Page 15 of 154 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202535 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

By the way thanks, Paul

Saw dkr got the cup very disappointed with the cup. The movie was great lots and lots of people though argh....

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Posted elsewhere, but thought I'd do it here too. Here's my review of The Dark Knight Rises. Don't worry - it's Spoiler Free! Feel free to post comments on the Blog

I Saw the Devil (2010)

It's taken me a long time but I finally summoned up the courage to watch this highly regarded Korean revenge thriller. I Saw the Devil is from the same director as the brilliant A Tale of Two Sisters, and the bad guy is Min-sik Choi, famous for his leading role in Old Boy. Given these facts, the movie has a lot to live up to. Does it deliver? Oh boy does it ever!!

Special agent Soo-hyun is a man forever changed after his fiance is brutally murdered by psychopath Kyung-chul. Revenge is on his mind, the only thing on his mind. It's all he lives for now, to the point where killing Kyung-chul isn't enough. He wants him to experience the same pain that he inflicted on his fiance...Over an incredibly long period of time. This is largely what makes I Saw the Devil such a refreshing and fascinating, but also deeply unsettling, film to watch.

Just as fascinating as the premise is the relationship between the killer and the hunter. These guys don't just meet at the end of the film as is typical of these kind of movies, they're continually locking horns and it's just great to watch. My favourite scene involves a heart to heart between the two characters during a climactic part of the movie. The chemistry between the actors, the acting, the raw emotion is just phenomenal. You'll know the scene I'm talking about if you see it.

There are a couple of other incredibly creepy characters along the way, one of whom alludes to why the psychopath does what he does. It's not spelled out to you, but the clues are there and it's a frightening realisation. Eep!

In my opinion, this is the best movie of it's kind since Silence of the Lambs. If you made it through that, you should be able to survive I Saw the Devil. Incredible movie!

I saw The Bourne Legacy tonight and really didn't like it. It felt like a rip off movie rather than a sequel. Too many people having cryptic conversations with each other for no reason (except to make it mysterious for the audience). Not enough action (by the time Kenny, yes Australia's own Kenny, is chasing the hero you're just glad that something is happening). Watch the original trilogy again instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I saw The Bourne Legacy tonight and really didn't like it. It felt like a rip off movie rather than a sequel. Too many people having cryptic conversations with each other for no reason (except to make it mysterious for the audience). Not enough action (by the time Kenny, yes Australia's own Kenny, is chasing the hero you're just glad that something is happening). Watch the original trilogy again instead.
    Good thing I didn't see it then, was tempted to go only because it's Bourne-related.

Easy A (2010)

Just saw a Cashies-copy of Easy A and though it is an entertaining movie with the lovely and taleneted Emma Stone and it has a decent moral to it. Downside is that it's just too unbelievable (yes I know it's fiction) that it's rather detrimental to the moral of the story - her parents are wayyy too laid back (SPOILERS: They're still happy when she tells them she's pretending to have chlamydia to help out another character, or when she's announcing how she could possibly lose her v-card to her love-interest any second or day on a live-webcam show!), some characters are way too-over the top and there's always the love-interest that shows up in the story to make our so-called 'outcast' of a protagonist have a happy ending. A cop-out for sure, but understandable one I guess as this movie is one of those feel-good movies aimed at teenagers meant to prevent the said-demographic from being too depressed about life.

I'm no longer using the normal 0-10 rating system and instead will adopt Spill.com's ratings system and give this movie a low Matinee.

^ Loved that movie; love Emma Stone (probably not as much as Jim Carrey though).
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Find this movie - "Friends with Kids" - really funny. But then my humor may not be the same as most.

Most men would wish relationships were as easy as "Friends with Benefits". But women aren't going to agree with it.

Wrath of the Titans - not worth seeing. Nothing beats the original Andromeda in the original Clash of the Titans

So... has anyone else seen Resident Evil Retribution yet?

I give it a high-rental. It was alright for an action-packed movie, there was the sense of a rising challenge like in a video game as the movie progressed but the action scenes, even the last one weren't that awe-inspiring like the first time I saw Iron-Man or Transformers. I can't expect much from a plot that's based on a video game - but that shouldn't excuse writers and filmmakers from just relying on cardboard characters. The one thing I was really impressed by this movie was the score, done by Tomandandy. It may have a tron-like influence to it but that's the type of music that I don't mind having my ears pummeled with.

It's not a bad movie, and you know that the cast and crew were enthusiastic about it when they made it - but perhaps if they just took a step back and put more thought into it it could have become something much more than meets the eye...

Cool, I'll hit up a BD rip when it's out!