Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Well, Ive finished dosing a Scourge with the 12% Peroxide Creme and it took about a week. I applied not so thick though, and it's been raining that week so prolly why it took that long. Although he didnt turn out clear light, light blue instead there are some parts which are lighter for some reason , oh well, dunno what went wrong but it's not so immediately noticeable.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Well, Ive finished dosing a Scourge with the 12% Peroxide Creme and it took about a week. I applied not so thick though, and it's been raining that week so prolly why it took that long. Although he didnt turn out clear light, light blue instead there are some parts which are lighter for some reason , oh well, dunno what went wrong but it's not so immediately noticeable.
    So each time did you remove the existing cream and apply new stuff,
    Paint over the old cream with new cream or just do one coat and subject it to the sun for a week.? I'm doing a piranacon chest shield also and thats working a treat.

you didn't by any chance do a before and after pic? id be interested in seeing the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthprimus View Post
    you didn't by any chance do a before and after pic? id be interested in seeing the difference.
    Really sorry, wish i had.. scourges come up good after 3 or 4 days in the sun. (but my backyard only gets full sun for a couple of hours) superion worked well after one day. pirahnacon probably 2 days. Jewel lord diamon -no effect. (at least it didn't melt)
    Fingers whitened within minutes. tell-tail signs, severe burning sensation.

Actually one of the scourges is in the sales thread . Omega supremes g1/g2 lot. page 2 atm. And the silverbolt tail fin too.

here's pics. You can see what the piranacon shield was like.. looks like i missed a spot. (pics on the stickers wiped off)
    . Going to blast the scourge wings again. you can see the indentation line is actually bluer then the rest of the affected area. i can only think that more of the cream stuck in that area or didn't dry out as quick in the sun. nearly passable.
    superion shield was not bad but did it anyway. you can see the slight diff between front and back.
    not sure about abominus head. i kinda like how it yellowed. but if it gets a treatment this is the before pic.
    Last edited by Slag; 20th March 2012 at 08:50 PM.

here is the abominus head after 1 day. (Full sun to back of head, sides tomorrow) i went too far with the piranacon chest shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Geigerrock-2 View Post
    So each time did you remove the existing cream and apply new stuff,
    Paint over the old cream with new cream or just do one coat and subject it to the sun for a week.? I'm doing a piranacon chest shield also and thats working a treat.
    sorry late reply- I applied a good coating and after 2 days - since it looks like it's dried a bit Id wash it off - pat dry it then apply another coat and do the same process. I wasnt able or rather couldnt be bothered to take before and after pics coz I had a friend from overseas staying over so at best the attention it got from me was every 2 days or so of changing the coats. Playing host for 2 weeks to tourists is tiring hehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I bet. I'm just winging it atm. i'd like to try the jar/liquid technique . that way it wouldn't dry. might even help with light refracting?. I'm finding i gotta do 1 side at a time this way. good for keeping stickers on though..

Well you have to look for big mouthed jars and also preferably with a glass lid, that way the lid wont cause any shadow - there's some available at Reject Shop or some of those Homeware shops managed by Korean ladies - cheap too! Make sure it's a good seal otherwise it'll evaporate. Youll need a heckavalot of H2O2 liquid for it though....

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    Okay I thought I would give this a go. First up was G1 Whirl with 6%Peroxide been two days and is working but so slow. Next up I got a one ltr bottle of 12% Creme Peroxide from (Price attack?) Lots of Hair products (was my wifes idea to look at that place)

I used it on my G1 Getaway. Painted it on thick with a brush and left him out in the sun all day. It worked great and he is as white as he was when he was new. No damage has been done to the figure. Total success. Will try it on the Whirl tomorow I think.
    Hi guys,
    some great findings on this topic, just like to say thanks to everyone that has contributed their findings. A lot of my (purchased white) transformers are yellowing all of a sudden with no exposure that I am aware of to the sun which is very dis-heartening to say the least.

I wanted to try the peroxide cream on my getaway but had some questions for Vert if he is still using this site.

1. Did you dis-assemble your Getaway and only put the affected parts in the sun?
    2. Did you cover up the blue parts and windshield (I am paranoid that exposing these parts to the sun un-necessarily will damage them too)?
    3. Did you just paint around the stickers or remove them first using the zippo fluid technique?

Any thing you can tell me would be great. Thanks...

Also what do you guys do with the removed stickers while whitening the toy. Put it on a used sticker sheet backing or something?
    Has anyone NOT had their toy return to yellow after using any of the peroxide processes?

Thanks in advance...

Well, as for stickers, since my G1's are basically old old and not as pristine as Heroics's figures are, the stickers tend to be quite dilapidated and old so once I peel em I just get reprolabels instead. It actually makes the figure look better after the revitilizing bleaching bath - almost like new.

As for figures going yellow again, sadly it does, as to how long before it does it again not sure, my Actionmaster megatron is yellowy/ish again after about a year post the bath but Im reluctant to dip him again coz I dont have replacement stickies for his chest symbol, and plus the other painted parts are faded already from the previous bathing. Im kinda lazy so I didnt bother to disassemble the figure first - it's too small.