View Poll Results: Is Sky Shadow worth getting?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh yes he is in deed worth getting

15 55.56%
  • Yeah maybe, only if I can get him cheap

5 18.52%
  • Possibly, I'll have to think about it

0 0%
  • I'm gonna skip him and get Overlord instead

5 18.52%
  • Nah, don't really like him at all

1 3.70%
  • Nope, have little to no interest in him.

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Sky Shadow

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Sky Shadow

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - new (pretool of Overlord)
    Wave - 4
    Released here - Feb 2016
    Approximate Retail Price - $90
    Approximate Size - 23cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-modes - Jet & Tank/Base
    Main Features/Gimmicks - compatible with Titan Masters, can link with other Leader and Titan Class figures
    Main Colours - Black, Grey and Red
    Main Accessories - Gun, Ominus Titan Master

Robot Mode

Sky Shadow is, actually a pretty decent toy. Obviously this is a pretool of Overlord, but clearly the toy was designed with both in mind. Why Sky Shadow? I'm not too certain even though we had one 6 years ago, but hey I never had that toy so this is my first Sky Shadow toy!

Articulation wise, he is more articulated than most of the other figures in the toyline. While he does lack wrist articulation, he does have ankle articulation and even his neck has some!

Tank/Jet Mode
    Despite being advertised as a quadruple changer, I would call him a triple changer because his Jet and Tank modes are made by splitting him in half (again, because he is a pretool of Overlord)
    His Jet mode looks nice, and does look like Sky Shadow's Jet mode. His tank mode doesn't look bad, but doesn't interest me as much cause his name is Sky Shadow, not Land Lhadow

Base Mode

Base Mode is, amazing. Like seriously. It looks amazing and has a few things the Titan Masters can do.
    What's also awesome is that because it's a leader class toy, it can combine with other Leader class toys to form part of Decepticon City!

Overall
    Sky Shadow is an awesome toy, and I really do enjoy him. I recommend, only if you had any interest in him in the first place.

Note: His titan master is based off Mega, so if anything I recommend picking up both Sky Shadow and Overlord.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

No interest in this toy, but I can't wait to get Overlord!
    I like the term "pretool" ("predeco").
    Also interesting to see that Ominus is based on Mega as I was expecting Giga. So I guess this might meant that Overlord will be a male Decepticon with a female Headmaster component (although this isn't the first time it's happened - re: Daniel/Arcee).

Not sure what "Ominus" is meant to mean unless it's just a misspelling of "Ominous." Ominous comes from the Latin ōminōsus ("foreboding") and it's not spelt as "ominus" in any of its declensions. So 'Ominus' is either a misspelling or a nonsensical made-up word. "Mega" (and likely "Giga" too) are probably too common/generic words for Hasbro to trademark. Although they might have gotten away with adding a suffix to it, like "Megacon" or something like that.

As the inverse to Gok, I have no interest in Overlord but want the hell out of Sky Shadow . I bought him from Robot Kingdom to save the hassle of finding it here but have to wait for a preorder to come in before it ships.

Looks good though Handsprime. It's sounds like I'm gonna love it
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The design of this guy looks really good, I was initially just waiting for Overlord, but the colours on BS just manage to work really well (in fact, I think might like them a bit better than OL!). I will wait for Overlord and hope that he comes with two TM characters (maybe).

Does BS have a chst holding area for another head?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Not sure what "Ominus" is meant to mean unless it's just a misspelling of "Ominous." Ominous comes from the Latin ōminōsus ("foreboding") and it's not spelt as "ominus" in any of its declensions. So 'Ominus' is either a misspelling or a nonsensical made-up word. "Mega" (and likely "Giga" too) are probably too common/generic words for Hasbro to trademark. Although they might have gotten away with adding a suffix to it, like "Megacon" or something like that.
    I would go with Ominus going with rodimUS/OptimUS theme and being a play on Ominous. They wouldn't name this guy Giga or Mega because those characters belong to Overlord, so there is no need to call Ominus those names. They had to make a new name for the TM.

Makes me wonder what Giga/Mega were called in the Euro release of Overlord. Off to google!

Hehehehe... "BS"

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I would go with Ominus going with rodimUS/OptimUS theme and being a play on Ominous.
    ...that is just stoopidz. "Optimus" is a real Latin word. "Rodimus" is a nonsense word but they were "Latinising" it from Hot Rod, so there's some reasoning there.
    They wouldn't name this guy Giga or Mega because those characters belong to Overlord, so there is no need to call Ominus those names. They had to make a new name for the TM.
    Okay, that makes sense, and my previous comment about it was stoopidz.
    Umbram Nigrum is Latin for "Black Shadow," although I can understand why Hasbro USA would avoid using the word "Nigrum" considering that an offensive N-word that rhymes with 'digger' is comes from this word. Perhaps "Umbram Tenebram" ("Dark Shadow") might be better. Or "Umbram Caelum" ("Sky Shadow"). Anyway, I'm ranting over spilt milk.

Interestingly enough it seems that the Overlord redeco's Titan Master will be called "Dreadnaut" (sic). Like Ominus it also shares the same mould that's modelled after Mega, but the colours are based on Giga! :eek" I gotta say that that's pretty cool. If you can't give Overlord both Giga and Mega, then blending them together is not a bad alternative. And it makes me wanna fansplain Dreadnaut as the son or daughter of Giga and Mega. Not sure why they've misspelt "Dreadnought" (or "Dreadnaught" - equally accepted spelling) as "Dreadnaut". Is there another character with this name which may be preventing Hasbro from trademarking it?

Makes me wonder what Giga/Mega were called in the Euro release of Overlord. Off to google!
    I suspect that they were unnamed. I never saw Hasbro's Overlord - it was released here but in incredibly small numbers. But considering that the Motivator's "Energon figures" (Brainmasters) were all unnamed, I suspect that Overlord's would be too. TFU.info simply refers to their Anglophone names as "Engine."

I like that I don't have to de-headmaster Sky Shadow to transform him

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    That sounds awesome. This is something that I enjoy about Sixshot too. I hope that this becomes more of a standard feature with other TR figures (even if it's just the larger boxed figures; may not be possible w/ Deluxes).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That sounds awesome. This is something that I enjoy about Sixshot too. I hope that this becomes more of a standard feature with other TR figures (even if it's just the larger boxed figures; may not be possible w/ Deluxes).
    Yeah just rotate the head 360°, not as fancy as Sixshot's.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Yeah it's awesome how PM Optimus, Six Shot and Sky Shadow/Overlord don't have to have the titan master removed to be able to be transformed. Perfect for the people who want the toys, but don't care about the gimmick!
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Great review!

I've seen him in person and I have to say they've done a really good job to distinguish him and Overlord. The engineering is on the simple side, but I do like the leg transformation; it's a very smart use of the volume in the legs to hide the tank turret.

I will probably only get Overlord, but I suspect lots of comic-oriented collectors would want to get this as well to complete their Phase-sixers.