Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A third Masterpiece Gen1 Optimus coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Pretty sure it is a major update. The link in the OP is an entirely new chest/shoulders even though i think the biggest changes will be in the legs. Little doubt some of the transformation would be similar though.
    I did thorise a while ago that they could make MP10 more cartoon accurate just by adding faux truck parts to the chest and sliding in the fenders to make them flush with the side of the leg. Oh and giving him a more cartoon accurate paint job.

bowspearer Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a complete redesign. The fact is that MP-10 is getting close to being a 7 year old figure now and as people have noted, there is a clear engineering gap between MP-10 and MP-36. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the design team trying to bring Optimus Prime up to the same standard as Megatron.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a complete redesign. The fact is that MP-10 is getting close to being a 7 year old figure now and as people have noted, there is a clear engineering gap between MP-10 and MP-36. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the design team trying to bring Optimus Prime up to the same standard as Megatron.
    Yeah, I hear ya - but MP-10 set the standard format, right?

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya - but MP-10 set the standard format, right?
    The scale isn't what is likely to be changed if they do a 3.0 - I suspect they'd just change the complexity.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    MP50 Optimus Prime 3.0
    MP60 Megatron 3.0
    MP80 Optimus Prime 4.0
    MP90 Megatron 4.0

Wash, lather, rinse & repeat. That's the sound of cha-ching.

Maybe part of me doesn't want to see yet another Optimus Prime mould, but is MP10 really so outdated/inaccurate? I mean you look at MP-10 and it's instantly recognisable as the greatest Autobot leader of all time. Even more striking when you compare him to pretty much every other iteration there has been. No other toy comes close to matching cartoon accuracy. The tapering torso, head sculpt, matrix chamber, gun storage, etc. I can see why they re-did Megatron and Hot-Rod, but I'm happy with MP10 and it would take something special to make me reconsider another Optimus

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    MP50 Optimus Prime 3.0
    MP60 Megatron 3.0
    MP80 Optimus Prime 4.0
    MP90 Megatron 4.0

Wash, lather, rinse & repeat. That's the sound of cha-ching.
    I don't think it's going to be that radical a change tbh. MP-05 was always a crap figure - even ignoring the scale. The fact is that with only a week's timeframe in terms of its development as I understand it, it's a miracle the figure is as good as it is, MP-36 was always necessary, even without the scale, because the old MP figure had never been given its proper due.

Then there's Prime. The fact is that people forget that the Masterpiece line as we know it is actually two separate toylines. Everything from MP-01 upto MP-07 was actually part of the same meta-toyline as Binartech, and we did get a crapload of Autobot Cars for that toyline. When the decision was made to go cartoon accurate and downsize compared to the 1/24 scale figures, Optimus Prime getting a 2.0 was always a given.

However is MP-10 a better engineered figure than MP-01?

Owning both figures, I have to say that the answer is no. Also where MP-01 has more animation accurate proportions, MP-10 is alot more squat and stocky in comparison.

If I were Takara, I'd almost be tempted to downsize MP-04, modify the design slightly where parts need reinforcing, and then pass it off as MP Optimus 3.0. Once that happened, I'm not sure you could improve on the figure enough to even remotely justify a 4.0, just as I doubt we'll ever see a Megatron 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    No other toy comes close to matching cartoon accuracy.
    Except arguably Optimus 1.0. I have to say that as great as MP-10 has been in terms of scale, it really wasn't up to the same level of engineering as MP-01 imho.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Rumours are going around for a MP Optimus Prime 3.0.

How many versions does Takara expect us to buy? I already have 20th Anniversary, MP2, MP4, MP10 and MP10b.

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...in-2019/40761/
    I have those plus 1 and 1B ,eva and 711 on the way.

MP50 Optimus Prime 3.0
    MP50+ Optimus Prime 3.0 (colour based on animation error)
    MP50x Optimus Prime 3.0 (TTMall exclusive)
    MP60 Megatron 3.0
    MP60+ Megatron 3.0
    MP60x Megatron 3.0

MP80 Optimus Prime 4.0
    MP80+ Optimus Prime 4.0
    MP80x Optimus Prime 4.0

MP90 Megatron 4.0
    MP90+ Megatron 4.0
    MP90x Megatron 4.0

Wash, lather, rinse & repeat.
    Fixed it for you...

That's the sound of cha-ching.
    You forgot to mention the "thud" -- the sound of QC dropping.

Translation:
    シリーズ35周年に向け、新たなプロジェクトが胎動を始めた模様。続を報刮目して待て!!
    "The approaching 35th anniversary series has started to quicken designs for a new project. Keep your eyes peeled for further news!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Maybe part of me doesn't want to see yet another Optimus Prime mould, but is MP10 really so outdated/inaccurate?
    I don't think so. I personally don't think that MP01 is necessarily outclassed either. IMHO MP01 is the superior action figure whereas MP10 is the superior play set. Both toys have their pros and cons but I wouldn't rate either as being outright better than the other. And I've only paid for my MP01 - my MP10 was a freebie.

And even if it is say a distinctly superior toy, it would come at a price. Look at MP5 vs MP36. Yes, MP36 is loads gooder, but also at double the price of MP5 - so relative to price point I still consider both MP5 and MP36 to be just as good as each other. MP10 offered bonus stuff which MP01 didn't have, namely the trailer and Roller (although MP4 had a trailer but no Roller). MP36 offers the silencer and stock which MP5 lacked, as well as a greatly improved robot mode which was a point of contention with MP5 (although MP5 still has a better looking gun mode). MP10 already comes with everything that G1 Optimus Prime does. I cannot really imagine what they could make it come with to improve it.

My guess is that the mould will be even more slavishly G1 cartoon accurate than MP10, making the texture/moulding even less detailed than MP01 and MP10. Some people love this sort of stuff, but I personally couldn't care less. Don't imagine myself buying MP Convoy 3.0 (but donations are always welcome )