View Poll Results: POTP DLX Sludge - worth buying?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 87.50%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

1 12.50%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - POTP DLX Sludge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I know that the POTP figure integrates all the contemporary mod cons and also serves as a combiner component, but gosh it looks trash next to the G1 piece.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I got POTP Sludge today. Unearthed some happy memories - G1 Sludge was the first “big” Transformer I bought as a ~9 year old (‘84? ‘85?), bought at Endeavour Hills Toyworld (long since closed) after saving up my pocket money for weeks. I remember being so excited on the drive to finally pick him up. In my teenage years, I got rid of my G1s, and I regret that deeply. This toy doesn’t replace that one, but I think it will always have a special place in my collection. It makes me smile.

It’s not perfect - I imagine I’ll do some chroming on the wings for instance - but I’m pretty darn happy with him.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I know that the POTP figure integrates all the contemporary mod cons and also serves as a combiner component, but gosh it looks trash next to the G1 piece.
    Bear in mind that G1 Sludge doesn't combine. And as a "Scramble" gestalt style limb robot, it means that Sludge has to have four modes. We know that HasTak did consider making a dinosaur gestalt team and got as far as creating concept design sketches for it. The engineering would be similar to the G1 Terrorcons and the aesthetics may have been similar to Pretender Grimlock. Basically, they would not have looked like the Diaclone-based Dinobots that we all know and love.

I think the fact that the POTP Dinobots look so similar to the G1 Dinobots is already pretty damn impressive considering that they are burdened with the gimmick of being able to combine. And for the most part, I think that the gimmick is relatively not too intrusive. So would the POTP Dinobots be better if they didn't have to combine? Probably. But I don't think that they're terrible. I have no desire to combine my POTP Dinobots but the fairly minor compromises made to accommodate their combining gimmick isn't a deal breaker for me. I've seen Volcanicus IRL... my eyes glazed over from the lack of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Bear in mind that G1 Sludge doesn't combine. And as a "Scramble" gestalt style limb robot, it means that Sludge has to have four modes. We know that HasTak did consider making a dinosaur gestalt team and got as far as creating concept design sketches for it. The engineering would be similar to the G1 Terrorcons and the aesthetics may have been similar to Pretender Grimlock. Basically, they would not have looked like the Diaclone-based Dinobots that we all know and love.

I think the fact that the POTP Dinobots look so similar to the G1 Dinobots is already pretty damn impressive considering that they are burdened with the gimmick of being able to combine. And for the most part, I think that the gimmick is relatively not too intrusive. So would the POTP Dinobots be better if they didn't have to combine? Probably. But I don't think that they're terrible. I have no desire to combine my POTP Dinobots but the fairly minor compromises made to accommodate their combining gimmick isn't a deal breaker for me. I've seen Volcanicus IRL... my eyes glazed over from the lack of interest.
    I think the POTP Dinobots are perfectly good updates of the characters, except for the scale - this team needed to be a 'Titan' release way more than the Predacons, IMHO.

And Volcanicus is pretty awesome with some 3P hands and two 'Slash' figures to beef up the torso ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    I think the POTP Dinobots are perfectly good updates of the characters, except for the scale - this team needed to be a 'Titan' release way more than the Predacons, IMHO.

And Volcanicus is pretty awesome with some 3P hands and two 'Slash' figures to beef up the torso ;-)
    Agree that Volcanicus should get preference over Predaking for Titan treatment.

I like it that the gun can be placed under the dino's chin and looks better than the lone gun attached to his side when there should be a gun on either side.
    I find the prime armor looks best when attached to the back of the dino's neck whether the spikes are facing forwards or backwards.
    Despite being my least favourite dinobot he's quite solid.

Finally managed to get my hands on a Sludge.
    And he ended up having 2 left shoulders. Darn.

Not super fond of this guy. The “wings” are too low, the head and chest look awkward. But I needed him for completions sake.
    Now I just need to hunt down Snarl