9 40.91%
  • Ratchet

4 18.18%
  • Neither

3 13.64%
  • They both rule

6 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Ironhide vs. Movie Ratchet (Melbourne Meet aftermath)

Default Movie Ironhide vs. Movie Ratchet (Melbourne Meet aftermath)

I think one of my favorite moments at the Melbourne meet was when STL took out my Movie Ironhide and we agreed that it was simply the best movie figure hands down. At this point, Demonac, supported by lhec, diametrically opposed this assertion and a fantastic argument ensued.

Before this, I had assumed that there were two types of people in this world: Transformer Collectors vs. those that don't collect. Never could I have expected such an equally great divide within the ranks of the collectors.

So, I pose it to all of you. Which camp are you in? And why?

not sure if i understand the question, jay
    Last edited by Saintly; 1st February 2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: nevermind... at first i didn't see the poll

Do I think Voyager Ratchet is better than Voyager Ironhide?

Yes. I'm on Ratchet's side especially with the Rescue Ratchet colouring.

Ironhide's incomplete chest and that pain-in-the-axle alignment to transform back into vehicle mode annoy me.

Ironhide is good quality, like an Alternator level, but not as fun to play with as Ratchet.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 1st February 2008 at 11:31 AM.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Oh man!!!

Both mine are still MISB and I haven't played with them out of the box but judging by how they look still packed I would have to align myself in the Ironhide camp.

Captain Krusty of course.

Ah, this fond conversation. lol I believe pics is the only way to settle this. I'll dig some up later.

Ratchet's poses and hence fun value are so much more limited in comparison to Ironhide's. Ratchet doesn't even have waist articulation and he has a half coloured axe and a roof that becomes his claw... pretty lame.

Ratchet isn't a terrible figure but he pales in the light of brilliance.

oh i should have asked... did one needed to be present at the time of the argument to vote?

if so, please void my vote (the sole vote for "they both rule")

i didnt take sides as i felt both are equally not bad nor good.
    Ratchet is rather bulky for a toy and Ironhide seems filmsy esp the legs
    if to choose really, transformation for Ironhide is more entrigging whereas Ratchet is simple and fast

Wow making me decide ey? Fair enough.

Ironhide has his fair share of excellence and disapointments. I love the enormous gatling guns and the sheer feeling of imposing that comes with Ironhide. As a display piece, I feel Ironhide is far superior. The figure gives me fond memories of the film since well, he was actually in it for more than 10 seconds, where Ratchet has what... 5 lines maximum? Then of course there's the bad. One malignment and the whole thing doesn't fit into place, in fact when I got back into collecting, this figure frustrated me. The chest and flimsy shoulders also bug me, the lack of articulation in the neck, as well as poor placement of the guns in alt mode and the lack of bigger smokestacks leave Ironhide a little less loved by me than I wish I could. The repaint doesn't make much sense either (Offroad Ironhide). Blue? WHY!? G1 Repaint Ironhide was just screaming to be done.

Ratchet is cool, the fluro green and the demeanor actually remind me not of G1 Ratchet but BW Rhinox (to an extent). I like the fact is all comes together so easily. He's not without flaws either. It would be excellent if he had some waist articulation but overall works very well as a play figure. Plus the G1 Rescue Ratchet repaint was awesome.

What we're really comparing is apples and oranges. Ironhide is an imposing and beautiful display piece in both modes, whereas Ratchet is far more friendly, a bit more kid-aimed. Both are wonderful pieces and I honestly couldn't join one side of the camp. Overall, if I was gun to my head, I'd say Ironhide, but thats more the movie appearance than anything. No screen time hurts the fondness of the character.

Ask easier questions next time like Cybertron Voyagers vs Movie Voyagers. Cybertron for life!