Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pawn stars - Transformers Collection

thats a awsome collection! Id just put them in storage and wait to buy a bigger house

its always comforting to see another nut who likes to collect multiples like me.

whatever the reason, its still a shame that he had to sell his entire collection...

I hope he was not seriously considering parting with his collection for $18,000-20,000.00. That better be the best baby in the world.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

Quote Originally Posted by Eruntalon View Post
    I hope he was not seriously considering parting with his collection for $18,000-20,000.00. That better be the best baby in the world.

True, if that baby ends up being lazy ass backtalker when its older , Id flog him/her silly with a 2x4 with nails on it .... he/she doesnt know how much his dad sacrificed just so they can have him/her....

see Tfs never backtalk, they may be lazy just standing there but at least your not expecting it to move hehehe unlike babies... someone really should advice these couple better. someone without an ulterior motive unlike them Pawnstars guys
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Even the expert was rather reserved in his pricing, If the owner was to look around ongoing prices for his items ( sure a lot of effort) he'd see he can make MORE than $20,000 that he is aiming for.
    The 'expert' wasn't going to say more than the $20,000 the dude wanted though, because said expert was a friend of the Pawn Stars and wouldn't want to come in there and raise the 'reserve' price. That collection is definitely worth more than $20,000, but they're right that it would require work and effort to sell it that the Pawn Stars (like the babydaddy) weren't necessarily willing to put in.

"My Transformers take up the entire room, and both the Transformers and my baby can't be in it."

Okay... this guy has been building this massive collection for 25+ years since he was a kid sacrificing his lunch money. So when entering into a relationship, purchasing a house and planning a family - as the owner of a large collection, surely you'd factor that in somewhere!!

Cos that's pretty much what I did. When my wife and I bought our home, I made sure that there we had a spare room for my Transformers. We have a room for ourselves, a spare room that we use for guests and will become our daughter's room in the near future, and of course, another room for my TF toys. There's no way I would've bought a smaller house if it meant I had to even put my toys in storage in boxes in the garage! Selling my collection just wouldn't be an option for me.

Sure, when you have a baby sacrifices must be made. It's why I don't have MP Grimlock and I'm a lot more discerning with getting toys now. I've also decided to sell off a lot of my non-TF toys too (as some of you have noticed ).

Now judging from this video, this dude's collection seems to be predominantly G1 and G2 (I did see a Machine Wars Starscream though, heh) - which as griffin said, isn't that many figures if you take away the multiples. So if I were him... I'd consider selling all the multiples and keeping the best of each toy and do what most other collectors do and own ONE of each toy! He could keep them in storage until he can afford to upgrade to a bigger house.

But even if he's adamant on selling his entire collection... he'd be better off putting into evaluating each toy individually, and selling them individually instead of as a lot. Cos people WILL buy his toys individually (I saw a few toys I'd buy off him) but who would want to buy the entire collection? He'd make more money out of it too. Like they said, those boxed Fortress Maximuses would sell for a pretty penny each.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So if I were him... I'd consider selling all the multiples and keeping the best of each toy and do what most other collectors do and own ONE of each toy!
    That is the most logical option (unless he wants to go cold turkey.) And it would make him that $18,000 as long as he has the time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    "My Transformers take up the entire room, and both the Transformers and my baby can't be in it."

Okay... this guy has been building this massive collection for 25+ years since he was a kid sacrificing his lunch money. So when entering into a relationship, purchasing a house and planning a family - as the owner of a large collection, surely you'd factor that in somewhere!!

Cos that's pretty much what I did. When my wife and I bought our home, I made sure that there we had a spare room for my Transformers. We have a room for ourselves, a spare room that we use for guests and will become our daughter's room in the near future, and of course, another room for my TF toys. There's no way I would've bought a smaller house if it meant I had to even put my toys in storage in boxes in the garage! Selling my collection just wouldn't be an option for me.
    While I was only buying for me, when I was looking for a house I too had in mind the future of my collection. As it turns out I have a really nice room I can fit out and showcase what I have now and later (the rest of the place isn't too shabby either ).

The guy in the clip is clearly switched on about his collection and what it's worth - I can't help but think there are some other reasons as to why he's willing to part with it for so little. Sure, having and raising a child is a big - and expensive - responsibility, but I'm assuming he had nine months to come up with an alternative to the rather extreme: All stock must Go!

Quote Originally Posted by snazzbot 101 View Post
    I can't help but think there are some other reasons as to why he's willing to part with it for so little.
    It's called a wife
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

RokDog is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It is a shame when people feel they have to sell their collection, but I can understand where they're coming from. In this guy's case, when you discover you're going to be a father, that probably had a pretty profound impact on what was more important to him. Space is one thing, but $20k in a trust fund over 18 years will cover the kid's future college fees!

For me, after I got a mortgage, all of a sudden the TF collection dropped much lower on my list of priorities. It's hard to keep collecting when in the back of my head every $100 I spent on bots is actually costing me $100 plus 7% over the next however many years lol

Whilst I could never part with the collection, I do look back and have regrets buying multiples of whatever I was obsessing over at the time: 8 Gnaws, 60+ cassettes, at least 3 of every combiner (excl Japanese ones). I just so couldn't sell em off after all the effort I went to in finding them!