View Poll Results: TF5 Last Knight Movie - worth watching?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the best one so far

6 8.96%
  • Yes, but not the best one

29 43.28%
  • No, it was disappointing

18 26.87%
  • I don't plan to see it

14 20.90%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - TF5 The Last Knight

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Honest Trailer: Transformers The Last Knight
    Tragically funny cos it's true. :/
    Sad, but true...

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    When this movie is reduced to $15 or better yet, a bargain bin price then I'll be glad to own it on DVD.
    On second thoughts. It's worth having if I can get it without having to pay a cent.

Was flicking through channels on foxtel and it came up so I decided to watch it. Boy what a f***ing mess! So glad I didn't go to the movies or buy it on dvd, what a waste of money and so many holes you just want to throw it away like an old sock!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

I've said it before and I'll say it again - worst out of the five movies for me.

This is the only movie (not just Transformers movies, but only movie full stop) that I have wanted to leave from part-way through. It was that bad.

People say it's better than ROTF, but I have to disagree because I still feel like I can distil the primary story of ROTF. I know who the characters are and their motivation. Whereas TLK is just a mess of ideas with only a tenuous common thread

It's so bad that it sort of transcended any real emotional response on my part.

It is said that the opposite of love is not truly hate, but apathy. This movie really confirms that, in my eyes.

I found this movie so bland it was hard to get worked up about how deficient it was.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I was bored at home yesterday, so put on The Last Knight, last night... which was the third time I had seen it (the first two were at the cinema).

I watched it with the frame of mind of a "general public" non-Transformers fan, and found that it was certainly a feast for the visual and audio senses, and was less confusing if you don't try to understand what is going on, or know anything at all about Transformers (the history or even past live action movies).

I don't expect I will voluntarily watch it again for a few years (like Age of Extinction, which I just can't sit down and watch the whole thing anymore)... probably when it starts screening on free-to-air TV.

It's just annoying that it is left with a sort of cliffhanger, relating to Unicron and Quintessa, and I doubt we will see a resolution to it now.
    (it is also annoying that we probably won't ever get toys of all of those bots in this movie that didn't get toys... including the ones that didn't even get to show us their robot mode or alt-mode in the movie)

I got around to watching this recently on Foxtel. I was actually expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Toning down the crazy product placement was good. I quite liked some of the cinematography near the end with the Osprey scenes. However again like Age Of Extinction to me it was like there was potential behind some of the ideas but those were not really executed well and there is again a bunch of stuff that just doesn't really make a lot of sense and wastes time.

Obviously Transformers is a brand targeted generally towards kids and having younger actors makes sense. Why then spend time introducing a young character at the start and then dumping them for the rest of the movie?
    I agree with Goktimus about the swearing thing too, F-bombs in this context I think are pretty silly and don't add anything to the movie.
    People talk about "suspension of disbelief" when you watch movies and you may need to switch off a little if you are going to watch a movie about gigantic alien robots. Having said that, stuff like Cogman turning into a vintage type plane, flying over from the UK to wherever they had that fight to pick up Cade and then flying back without any kind of interruption or response from UK and USA air force etc is really stretching it to me.
    The concept and filming of that scene where the troops get together for a suicide mission with the Osprey drop I thought was really great. But then they just get stuck there and don't really do anything or go anywhere. An example where I think they had a good idea or thought of something that would look pretty cool but wasn't used that well.

Eh I think for now that is enough words used on this movie lol

So... was the old plane they used to get from America to England, supposed to be Cogman, or a Transformer at all?
    It is implied that the Submarine was one, but then, Vivian had the ability to activate non-sentient Cybertronian tech as well, so... could the Submarine just have been a transport vessel... or were they both Transformers, and Bay just ran out of money to give us a transformation sequence on-screen (post-production CGI would be one of the last things to do, so if they were running short on money, some transformations might have been sacrificed - like how Cogman was supposed to be a headmaster at some point in the movie, but ended up being cut).

Having that vintage plane in there was probably just an impulsive idea from the director anyway, as he often has items or scenes that look visually impressive, but don't make much sense (and often never explained)... just to make one scene look really good, but it then confuses people watching the whole movie.
    Like having the White Cliffs of Dover shown... it looks stunning, but doesn't make sense having them travel past it because of where the Cliffs are located in relation to where they are coming from and going to.

