitely major news for serious G1 collectors wanting to finish off the Japanese exclusives. Apart from the Dino-casettes, the 6 Headmaster Heads, especially the white versions, were all but unobtainable even if one had money to blow. I have spent many months and many many hours searching for the originals of these heads in the US, HK, SG, M'sia and Japan, but still came up empty. When I did find them, they were selling for in excess of $500 per head. Griffin would agree with how rare for example, Shuffler is.

According to veteran G1 collectors on TFW2005, the KO versions of these are virtually indistinguishable from the real ones except for the Takara stamps. The plastic quality used is also apparently superior to the vintages and the white heads uses a compound that is yellow resistant (apparently).

Only 1 seller on eBay has these and in the span of 2 days, he must have sold in excess of 30 sets. Each batch of auctions of 10 he/she loads up sells out within the hour. Here is the link. Some members on TFW2005 was already selling, but has sold out of sets, for US$250 each.

I managed to get 1 coloured set and 1 white set with-very-great-difficulty. These could become just as rare as the fabled Cliffjumper upgrade kit (but don't quote me on that).

Some pictures here (not my pictures).

10 heads set giftset box

The white "prototype" versions.
    In the 80s, these were only available on a very exclusive basis in certain retail stores in Japan and by far rarer than the already rare coloured versions. It's so rare that even Transformers: Generations only pictured the white Shuffler but not all the other 5 white heads. According to the seller I bought from, there are only 100 sets of white prototypes KO-ed and once sold out, that's it (if that can be believed).

Last edited by heroic_decepticon; 26th June 2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: grammar

80 dollars is comedy.

The REAL ones are rare and "worth" what they cost. These are just mass produced fakes.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

HD, please please please post up some photographs of the KO versions of the Headmaster Warriors where the date stamps are meant to reside, as well as the rivets on both sides.

I've been doing some research of my own into these and I've been following the sales of these sets on TFW2005 myself. I think Griffin was going to post some photo's for me in this older thread related to KO Headmaster Warriors.
    Last edited by Eruntalon; 26th June 2010 at 11:45 PM.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

i will certain post pics when I receive them. I just checked my original Spike, Zarak and Black Zarak and these do not have stamps on them. So they would have to be identified in other ways.

I read from TFW that the other 6 have stamps. So, we'll see. All of the ones from other auctions like Italy and all that were sourced from China it appears. A few sellers here and there were selling loose ones separately but now the 'manufacturer' have decided that they will sell it as a giftset.

I just bought a set from this guy too (I think). He also sells them on ioffer, if anyone is trying to get any. I think he still has some white gift sets left there too.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    80 dollars is comedy.

The REAL ones are rare and "worth" what they cost. These are just mass produced fakes.
    Pretty harsh there.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Pretty harsh there.
    Na I think its fair, it will be mass produced no one is going to be naive enough to think a KO maker is going to produce a limited run!!! Give it some time and price will come way down. Look at the devastator KO giftset and others boxed KO's.

The guys that produce them will be laughing all the way to the bank, and the lucky ones who own originals will be very pi55ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Cruncher View Post
    Na I think its fair, it will be mass produced no one is going to be naive enough to think a KO maker is going to produce a limited run!!! Give it some time and price will come way down. Look at the devastator KO giftset and others boxed KO's.

The guys that produce them will be laughing all the way to the bank, and the lucky ones who own originals will be very pi55ed.
    There have been many KO's that have had limited production runs e.g. G1 minibots, G1 cassettes (+ clear versions), Reflector, so there is good reason to suspect that these will be limited as well.

KO makers have the same limitations that Hasbro / TakTom have such as mold degradation and production costs. Given that most KO makers operate on a smaller scale with limited funds, there is no such thing as an endless supply of toys.

Your other point perplexes me - if someone already owns the originals, why would they care about KO's being produced? I know I don't because I'm not looking at resale value, however in most cases, original toys hold their value even more due to being original. I only feel for those that have yet to track down original toys and have to be especially careful when making a purchase because of so many dishonest sellers looking to flog-off KO's as legit toys.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Your other point perplexes me - if someone already owns the originals, why would they care about KO's being produced? I know I don't because I'm not looking at resale value, however in most cases, original toys hold their value even more due to being original. I only feel for those that have yet to track down original toys and have to be especially careful when making a purchase because of so many dishonest sellers looking to flog-off KO's as legit toys.
    Well say if you bought a transformer for $400 and for health reasons or whatever you need to sell it - would you mind if you got $300 because of KO's being freely available decreasing the amount of demand or $500+ which is its actual worth. You could advertise it as a buy now but with KO's vitually the same quality you could be advertising for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Cruncher View Post
    Well say if you bought a transformer for $400 and for health reasons or whatever you need to sell it - would you mind if you got $300 because of KO's being freely available decreasing the amount of demand or $500+ which is its actual worth. You could advertise it as a buy now but with KO's vitually the same quality you could be advertising for a very long time.
    But there are still those out there (myself included) that would rather have an original than a KO. The value of an original won't necessarily go down.