Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD - Avengers Infinity War

I gotta say that considering the film has such a massive ensemble cast that it does deliver a fair amount of character drive. None of the protagonists felt like set pieces (unlike say, most Bayformers) - each of them was given a reasonable window of opportunity to shine and show their worth to the audience. Not a huge amount, but again, given the huge cast I think it was well done.

And Thanos was a really well done antagonist. More than just a motion capture CGI monster (*cough*Steppenwolf*cough*), Thanos himself is actually a character. As the audience we understand his motivation and his moral universe - we can see where he's coming from. Especially when we see his ruined homeworld of Titan and he explains that this was a result of the overconsumption of resources. It reminds me of the antagonist from What Happened To Monday? (and again, Killmonger) -- as brutal and immoral as they are, their cause is not without merit. These villains don't see themselves as villains, they see themselves as heroes. This makes them far more relatable and believable as people. Heck, in this regard Thanos is also similar to Beast Machines Megatron. Not that Beast Machines is a good show, and BM Megatron would be a better character if he weren't meant to be the same character as BW Megatron... but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.

I also loved Peter Dinklage's portrayal as a Dwarf, and importantly, he was still a Dwarf! Just a really huge one. They didn't digitally change his proportions to "undwarf" him. He still has his disproportionately large head, an obvious trait of real-life dwarfism. And it's cool that they actually cast a dwarf to play a dwarf, because there's an argument that casting non-dwarf people to play dwarves is offensive akin to whitewashing. Just as whitewashing deprives non-white people from job opportunities in acting, so does casting non-dwarves as dwarves deprive opportunities for dwarves like Dinklage. It's not easy for dwarves to achieve success as actors... Warwick Davis, Peter Dinklage and the late Verne Troyer are the only ones that come to my mind (without Googling). I'm not familiar with Davis' work outside of Willow and Star Wars, and I haven't seen Verne Troyer in anything since Austin Powers. I hope that this will mean more acting opportunities for dwarves in the future - whether the character is a dwarf or not. As Dinklage has proven many times, you can have characters just incidentally be a dwarf - it doesn't have to be part of what defines the character, such as his role as Bolivar Trask in X-Men Days of Future Past. Trask could've easily been played by a non-dwarf or a dwarf. Where possible it'd be nice to see acting roles just go to the best qualified person -- the person who performed best at audition, regardless of colour, height, gender etc. Obviously there may be certain characters where these traits matter, but in other instances where it may not matter then why not just open the floor to a wider candidacy?

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    For those with Facebook, check out MaximBady’s reaction/review of the film (posted Thursday). Very funny. No spoilers in it (at least about specific events), it only goes less than 2 minutes and has a spot of swearing, so be warned.
    Perhaps this post would be better served on the Movie Critics thread since presumably anyone who enters this thread won't care about spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Perhaps this post would be better served on the Movie Critics thread since presumably anyone who enters this thread won't care about spoilers.
    My thinking was that while he gives no specific details, his reaction itself *may* be considered by some as a spoiler in itself. Decided to play it safe.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Super Nerdy Nerd Wish: If Disney should successfully acquire Fox, then they should acquire the rights for the X-Men, right? If soooo... and they're going to do some reality-bending stuff to bring back the dead Avengers in the next Avengers movie, then maaaybe they might be able to bring characters from the X-Men universe! And chuck in a Deadpool cameo too.

So, silly thought...

What if the second movie has antman pull a heist and take the time stone, or entire gauntlet from Thanos while he is “basking in the universes thanks” and the avengers have to experiment/ time travel a bit due to the stones being somewhat stuffed (they looked scuffed or broken as well as the gauntlet itself after the finger snap).

The kicker is, to get antman onto Thanos, Hawkeye shoots him on with an arrow, making the two who did not appear in part one, important in part two!

If any of this is even close to what happens I’ll laugh my arse off!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Problem is how would Ant-Man know where to find Thanos? Also the gauntlet looked pretty busted up at the end of the film so it's possible that it may not work anymore. Although Ant-Man could steal the Infinity Stones and then get the Dwarf to forge another gauntlet (unless the Dwarf was among the 50% to have vanished)

Did anyone else notice Vision mimicked Optimus when he died and lost all his colours?
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    Did anyone else notice Vision mimicked Optimus when he died and lost all his colours?
    Good pull!!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    Was the matrix an infinity stone?
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

From the pics I’ve seen regarding the second half of infinity war (the next movie), on set there is Ironman, Captain America in his suit from the first avengers, and antman in a scene together.

I’m assuming that antman and the wasp will be occurring concurrent to infinity war or just before the events take place, and based on the theme of infinity war, my prediction would be that Wasp will disintegrate at the conclusion of that movie (bringing antman into the avengers mix)

As for the deaths, I think the real character deaths are to come in the second half when they finally beat Thanos, and my predictions would be Ironman, Captain America and Thor. The reason behind my thoughts is that these guys have already had their trilogy of films, and I think the MCU has been prepping their equivalent replacements I.e.:

Ironman - Spider-Man
    Captain America - Black Panther
    Thor - Captain Marvel

Anyway that would be my hunch for now (which could be completely wrong)
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

A long time ago Saving Private Ryan set a precedent and war movies have never been the same since. Now Infinity War sets a precedent that no superhero movie will be able to match. I can only see DC as the closest competitor and they're wayyyy off. Yet outside of live action movies, I can only see animated movies as the closest one can get to matching such an epic and I'd put more money on an anime/manga studio than DC to attempt such an undertaking.

Now as we all know it's a no brainer that the time stone will be the keystone to undoing the damage caused by Thanos. The question I have is: How will Thanos wield the other five stones to protect the time stone?

1. The reality stone: Illusion, illusion and more illusion. How the hell can you find a stone when realities can exist within realities to keep it hidden?

2. The soul stone: The loss of The Black Order as well as his many troops won't bother Thanos when he can resurrect them with this nifty gem.

3. The space stone: When the going gets tough this stone offers the best tactical retreat if not sneak attack anywhere in the universe. Also the best form of logistical transport in the universe when used to move objects on an industrial scale as long as it's teleportation.

4. The mind stone: Vision is an evolved being courtesy of this stone. If evolved also means innovative, outside-the-square thinking, then this will make Thanos even more clever and shrewd. And last but definitely not least (as shown by The Avengers 1 & 2) is the capacity to control minds.

5. The power stone: As powerful as the other stones are. How much more powerful can they be when they have this terrifying stone as an auxiliary power amplifying them? I believe the movie's ending answers this question quite well.
    Last edited by shockNwave; 2nd May 2018 at 01:46 PM.