Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended shelving?

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    i use the besta cabinets from ikea with the glass shelving and looks a treat IMO
    pics pls loopy?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    Funny story. IKEA have a book out called Billy, all about the history of IKEA and the Billy bookcase. And Billy is actually a boy. Awkward!!
    :-S Awkward

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    pics pls loopy?
    ask and you shall receive, pics are pretty crappy though. the only thing is though you go to buy the glass shelving seperately at $20 each.
    the reason i went with the besta shelving is that its deeper than the billy bookcases which is what i would rather

i am getting a couple of these babies in the new year once the house is settled. i am really excited about getting the collection into them

Display Case

the price is pretty good considering i quoted around a custom display case
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    i am getting a couple of these babies in the new year once the house is settled. i am really excited about getting the collection into them

Display Case

the price is pretty good considering i quoted around a custom display case
    that does look nice

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    that does look nice
    +1
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    +1
    +2

As anyone who's seen my collection knows, for a long time I've been relegated to using cheap metal tool shelves from Bunnings. On the down side they're not as stable as wooden bookcases - if anyone bumps them they wobble. Also they don't look as nice and are a bit of an eyesore. But I have to say, on the plus side they hold a LOT of toys - way more than bookcases. Even more than a Billy. It's because they're designed to hold tools and big heavy things, they're pretty deep and you can fit in a lot more toys per unit than on a nice wooden bookcase.

I'm veeerrry slowly in the process of replacing my metal shelves with bookcases, and it amazes me each time how much shelf space I lose whenever I replace a smallish metal shelf with a wooden one -- the bookcase may be taller and look nicer, but they're much shallower and there's less area per shelf and thus they hold less toys! So economically speaking I think metal tool shelves offer the best value for money because they're so cheap (thus leaving you with money to spend on more toys!) and hold lots more toys... but on the downside they're more susceptible to wobbling if clumsy people bump them and some people say they don't look as nice.

Note: my daughter has NEVER bumped any of my metal shelves. It's only ever been clumsy adults who occasionally knock into them!

Check this out... earlier this year I replaced two sets of metal shelves...

...with Kilbys from Ikea (not as big and nice as Billys, but cheaper - we did buy Billys but my wife insisted on using those bookcases for books and let me have the Kilbys! )

Now it looks like those bookcases can hold more than those little metal shelves, but oh no! I _lost_ a substantial amount of shelf space because of it -- one entire shelf load in fact. My Machine Wars collection which was previously on one of those metal shelves...

...has been displaced to the TV stand!

So while my collection room may look a bit nicer now, I've had to sacrifice shelf space! Even with Billys - although I wouldn't lose as much space, I'd still lose some space. That's why I'm not in a hurry to replace my metal shelves (okay, the real reason is because bookcases are expensive and I'm tight Hey! I still got four sets of metal shelves that "need" replacing)

your collection is so much larger than mine, I reckon Billy's would od a good job of replacing your metal shelves, and you could have doors that would keep out the dust, but it would probalby cost at least a couple grand to replace all the shelving in that room.

I can see why it's a gradual shift if at all.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

You know where your REALLY losing space? That window.... It needs to go. You need to fill every wall with shelving for your giant collection.