View Poll Results: What gender is (are) your child(ren)?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boy(s)

15 40.54%
  • Girl(s)

6 16.22%
  • Both (even)

10 27.03%
  • More boys

3 8.11%
  • More girls

3 8.11%
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21313637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    What's a good age to buy my son his first Nerf gun?

#realparentingissues
    My son was 7 when he got his first Nerf gun. Ironically it ended up getting my husband into the whole Nerf thing too as we have Nerf shooting ranges here (think paintball but using Nerf guns instead).
    I think when they understand you can't shoot point blank or aim at people's heads is an appropriate age.
    My son isn't obsessed with Nerf - he's an Optimus Prime sword kinda kid who likes Nerf as it's just another fun thing to do but he does have mates who are absolutely crazed by guns and turn into monsters when they get a hold of one. We have to hide the Nerf guns when certain kids come over as they go crazy to the point of hardcore violence.

You know your son best so go with your gut and if you like Nerf get a gun for yourself too so you can play together - it's one of my son's favourite things to be able to Nerf Wars with dad.
    Just make sure to buy additional nerf bullets as it's much more fun with more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    What's a good age to buy my son his first Nerf gun?

#realparentingissues
    Orion was 3 - it had a spinning circular blade on the end so he could evicerate zombies.

My wife was less than impressed to say the least. I thought it was cool as it was nearly as big as Orion and only $29

I realise that this doesn't answer the question asked, but I remember when I was about 9 or 10, one of my mate's dad was a welder, he made us fake machine guns with which we used to play GI Joes down at the Dandenong Creek. Those things weighed a lot. We ran around chasing water rats the size of our arms, into the tunnels and drains under the roads around Dandenong.

It was a simpler time.

I agree with what Raider said, when they can understand to not go the intentional headshot by default. That's going to be different for all kids.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Took a few days annual leave to spend with the family and they both went and got sick on me. The kid was sick but wifey can't get out of bed. Today isn't fun because the kid is well enough to want to go outside and play but isn't quite well enough, so tantrums ensue.

To top it off, the mother in law went to grab some groceries for me today and part of that was the ingredients for chicken pasta soup. Except she forgot a few vital ingredients (she had a list). Which now means I can't make it unless I can get those things.

There's more, but I don't have time to type it
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Teenage boys would have to be the only ones who could wear a pair of shorts for 5 days straight and still claim they are clean. #NoJustNo

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

This so much!
    https://www.understood.org/en/family...e-dinner-table

On one hand I cannot believe that this is even a question that people need to ask, but on the other hand it never ceases to simultaneously astound me at how many people just don't get it and continue to allow and enable their children to use mobile devices at the table. I'm sure that it's super duper obvious common sense to all of us here that we (and our children) don't use mobile devices at the table... but I cannot tell you the number of times I see this happen in public.

What would you do if your teen daughter was harrassed (called babe or baby)? She's just wearing jeans and shirt to give context.

Would you just ignore it or do something about it?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This so much!
    https://www.understood.org/en/family...e-dinner-table

On one hand I cannot believe that this is even a question that people need to ask, but on the other hand it never ceases to simultaneously astound me at how many people just don't get it and continue to allow and enable their children to use mobile devices at the table. I'm sure that it's super duper obvious common sense to all of us here that we (and our children) don't use mobile devices at the table... but I cannot tell you the number of times I see this happen in public.
    I'm not disagreeing, but you have to at least wonder if this is just the way things are going, or what chance we all have to fight this kind of thing. The tech isn't going away. The only way thing that happens is we move onto the next thing. No one bats an eyelid at having the TV on during dinner now but that was a big no-no when I was a kid. Before we're dead, we'll probably be fighting VR at the table not mobiles!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    What would you do if your teen daughter was harrassed (called babe or baby)? She's just wearing jeans and shirt to give context.

Would you just ignore it or do something about it?
    I would do something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I'm not disagreeing, but you have to at least wonder if this is just the way things are going, or what chance we all have to fight this kind of thing. The tech isn't going away. The only way thing that happens is we move onto the next thing. No one bats an eyelid at having the TV on during dinner now but that was a big no-no when I was a kid. Before we're dead, we'll probably be fighting VR at the table not mobiles!
    Books have been around for centuries but it's still rude to read them at the table. It's not so much the tech but basic manners and respect -- i.e. not burying your head in some form of distraction and ignoring your present company.