• Positive

9 81.82%
  • Only if (cheap)

1 9.09%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • Negative

0 0%
  • My collection will have a distinct tactical deficiency with him!

1 9.09%

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Deluxe Perceptor

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Deluxe Perceptor

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 4

Hasbro actually did it. They released a modern Perceptor that has a microscope alt mode, which in itself is already a huge win for me.

Microscope mode

It's a very faithful recreation of the G1 toy, down to the sticker details on the outside of the base. The object lens can be adjusted by the silver knob to extend or retract. It looks like both lenses are actually magnifying glass but it is hardly a "functional" microscope. I've never owned G1 Perceptor back in the day, but I loved the miniature microscope I had. Not sure if the kids today would appreciate a microscope for an alt mode.

How this mode interacts with TMs is they can be put on the stage like a slide to be "examined". There's no other way to store his Titan master but I'm not overly concerned about having to store every part in every mode.

Tank mode
    This mode is not even in the instructions, but there's actually more dedicated parts and joints for this mode than the microscope mode, and I do very appreciate HasTak to have included this.

Again, for what it is, it is quite faithful to the G1 toy, down to the angled up body. The painted treads look nice.

Just a couple of specific engineering for tank mode: there's a tab the end of the black platform that the microscope tube hooks on; and the front of the robot waist piece can lift up for better access to pilot area. They didn't use the standard foot pegs here for Convex to stand, but instead there's a couple of tabs that are supposed to hold the standard peg on the back of any TM's legs, and a one tab to go between a groove cut on Convex's legs. As far I can tell, this groove doesn't exist on any other TM, which means only Convex can fit in this pilot area. Pretty strange design choice. Worse still, due to tolerance issue, I haven't been able to fully peg Convex in, so he now only kind of stands there, with the chest piece stopping him from falling backwards.

The 5mm ports on the either forearm are conveniently positioned here to armor the tank up, and there's one TM peg on either side.

Titan Master Convex

He's neat little G1 toy Perceptor! Although lacking any paint app, the matte black plastic used make the sculpted details look quite nice in person.

Transformation
    It's very similar to the G1 engineering. Again, I do very much appreciate the effort that went into making a third mode.

Robot mode

I quite like the 'bot mode. The nature of the design allows him to have a very kibble free back. The microscope tube is quite big but again it's toy accurate, and short of parts swapping it is physically impossible to have it shrink like in the cartoon. Also, it is overhung from the back quite a bit and does make him a bit tricky to stand.

His head sculpt is IDW-inspired. In person it looks so much better than the CAD renders make it do. TT is most certainly going to replace it with the nerdy scientist face But similar to my feelings towards a lot of TR figures, I like this being an amalgamation of different versions of the character. It gives the new fans that love the current IDW comics extras incentive to buy this toy, just like all those G1 references make us old timers smile. Also it's hard to make out in the photo but the red plastic has a pearly sheen to it.

He is a on the small side of Deluxe figures, but I think he scales well with Hot Rod and Kup here.

Articulation is quite standard for a deluxe. It's a shame he can't hold his sniper rifle with both hands due to the lack of wrist swivel.

Overall
    I already knew I'd love Kup and everyone's raving about Topspin, but Perceptor turns out to be the pleasant surprise in this wave for me. He doesn't do a whole lotta tricks but the things he does do, they are done very well.

“I fear the wounds are...fatal."

Meh, I'm happy enough with the previous CHUGUR Perceptor. If I wanna play with a G1 accurate microscope Perceptor, I'll play with G1 Perceptor. A shame that Convex is so poorly painted, although it's cool that he has a G1 toy-accurate faceplate. I might be tempted to get this toy if they repainted it as Magnificus though, as I'm just a sucker for that character.

FatalityPitt Guest

He's beautiful. Apart from the Titan Master gimmick (which is a welcome addition), he's quite a faithful update of the original toy. Even has an actual lens! I was on the fence, but now I might add him to my to-buy list.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    A shame that Convex is so poorly painted, although it's cool that he has a G1 toy-accurate faceplate. I might be tempted to get this toy if they repainted it as Magnificus though, as I'm just a sucker for that character.
    When you ignore his red shin guards, Convex kinda looks like Magnificus.

That face sculpt is a fine piece of craftsmanship. The metallic paint makes all the difference. On Convex's plus side, he does have a nice and sturdy pin through his hip joint.

Joints on mine were all sturdy with the exception of the teal leg joints, a joint that is only used for transformation. He's lighter than most TR Deluxes. In robot mode he has hollow shoulders & arms due to transformation which is a bit unfortunate, and in microscope mode the back area is also hollow from the chest extending upwards. However all is necessary to give him a G1-faithful alt mode, whilst maintaining a top robot mode without the figure being Voyager/Leader sized like Blaster.

At first he seemed a bit boring as he couldn't do many poses, but you can use the adjust his teal heels down a bit - just enough so he can stand with his knees/chest slightly bent forward for a more heroic ready-for-action stance.

I don't really mind his lack of wrist swivel to hold his rifle with two hands. At least not as much as his sniper rifle looking far less menacing than it should because of the Titanmaster cockpit gimmick. Most other TR Deluxes's weapons can be split into two and thus the void is far less apparent.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Got to see/handle this figure IRL on the weekend. Disappointed to see the bump on the back of the head interferes with head articulation.

I have the Universe commemorative edition (AKA G1 reissue) of Perceptor and he's impressive in all three modes. A very rare case of a G1 I like.

So when looking at the TR version, I have to say that the tank/mobile artillery mode is the weakest (the wheels just don't roll like they do on the G1 version). Both are equal to me in microscope mode.
    As for the robot mode, it has more poseability and better proportion than G1 Perceptor but of course that really goes without saying.

I never thought I'd be saying this but the G1 version wins out.

Has anyone had issues trying to detach the Titan Master?
    Mine doesn't want to come off. It seems to plug into a small black clip-kinda thing which comes off the main Perceptor figure but I can't take the Titan Master off the clip. I'm worried it will break if I keep trying to pull it off.