Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Lego questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Default Lego questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Hello Everyone,

I've had the itch to do a lot of Lego recently but find myself with difficulties finding parts for custom projects at a reasonable cost.

If Lego enthusiast with more knowledge than myself would be so kind to answer a few questions for me:

- Is there a cheap way to get 2nd hand or even 3P lego parts at a reasonable costs, specially for specific parts.

- Has anyone used the official 'Pick A Brick' lego shop service to order parts? How is shipping and how reliable is it? Cost, shipping time, sending correct parts.

- I am aware of Lego Creator which is a free software that I have not used yet. Does it tell you in list form all the parts used for a project? I would use this to work out what parts I need to order.

Cheers!

- I'd try bricklink for parts.
    - Do you mean Lego digital designer? Someone on the eurobrick forum created an app that reads the .ldd file and generates a parts list. Heres the link: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/inde...howtopic=41993

Lego's official "Pick a Brick" store? Why would you bother with that when Bricklink has everything you'll ever need. For Aussie stores, shipping can be as low as $3.

I've downloaded Lego Creator on my PC & I've tried planning my builds on that but I just find it easier to search google images for inspiration while simultaneously ordering what I need from a large Bricklink store (when making a big order, I try to stick to Aussie stores otherwise the shipping can get a little pricy).

Then again, I'm planning a MOC Classic Spaceship & I'm currently waiting on 3 orders from Germany containing mostly vintage parts... not cheap... Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've had the itch to do a lot of Lego recently but find myself with difficulties finding parts for custom projects at a reasonable cost.

If Lego enthusiast with more knowledge than myself would be so kind to answer a few questions for me:

- Is there a cheap way to get 2nd hand or even 3P lego parts at a reasonable costs, specially for specific parts.

- Has anyone used the official 'Pick A Brick' lego shop service to order parts? How is shipping and how reliable is it? Cost, shipping time, sending correct parts.

- I am aware of Lego Creator which is a free software that I have not used yet. Does it tell you in list form all the parts used for a project? I would use this to work out what parts I need to order.

Cheers!
    Bricklink is the way to go for specific parts. The only drawback is that most stores have a minimum order quantity (usually around 5-10 USD). It can be frustrating when a shop has that single part you want but nothing else so you end up buying a whole bunch of crap you didn't need to pad out your order.

I haven't used pick a brick but I hear its pretty pricey. Even the most benign part is over 10c per piece. Not an economical way to obtain parts at all especially when shipping starts at $25 (not even sure if thats US or AUD).

I've downloaded the software before a few years back. It's frustrating to use and I didn't find it useful at all (especially for people who are accustomed to using professional modelling software such as AutoCAD or Solidworks). Maybe the most recent version is a lot better?

As a final comment buying bulk lots off ebay or gumtree can be a good way to establish a decent stockpile of parts on the cheap. Some sellers even classify lots (eg. bricks of a certain colour, type like trees or tyres or a particular theme like castle or space) so you can somewhat target what type of parts you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I haven't used pick a brick but I hear its pretty pricey. Even the most benign part is over 10c per piece. Not an economical way to obtain parts at all especially when shipping starts at $25 (not even sure if thats US or AUD).
    It's free shipping if you spend over $200 plus you get the freebie. So if you buy smart, it can work out cheaper than a lot of Bricklink purchases. Research is the key.

Cool, thanks guys for the helpful response . The project that I have in mind is primarily a single color so can be tricky.

Cool, thanks guys for the helpful response . The project that I have in mind is primarily a single color so can be tricky.
    UCS Millennium Falcon, Super Star Destroyer or Death Star II? OR your own Starkiller scaled to Death Star II?

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    UCS Millennium Falcon, Super Star Destroyer or Death Star II? OR your own Starkiller scaled to Death Star II?
    Non Star Wars related although I guess you could make it so but not directly.

I'll give a hint - I mainly need light grey and to a lesser degree, purple colors.

Non Star Wars related although I guess you could make it so but not directly.

I'll give a hint - I mainly need light grey and to a lesser degree, purple colors.
    I'm looking forward to see the results once you engage on this project. Though with the amount of grey bricks you're going to need, a replicator would have been ideal

Quote Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
    I'm looking forward to see the results once you engage on this project. Though with the amount of grey bricks you're going to need, a replicator would have been ideal
    You have no idea how often I dream I had a replicator, specially when I need a special part of some kind.

BTW, not Star Trek either