Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US TF Ride Grand Opening

Default US TF Ride Grand Opening

At the start of the weekend just past, the US Transformers Ride (California Universal Studios) had its grand opening, and there was a big event featuring some big names in Transformers.

Peter Cullen, Frank Welker and Producer Steven Spielberg. Plus Bumblebee and Optimus Prime of course (vehicles and people in huge costumes).

A video clip can be seen here, while a heap of photos can be seen here.

For those ever planning to go to a future BotCon, or ever thought about it, this gives you another reason to go, as most flights from Australia enter America at Los Angeles.... and with a 1 or 2 night stop-over, you can do the Universal Studios on the way to whatever city is hosting BotCon that year. (or wait until the next BotCon is in LA)

More images and videos from the grand opening last weekend. (we don't usually get to see much of Frank Welker, as he doesn't usually do public or fan events)

Another video of the opening... don't know if it has anything new.

Decepticon Guest

Video has been removed by user

That's weird... (I should probably look at the videos in future)

The official Transformers channel here, has several videos of the ride, so maybe the one above was replaced with one of the others now there.

The owner of the Seibertron website has posted up comprehensive details and images of his trip to the Universal Studios in California, which shows off how the themepark has adopted a temporary Transformers theme, and, shows off a huge amount of merchandise in the gift shop.

Decepticon Guest

I am going to be sooo poor after visiting this shop.

Dammit... I worked it out as being possible to fly over to LA, go to the themepark for the day, and fly back without even staying the night (minimising cost, and time off from work)... if you are on the East coast of Australia.

It's best to be a Tuesday or Wednesday, to have the smallest crowd at the themepark.
    So if you fly out Wednesday morning by QANTAS, it arrives in LA around 6-8am (the same day, because of the dateline).
    Pre-organise transport to Universal Studios, and you have all day there, because the flights back to Australia leave LA at about midnight.... giving you at least 8 hours at the themepark.
    The flight back would then have you arriving around 5-7am Friday morning... which would give me enough time to work that day (if I could only get two days off).

Costs:
    - $1200-1500 return discount economy (Depending on sale fares)
    - transportation to and from themepark
    - entry to themepark
    - food and merchandise at the themepark.

It's starting to have me obsess about doing it now.

Anyone ever done that, or would even consider it (fly to another country, but not even stay the night)? I think the greatest concern would be customs in both countries thinking I was a drug courier.

Would anyone else be crazy enough to consider this?
    It is excessive, but considering how much I spend on TFs, especially with BotCon... the total expense of this idea would only end up costing about what I spent to fly down south to see the three TFs movies on IMAX. Sad to say it, but flying over to LA for the day would be better value than those three trips.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Costs:
    - $1200-1500 return discount economy (Depending on sale fares)
    - transportation to and from themepark
    - entry to themepark
    - food and merchandise at the themepark.
    That's one hell of an expensive theme park ticket

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Anyone ever done that, or would even consider it (fly to another country, but not even stay the night)? I think the greatest concern would be customs in both countries thinking I was a drug courier.

Would anyone else be crazy enough to consider this?
    It is excessive, but considering how much I spend on TFs, especially with BotCon... the total expense of this idea would only end up costing about what I spent to fly down south to see the three TFs movies on IMAX. Sad to say it, but flying over to LA for the day would be better value than those three trips.
    Well, I don't think it's crazy... if you can afford it. I'm sure you could make it work... plus it's a pretty cool story - flying to LA for a day to basically go on one ride. I like it!!

I'm gonna hopefully be in LA later this year, and this was one of the things I've already put down as "must do". If you do go on a Wed, it's a shame you couldn't take the Fri off too... then, with the weekend, you'd have 5 days in a row. Maybe you could stay an extra day?

At my work, it is easier to get mid-week days off, but not easy to get friday off... which was why I was formulating the idea around only being able to get two days off.
    But yeah, the craziness of the idea makes it a more interesting story to tell others.