Finally watching the bonus features on the TF5 DVD/BR.

So much potential from the original story ideas, some of which we already knew about during the production of the movie.
    But some things I didn't know, that didn't end up in the finished cut of the movie.

Like, Cade Yeager is meant to be a descendant of King Arthur, which would make the concept of Vivian being Merlin's descendant more significant, as it would be a "coming full circle" element of Arthur and Merlin coming together again in battle through their descendants.

The (very) short medieval battle intro scene was meant to be a lot simpler, with most soldiers originally planned to be CGI, but the project kept getting bigger and bigger as Bay came on set and got involved.... it must have added so much to the expense of the movie, resulting in other things getting cut (like the alleged Headmaster scene, with Cogman taking over Nitro's body).

Another thing that I thought was a wasted expense was the early Chicago scene, when the kids find the girl and Sqweeks... they dressed up an abandoned Detroit factory to look like a war torn Chicago, shipping in actual Chicago trains to make it look authentic. (I didn't even notice the trains... let alone know or care if they were authentic Chicago trains.)
    Considering the usual lack of authenticity when recreating locations of other cities or countries, I don't know why they even bothered with the expense of doing this, as it probably added another million or two to the budget, for negligible effect.

A lot of the military roles in the movie (soldiers on the TRF and the aircraft carrier command crew) were played by actual military people.

The two movie ideas that were combined to make TF5 were already known (a WW2 mission and King Arthur's knights), but the proposed movie title for the WW2 movie (if it had been made as a standalone movie) was "Operation Skyfire".

A clip from the junkyard that I didn't remember (it may have been cut, or I fell asleep at that point ) - Sqweeks knocking Wheelie off the car they were standing on. Actually, there looked to be a fair bit from the junkyard scenes that were cut, by the looks of what they showed us in the bonus feature about Cade's Junkyard.

You get to see the stand-ins for Cogman (car chase and when Burton is dying), and Jim Carter speaking the lines on-set.

They actually got permission to film the front of 10 Downing Street (when Burton tries to get in), and a lot of other areas of central London, because of who Bay is (thanks mostly to his success with the Transformers Movies).

Hotrod had over 100 face concept images done up for them to choose the one that would be his face on the movie.

Something I found funny - in the featurette about the robot characters in this movie, they talk about Drift, Crosshairs and Hound carrying over from TF4, because "Michael really stressed the character development in them".
    What character development?

Drift was changed from a Bugatti to a Mercedes because Michael liked the new GTR model that came out, so it had to feature in the movie (requiring an unnecessary change of vehicle mode and colour of one of the main Autobots).

Daytrader's original name was Barterbot.

Megatron's jet mode was inspired by a sword/dagger.

Barricade was only brought back because fans on a fansite had a poll on which movie character they wanted to see come back.
    His painted slogan "Punish and Enslave" was changed to "Keep Calm and Hail Megatron" - was that even seen in the movie, because I only remember the original slogan on his car. Maybe it was on an early paintjob of the car, and then changed back due to fan feedback (when we saw early concept art/images of his knuckles saying Protect and Serve).

The robot cast featurette only detailed three Decepticons - Megatron, Barricade and Mohawk. With minimal toys, the Movie Decepticons just get so ignored.

The concepts behind the character of Quintessa was based on the original Gen1 Quintessons, as the Transformers creators.

Cybertron was based on the TF3 Cybertron, not the TF1 Cybertron... and they had to add dirt, so that they could film the battle scenes on actual "land" without having to create a huge alien film set.

Michael Bay's mum is featured, and I think was in the horse polo scene.

Watching the behind the scenes videos, it looks like Michael Bay really loves doing these Transformers movies, and being his most (financially) successful movies, I can see him coming back in the future to direct another one... and Hasbro and Paramount will throw lots of money at him to get him back (like the last few times), because the more money his TFs movies make, the more money they make.
    They make him rich, and he seems to really love directing them, and getting to do things and go places (have access to places), that he would otherwise wouldn't.

It kind of makes me sad that Bay is director who does general go the extra mile when it comes to stuff like practical effects when you consider that, the first film aside, they are all pretty shit to average.

The first film for example was the first time that an actual real F22 was used for a film.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.