Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to bond broken plastic?

Default What do you use to bond broken plastic?

Annoyingly, the handlebar socket on my Wreck-Gar has snapped (the plastic ring piece the handlebar rotates in for transformation). It's only a tiny piece but no doubt many have experienced the disappointing and unexpected snapping of small and fragile plastic parts during transformation.

So I was wondering what you use to bond these pieces together, ie what is the strongest? What lasts the longest? What leaves the least residue or discolouration?

I had contemplated super glue but from past experience with other plastic items it tends to leave a white residue and isn't all that strong anyway.

The other thing I was considering was araldyte.

Would be interested to know your thoughts?

This is a common problem with this mold (Copied from Transformers Wiki "There's an automorph-like feature in his right leg. Pulling up on the gas tank causes his rubber handlebars to be dislodged and moved to the side. Do NOT unhinge the handlebars manually. Moving the handlebars manually creates stress points in the hinges that connect them to the gas tank, resulting in many reported instances of broken hinges. Unfortunately, many have found that the nubs that hold the handlebars in place in bike mode are too strong, and even using the automorph as intended causes the hinges to quickly break. Cutting the nubs off has been the only consistent fix to prevent breakage")

I had this same thing happen to me 5 mins after opening the box....All I used was a bit of 5min epoxy, make sure you sand the damaged parts or they wont bond properly, I suggest you fill the original hole in. Don"t use the original pins, If you have some spare small thin screws like the ones you get when you pull a toy or Transformer apart.Use these instead of the pins. Also cut of the small knobs, theses are the problem, you loose the automorph though..

I had this same problem with my Wreck-Gar. I've tried different things but never any that worked. Super glue stains the plastic white, nothing else I've tried has worked.

I just use money to repair broken toys these days.

What about that putty mold they sell at hobby / board game stores? The ones that cost $7ish. You can use that to bridge the two parts together, yet it'll leave your toy with a green chunk of putty there but surely it could be painted over or left as a reminder of the design flaw in this toy.

Thanks guys, got a few ideas now. Will have a think about which one to try.

Tabias Prime I feel lucky that I got so much use out of mine before this happened, having it happen within 5 minutes of opening I reckon I would've taken mine back...

Good find on the Wiki, I didn't realise this was such a common issue with this figure.

used in very small amouts super glue is pretty good, though does stain if you're not careful.

there is also a clear dry, two partepoxy from selly's you can use, also sparingly. I have used it once or twice, it's very strong, fast drying, just need to be vry careful not to get it on anything you don't want stuck to something else.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    Thanks guys, got a few ideas now. Will have a think about which one to try.

Tabias Prime I feel lucky that I got so much use out of mine before this happened, having it happen within 5 minutes of opening I reckon I would've taken mine back...

Good find on the Wiki, I didn't realise this was such a common issue with this figure.
    I could of taken it back, but in the end it wasn't worth the time, and trying to find another one at the time was almost impossible, but with 12 years worth of sticking thing together with exopys and fibreglass, it was a simply fix for me, I probably did a better job than Hasbro.... , but I certainly more careful with my Junkheap...

You would think Hasbro would have made such fragile parts from metal but then again plastic is no doubt cheaper...

I understand what you mean about finding another figure...

Out of all the materials that superglue bonds, it is my experience also that the best results are on flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    You would think Hasbro would have made such fragile parts from metal but then again plastic is no doubt cheaper...

I understand what you mean about finding another figure...

Out of all the materials that superglue bonds, it is my experience also that the best results are on flesh.
    you would be surprised at the long term weakness of metal in small thin parts that have high frequency low loads when compared to plastic.

look up metal fatigue.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)