Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with superceded or redundant MP's?

Default What to do with superceded or redundant MP's?

Some of you that collected MP's from the beginning would have more experience with this than me. But with the recent and future + releases and impending V3 Prime, I'm starting to wonder what to do with my display when I suddenly have two versions of a character?

With Sideswipe, I'm going to display the original MP-12 in car mode in another cabinet and display the + version in bot mode with the rest of the G1 cartoon Autobots. With Red Alert I only have the + version opened for display so it's not a problem.

When V3 Prime eventually comes out, I will display MP-10 with the other MP-10 repaints I have recently collected.

So what say you? Will you simply not buy the new versions, satisfied with what you have?

Or will you, like me, continue to upgrade in search of the best version of the character? In this case, do you sell/give away your current versions? Will you set up separate cartoon and toy accurate displays? Or perhaps banish your original/inferior(?) versions to the shadow realm (ie packing them away or displaying them with your diaclone/G2 MP oddities?).

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Personally I'm not really into the "toon only" MPs. I've still purchased figures of characters I wanted like Megatron and Sunstreaker where my only choice is either accept the new direction or go without. While I would have liked more detail on these newer figures, to be honest they still look good with the existing figures to my eyes so it hasn't been a huge thing. So I don't buy any of the plus series MPs to replace my original purchases.

I am a huge fan of MP-10 so unless I really am blown away by this new MP Prime I doubt I will buy it. I actually have 2 MP-10 already, one Hasbro and one Takara. I purchased the Takara version a few years ago to keep MISB but he arrived with broken tape So he has just sat in storage. I was going to sell him but with this new version coming he probably won't have much value. Since I wouldn't sell both MP-10, perhaps Hasbro prime could become my G2 Prime but I think he actually works better with MP-36 and a 3rd Prime would complicate things even more...

I usually end up selling but because of the impending flood of similar-minded people be prepared for the possibility of making a loss. I’ve done this with a few figures, mostly Hasbro MPs.

If I find Optimus V3 worth getting, I’ll likely end up keeping my MP-10 for the interim and store him in the cupboard.

Well I've decided with the exception of a couple of characters I really love that have not been even teased yet (Jazz, Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge) I'm not going to collect any more G1 MPs other than MP Optimus V3. That still leaves me with some redundant figures so for the V1 and V2 of Optimus and V1 of the Seekers and Megatron, I'm going to sell them. At least I won't need to worry about any more redundant figures after Prime.

I have both my MP4 next to MP5 on display with MP10 next to MP36 on another part of the shelf. Even MP2 same shelf as MP22. Still have my Hasbro MP1 in my bedroom. Have both Hasbro and Takara Soundwaves. Bought Hasbro almost solely for all the cassettes, but couldn't sell either. Also have silver Bluestreak as well as blue Bluestreak.

Delving into 3P MP too, I have Sunstreaker and 3P one. Both have their own qualities. And a 3P megs too. I'd buy an official Shockwave if I could find a cheap one. And if any other 3P I have get an official treatment, I'll buy it too

I did end up selling my Hasbro Thundercracker and kept my Takara one, but only coz I needed money at the time.

They all have a place in my displays. If there's a new Prime, if he looks good, I may get one

Display one of each in different modes.

My MP1 is in robot mode while MP10 is in truck mode.
    MP5 is in gun mode while MP36 is in robot mode.
    MP Bluestreak is in robot mode while MP Blue Streak is in car mode.

I do the same with G1 reissues and CHUG - typically the reissue is in robot mode while the G1 is in vehicle mode. Many examples from CHUG, but I recently acquired POTP Tailgate who's displayed in car mode while my Generations Tailgate is in robot mode.

I've found my MP collection changing over the years, at first I was a completist but have realised it's all getting a bit silly with the variant releases.
    I have sold some off like my three clear packaged Hasbro Jets, I think I had 16 jets at one stage and still hadn't snagged the Takara Sunstorm.
    Some I've kept because they look cool like Loud Pedal, but I got rid of Grapple because the character doesn't do much for me, but I have Artfire and Inferno which are similar looking mould-wise.
    So yeah, I'm a bit all over the place, I'm glad Has/Tak are doing reissues and slight variants though, it keep prices down, yes we may lose on re-sale here and there but if it brings more collectors in and we can buy for our kids without stressing out about the item getting damaged with play that's a good thing.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Galvatran Guest

My collection bin coming to a home near you. Just don't stomp on them...

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post

I will simply continue to buy them all and box them in storage then figure out display once I have room

I'm a completionist so they are like pokemon for me 'gotta catch 'em all!'