1 11.11%

Thread: Toy review - TLK deluxe Hot Rod

Default Toy review - TLK deluxe Hot Rod

Series – The Last Knight
    Sub-line - Autobots Unite
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Remould of Age of Extinction Lockdown
    Wave - N/A
    Released here – N/A (US Walmart exclusive)
    RRP - USD23.90+
    Approximate Size - 14.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Lamborghini Centenario
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Licensed car mode
    Main Colours – Black, red, silver
    Main Accessories – N/A

Vehicle mode

A Lamborghini Centenario coupe. The car is predominantly black, with red accents and smoky transparent windows. The roof is a matte black as opposed to the glossy black of the rest of the car; this is accurate to the real car, which has a roof that is less shiny than the rest of the car in photos.

The red is actually inaccurate; the Centenario used in filming has orange accents.

Although Hot Rod is a remould of Lockdown, there are no recognisable parts from Lockdown in vehicle mode; every panel is new. As it turns out, Hot Rod is slightly bigger than Lockdown, too.

Using Lockdown as a base is oddly appropriate, since the Lamborghini Centenario is based on the Aventador.

Transformation

Largely recognisable to people who own Lockdown. Although the two figures share common engineering, each figure has unique steps in its transformation, since Hot Rod has a lot of new parts.

Robot mode

The robot mode adds a lot more silver and red to Hot Rod's colour scheme. When viewed from the sides or above, the torso has more gaps than Lockdown, giving the impression of a less solid torso, although it holds together well enough.

Again, Hot Rod is bigger than Lockdown. The two share lower legs and feet, and keen-eyed observers will note that several parts are shared, such as the panel the head rests on and the grey pieces the rear halves of the car swing out on, but you definitely won't mistake one for the other.

Hot Rod has the same articulation as Lockdown, but unlike Lockdown, the hips don't share a common pin, so each leg can be raised and lowered (on a ratchet) independently.

The eyes have light-piping, but I find it isn't that effective unless you shine a flashlight on the back of his head.

Sadly, Hot Rod doesn't come with any weapons, but fortunately, his hands have 5mm holes, so he can be armed with a lot of weapons from different figures. I wonder, though, if the lack of weapons allowed for a bigger 'plastic budget' for the figure that ultimately made him bigger, especially when you consider the colossal weapon Lockdown came with.

He looks good with AoE Hound's smallest pistols.

Verdict

Don't be put off by the fact that Hot Rod is based on Lockdown; the two are substantially different. I would liken the degree of remoulding between Hot Rod and Lockdown to the difference between Combiner Wars Rook and Swindle; they share a skeleton and some common parts in robot mode, but the aesthetics are vastly different, and on top of that, the transformations are subtly different.

Hot Rod is by no means a bad figure, but at upwards of $50 to have him posted to Australia, his current price makes him tough to recommend, unless he appears at local retail for a regular deluxe figure price.

Nice figure. I'm surprised how much smaller Lockdown is compared to him.

He's still worth the money. I much prefer him to Lockdown, and it's a fun transformation. He definitely needs weaponry though, so I have armed mine with the Temenous Sword
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Really want to get him but the price is very steep, especially with 0 accessories...

Now I've got this guy in hand, can say he's an awesome figure (got over the inaccuracies pretty quickly) but really needs a weapon! For $40 shipped not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    Now I've got this guy in hand, can say he's an awesome figure (got over the inaccuracies pretty quickly) but really needs a weapon! For $40 shipped not too bad.
    Nice! Where did you get him for $40 shipped? That'd be about my ceiling for a deluxe, but I do quite like him.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    Nice! Where did you get him for $40 shipped? That'd be about my ceiling for a deluxe, but I do quite like him.
    eBay, with a 20% off voucher at the time of purchase. He seems to be floating around $50 from some Taiwanese sellers.

Excellent, thank you very much for that. Found one that was about $45, used a 5% discount code and got it for $43 so pretty close. Justifiable.

Mighty surprised to see just how extensive the retooling on this toy is. Aside from the lower legs, feet and internal parts, everything else on this toy is new! Very disappointed to see that it has no weapons though. A notably more complex figure than Lockdown though. Perhaps those extra parts left no room in the budget for a gun (that's my theory anyway). The longer legs do really help to make Hot Rod look less ape-like in robot mode and I do like how the hands are freed up... to not hold anything. The centre part of the bonnet has a hinge even though it serves no purpose that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Series – The Last Knight
    Sub-line - Autobots Unite
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Remould of Age of Extinction Lockdown
    Wave - N/A
    Released here – N/A (US Walmart exclusive)
    RRP - USD23.90+
    Approximate Size - 14.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Lamborghini Centenario
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Licensed car mode
    Main Colours – Black, red, silver
    Main Accessories – N/A
    I was about to make a new review thread for this toy until I remembered that this thread already exists. I'd already started typing up the basic proforma data in French (for the lulz) so uh, et voila!

AUTOBOT HOT ROD
    Série - le dernier chevalier
    Taille/classe - de luxe
    Nouveau/modifié - Rééquiper et repeindre de L'Âge de l'extinction Lockdown
    Assortiment - Non applicable
    sortie - Septembre 2017 (à l'extérieur de la Australie)
    Prix de vente conseillé - AU$30
    Taille approximative - 13,5cm
    Allégeance - Autobot
    Transformation - la Lamborghini Centenario
    caractéristique principale - Non applicable
    Couleurs principales - argent, rouge et noir
    Accessoires - Il n'a accessoires!

I need to start this post just by saying I hated the lockdown version of this mold. It just felt like it didnt live up to how the character looked on screen and I think they sacraficed the robot mode for the car mode. Hot rod on the other hand looks great in both modes, the new way the arms transform looks so much better and actually model accurate with where the wheels end up being. The face sculpt is great and is really well painted with the blue red and silver. Silver and red highlights are also found all over the body and really make all the details put into the robot mode stand out. Solid 7/10 for this guy, would have been an 8 if he had any weapons included but im sure I can steal one off another figure for him to keep.