View Poll Results: Titans Return Octone - worth getting?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finally a Voyager-sized one? Hells yeah!

8 57.14%
  • Only if cheap

2 14.29%
  • Only if...

1 7.14%
  • Na

3 21.43%
  • A robot by any other name will just as suck

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Octone

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Octone

Octone with Murk

Series – Titans Return
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco – Retool of Prime
    Wave - 5
    Released here – About to be
    Approximate Retail Price - $49
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Fuel tanker/cargo plane
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Titan Master, triple changer
    Main Colours – Purple, White, Grey
    Main Accessories – Gun, rifle, Murk

Robot Mode

I think probably the best looking official Octone toy we have had to date (which if you count the Kre-O version makes a whopping total of 4). He has the taller shoulders reminiscent of the Universe version and the dynamic wings of the G1 version along with the squarish chest. Once again he is able to be posed fairly easily as well as good articulation. Would have been nice to see him armed with a shield instead of a second gun.

Tanker Truck Mode

Best. Taker Truck Mode. Ever. The G1 version was good but the huge arms at the sides wrecked it and you had to add the huge cover on the back whereas here it is built in. This tanker mode looks very sleek for a tanker truck, makes the odd colour scheme work well and I love the stripes at the sides. Only thing is be careful of the stripes – they are stickers, not paint – and are liable to get worn off unless you are careful during transformations. There is a small unobtrusive cockpit on the top of the tanker for Murk to ride in.

Cargo Plane Mode

It seems all Octone toys suffer in some form from having a bit that just wont fit. With the G1 toy it was the arms in tanker truck mode (yes they weren’t great in plane mode either but at least sorta hid under the wings) and with the Universe mode it was that one of the robots arms ended in a vastly oversized melee blade that frankly looked odd at best. With this incarnation of Octane it’s the cargo plane mode. The front two-thirds look fine but he has the split truck cab sitting either side at the back, making the G1 plane vastly superior to me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice enough looking plane but certainly the weakest of his three modes.

For more pics and info about Octone, please check out my blog HERE!

Finally an Octane that doesn't suck.

Picked him up the other night (skipped the G2 Prime release of this mould, so it's new to me)

quite satisfied

Trev, you say the jet mode is Octone's weakest form but it's stronger than the jet mode of the Optimus mould. Because that jet comes across like a zany and bizarre creation from the Lego Movie compared to Octone's cargo plane attempt which has more realism to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Trev, you say the jet mode is Octone's weakest form but it's stronger than the jet mode of the Optimus mould. Because that jet comes across like a zany and bizarre creation from the Lego Movie compared to Octone's cargo plane attempt which has more realism to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It seems all Octone toys suffer in some form from having a bit that just wont fit. With the G1 toy it was the arms in tanker truck mode (yes they weren’t great in plane mode either but at least sorta hid under the wings) and with the Universe mode it was that one of the robots arms ended in a vastly oversized melee blade that frankly looked odd at best. With this incarnation of Octane it’s the cargo plane mode. The front two-thirds look fine but he has the split truck cab sitting either side at the back, making the G1 plane vastly superior to me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice enough looking plane but certainly the weakest of his three modes.
    Yep, and I'll stand by that. Though I will most happily concede that his plane mode looks vastly superior to the Optimus one (a toy which I skipped - the first Optimus toy from a main line i've bypassed in years)

Pretty solid alt modes and a great looking bot that synergises well with Generations Sandstorm. Still, some of the non-essential joints (one of the shoulder bits on the very top) are a tiny bit looser than I’d prefer. The collar thing present in all the voyagers doesn’t look very good here, but it’s easily put away.

The toy-accurate stickers honestly do really well, better than non-metallic tampos would, as he is a little dinky tanker. Hope they don’t peel.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I think I would have liked this toy a lot more if he had come out before the “pre-paints” of OP, which was a poor fit for the character. The OP that uses this mould in the Chaos on Velocitron boxset was a thoroughly disappointing toy.

Octone is pretty sweet though, despite having the typical inherent weakness of almost all triple changes - at least one mode always feels a bit shoehorned in, and compromises have to be made. In this case, the jet mode is a bit dodgy.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I opened this over the weekend and really found myself hating it. It's probably not actually that bad but playing with it made want to not bother with Astrotrain or Blitzwing or Broadside.

It kinda looks right in all modes, and the head sculpt is actually really good, but something just felt really off and I was disappointed.