Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Bumblebee Movie trailer this week

Yeah the trailer itself seems like the best rendition of live action Bee so far. Love the heart and humor in it.

Back to the fish out of water "girl and her car".

Looks good, predictable but good.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Here is the Youtube link for those that prefer to use the tube and also if they want to save it.

https://youtu.be/lcwmDAYt22k

The trailer looks good, but to be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that Travis Knight seems to be leaning into the G1 designs - it seems to be pandering to 'geewunner' fanboys and disregards the continuity and design language the previous movies have established, giving ammunition to people who criticise what they see as a lack of continuity between Transformers movies when this one is meant to be a prequel, not a reboot.

I like the movieverse design aesthetic because it actually showcases the Transformers as complex mechanical aliens - the classic Floro Dery designs were too simple and terrestrial-looking to be believable as alien.

The Earth bits look interesting.

The Cybertron G1 fan service bits don't look that great. The CGI on them looks video game level.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    The trailer looks good, but to be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that Travis Knight seems to be leaning into the G1 designs - it seems to be pandering to 'geewunner' fanboys and disregards the continuity and design language the previous movies have established, giving ammunition to people who criticise what they see as a lack of continuity between Transformers movies when this one is meant to be a prequel, not a reboot.

I like the movieverse design aesthetic because it actually showcases the Transformers as complex mechanical aliens - the classic Floro Dery designs were too simple and terrestrial-looking to be believable as alien.
    I've got a theory that TK really really wanted this to be a reboot, and the studio couldn't really make its mind up in the early stages. He went for the reboot idea and then later on it was decided that this was definitely a sequel.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

As excited as I got for seeing the G1 designs, I hope this movie doesn’t throw in random crap at the expense of the core story. Still looks better than the Bay series.

TFW's gallery of screenshots from the third trailer.

Director Travis Knight talks about the new trailers on the Empire magazine website.

"This film is Bumblebee's story," explains Knight. "It's effectively an origin story, where we see how he became the character that he is, where he came from, how he evolved. The Transformers film mythology is masive, it's expansive, it's huge. This film is an opportunity for us to focus in on one aspect of that canvas and that is Bumblebee. He has his Autobot family, he has these baddies that he goes up against. That is an aspect of his story but fundamentally it's about his relationship with this girl Charlie and how essentially they find each other and make each other whole. There are other layers at play but that is at the core of the story."

"There's a lot going on," laughs Knight. "If I was going to make a Transformers film I wanted to give nods to some of the things that I loved most about the series to begin with and for me seeing those original designs on Shockwave and Soundwave and Ravage and Wheeljack and all those different characters was a really exciting opportunity to take the audience back to that initial wave of Transformers and to evoke the same feeling that they evoked in me. I was pretty giddy bringing those guys to life."

Leading the hunt for Bumblebee are Decepticon triple-changers Shatter (Angela Bassett) and Dropkick (Justin Theroux). Shatter has a Harrier Jump Jet and a red Plymout Satellite muscle car up her robotic sleeve, while Dropkick can flit between a blue AMC Javelin car and a Bell AH-1 SuperCobra attack helicopter. Being Decepticons they're not the most reliable of sources, informing Agent Burns that they're on the trail of a fugitive (Bumblebee), whose capture is essential to stopping an interstellar war.

"The triple changer aspect was something we leaned into just because I thought it was cool. I wanted to showcase how formidable an opponent could be if they have those kind of abilities and putting our main character up against someting like that was really exciting. One of the things we do in animation is try to evoke an idea or a feeling just with something's silhouette. You can see in this film how with the two Decepticon heavies you have these big, muscular cars these angular aircraft and then you see them go up against this round, warm shape of a VW beetle. Just in the shape language you can evoke a certain feeling."

"We do go to Cybertron, yes, and I have to say it's pretty awesome! That's where the Transforers started and while it's not heavily featured in our film it is an aspect of it. I absolutely embraced the opportunity to see Cybertron the way I saw it when I was a kid."

G1 goodness! Ok I've seen enough, no more teasers.

It's nice to see some more recognisable designs, even if they don't fit the movie aesthetic very well at all. They seem very WFC-esque and unifinished, even compared to the rounded, soft-looking Bumblebee. If they are trying to steer into a G1 movie franchise, this is not the best way in my opinion.

It's a bit disappointing to see people on Facebook and the like saying it will be good because of these G1 designs though, as it could be just as bad as past movies.

Hopefully it means at least that there is a little bit of passion and it won't totally suck.

The Cybertron scenes look more like Computer Game animation, and not the more realistic CGI that Bay's movies had... making it stand out too much from the live action Earth scenes... but it is still three months away from release, so maybe this is just early animation and it is still being worked on with its detailing.