Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IDW Comics

Yeah, the DW run started poorly and I felt the following six issues were even worse, but the ongoing was starting to get very interesting just prior to it's abrupt ending.

I re-read the first two DW collections last weekend, forgot how much I hated that the second mini completely ignored the end of the first (which was later retconned into the ongoing). Mick was an awful fanfic writer, and Shockwave was omnipotent in his knowledge and planning in that series.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I'm curious what you read though to come to this conclusion.

I personally really liked the ongoing series and was disappointed it ended, but it took 6 awful issues (but some people like that series), and another 6 okay issues, to get to the ongoing's starting point.
    Mmm... I wasn't keeping tabs on issue names as I was reading but I read up until what may have been the start of the Ongoing...

*Spoilers* for anyone who hasn't read these comics----

I read the series that culminated in Superion sacrificing himself for San Francisco (which I thought was a great comic, that scene really stabbed me in the heart) and Wheeljack stopping the Technovirus.
    But the next set I started to read was a battle in the snow... Shockwave arrived in a ship with Astrotrain, Blitzwing, etc, and started a battle with Prime and Megatron. The dialogue just felt so contrived and cliche and... silly. Like it was written for kids.
    You think I gave up too early?

The DW series got better as they went along. I didn't like the first series at all, the second series was okay, then after that things improved IMO (although the editing/proofing was shocking ). But I can understand why you'd give up if an earlier series didn't engage you. As much as some TF series get better toward the end, ultimately they should be good from the beginning (and hopefully improve from there), because without that early goodness, you're not likely to engage and retain audience interest later on. That's also what I didn't like about Animated -- didn't like Season 1, Season 2 was hit and miss (loved some eps, loathed others), then Season 3 was brill, but by that time it was too little too late -- and of course Season 3 is the only season of Animated that's never been released on DVD! Beast Wars Neo... almost that entire series is a snooze-fest... so damn repetitive and formulaic, but toward the end it gets interesting with the Blentron/Unicron story arc -- but who wants to sit through the rest of the entire series just to get up to that point??

Maybe next time you attend a fan meet you could ask someone to bring a copy of their DW issues or TPB for you to have a browse or even a read... try before you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Mmm... I wasn't keeping tabs on issue names as I was reading but I read up until what may have been the start of the Ongoing...
    You got to the start of the second DW limited series.

The third series was the "ongoing" and that's when the writing & art improved (IMHO).

What you might want to read is DW's War Within series. Very different to their "G1" books and the first is particularly well-regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    What you might want to read is DW's War Within series. Very different to their "G1" books and the first is particularly well-regarded.
    Cool, I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Cool, I'll give it a shot. Thanks
    Also written by Simon Furman, author of the "-tion" IDW stories and the latter part of Marvel US and the entire Marvel UK runs.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)