15 46.88%
  • Not very good

6 18.75%
  • I refuse to have anything to do with it

1 3.13%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (JULY-2013) Armada Era - Rate it

Quote Originally Posted by Ae-Evolution View Post
    The first Transformers series I ever saw. Can't say it was the best ones, but I loved it at the time, still enjoy it now. My first figures were from the series, Powerlinx Jetfire and Overload (Then Optimus ~9 years later).
    Damn you be young!

<feeling.old>

---------------------------------

On another note... despite this franchise being called "Armada" there's a distinct absence of any actual armada. The Mini-Cons fled Cybertron in a single refugee ship... hardly an armada. And the Autobots and Decepticons travelled to Earth via warp/space bridge.

I voted a better one, as stated there were a lot of good qualities and not so good ones about Armarda. But it did help continue into the Energon series and like Griffin stated about the minicons being used still to this day. Even TFP is using them.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    On another note... despite this franchise being called "Armada" there's a distinct absence of any actual armada. The Mini-Cons fled Cybertron in a single refugee ship... hardly an armada. And the Autobots and Decepticons travelled to Earth via warp/space bridge.
    Really? I say they are using the origins of the word armada

Origin:
    mid 16th century: from Spanish, from armata, feminine past participle of Latin armare 'to arm'
    Thankyou Dictionary

You know... after all this time, I have never seen (officially or unofficially) anyone explain that this was why that series was called Armada. It makes sense now, after all these years scoffing at that name not making any sense in any of the stories (cartoon, comic, game, etc).
    If it really was called Armada because of its Spanish meaning, it would have been nice to have someone from Hasbro make (obvious) mention of it (on the packaging, or have it noted in the comic or cartoon).

While the word armāre means to "arm", contextually "armāta" refers to an armed force, which in naval terms would be an armed fleet. AFAIK the second declension of this would would be "armus", which in the nominative plural would be "armī", which is where English gets the word army from. So just as you wouldn't have an "army" of one soldier, so too you can't have an "armada" of just one ship... especially when it's carrying asylum seeking Mini-Cons and not equipped for cosmic naval warfare like say an actual space-worthy fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers.

In any case, the word "Armada" (not armāta) means "a fleet of warships." After all, the word "science" in English means "the systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation," but it comes from the Latin word "scientia" which means to 'know' or 'understand,' thus any form of knowing or understanding is "scientia," but not necessarily "science." (it's national science week this week btw )

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    <lecture snip>
    Touche good sir

However I am not going to give Hasbro that much credit for knowledge of linguistics, They might have googled it, gone ooh, that has a nice origin, let's use Armada coz kids might know it (of course until it's confirmed, it's all just speculation) so um, yeah.

nothing like a strong finish to one's argument.

Still it would be nice to have some sort of reasoning as to why they went for Armada. As Griff pointed out. Energon was obvious, Cybertron made sense (despite the fact they spent the least amount of time on it, it was there goal...)

Maybe Armada is a reference to Tidalwave, although at the most he was a fleet.

Armada, Energon and Cybertron all have three syllables and are part of a trilogy. If you look at their first letters, A, E & C correspond to the 1st, 5th and 3rd letters of the English alphabet. 1+5+3= 9. 9 divided by 3 = 3. The Power of Three. There's your meaning
    Last edited by Sinnertwin; 14th August 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Armada, Energon and Cybertron all have three syllables and are part of a trilogy. If you look at their first letters, A, E & C correspond to the 1st, 5th and 3rd letters of the English alphabet. 1+5+3= 9. 9 divided by 3 = 3. The Power of Three. There's your meaning
    The power of three? Power, Wisdom and courage? OMG it's linked to the Legend of Zelda!

That is AWESOME!

jamesdave Guest

I liked Armada very much back in the day and I will rate it the best.
    Last edited by jamesdave; 7th January 2018 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdave View Post
    I liked Armada very much back in the day and I will rate it the best.
    Is this the winner of thread necromancy for 2017...

Last post 2013...