Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (JAN-2013) Hasbro Gen1 Cartoon - Comments and episode reviews

Default (JAN-2013) Hasbro Gen1 Cartoon - Comments and episode reviews

Remember much about the cartoon?
    If so, what did you think of it?

When did you first see it?

Is it recommended viewing for others?

If you haven't watched it yet, or in a while, now is the time to re-watch it and review it as you go.

(The 1986 Movie can be included here as well)

Love the cartoon, i grew up on it.
    I know a lot will say it was an animated sales catalogue but my fond memories and even rewatching it these days brings a lot of enjoyment.

I always used to get up early in the 80's to watch it everytime it was on and i would recommend to any newer fans who havent seen it

I know i will be raising my little ones on this cartoon

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

If you haven't watched it yet, or in a while, now is the time to re-watch it and review it as you go.

I missed out on G1 and Transformers in general when it was first aired. I began watching it in about 2007 on DVD.

I think the G1 cartoon is very funny. The way that the characters act on the show, some of the (bad) storylines, and the way that they have the "good" Autobots and "evil" Decepticons so clearly marked out where the Autobots always win in the end, well, yeah, I've just got to find it funny. Of course, it was G1 that set the standard for the general theme of Transformers (as well as many of the characters) used in all subsequent shows and movies of the franchise.

Despite all its flaws however, the cartoon is still highly enjoyable to watch. It's the original, "grass roots" continuity of Transformers that helped kick off the huge, long-running and ever changing franchise that it is today.

Recommended viewing? For already established newer fans, yes. For potential fans that know nothing about Transformers but want to give it a go? No. I'd recommend that they watch Tf: Prime first (or the live action movies since they would have already seen or heard of them). Then when they watch G1, they'll hopefully have a much better understanding and appreciation of what started it all.

Oh, by the way, I (Is hate too strong a word? Probably.) really dislike the events of the 1986 movie. Seriously, Galvatron? Yuck. So seasons 3 & 4 are ruined for me. Bring back Megatron, please.

I love it and continue to watch it everyday... or rather every night before I go to sleep

I remember seeing the very first episode screening on Saturday morning and was so excited by it, that I recorded half the episode to BETA to re-watch over and over. I didn't manage to see the movie at the cinemas (my parents never took me) however to this day, my Xmas tradition is to watch TF:TM which I have done every year since 1988.

Would I recommend the series to someone who hasn't seen it before; probably not. By today's standards it's seriously dated.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

its the best.

i would recommend it only to mecha lovers.

It's what I grew up on. Still awesome for me, in a nostalgic way but yeah nowadays you tend to see all the flaws that way back you never did and some times think some dialogue are quite corny heheeh. So glad they managed to remaster it digitally.

When I was in 5th grade - it was a Friday night cartoons on Channel 9 (govt. channel) in Philippines same timeslot though with He-man (channel 7) so I had to keep flipping the TV ( in black in white too )

For all those who grew up around that time yes, they'd get a kick out of it Im sure , nostalgia an all that.

For newer generations, unless they're really into TFs they might find a lot of inconsistencies and think the toons, topics are kinda dated. Although Id prolly recommend some of the story arcs that are quite memorable and worth watching - e.g. More than meet's the Eye (1st 3 epsiodes(pilot), Starscream's Brigade, Heavy Metal War. - The are awesome self contained arc IMO

Re watching the dvds, you do tend to see and notice now the inconsistencies in drawing, coloring especially for background characters.

Wish they didn't cut some of the stuff in the movie - some of which are included as special features in the DVD. Would've helped explain some things fans had to imagine what happened to who instead due to some scenes not included.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

A bit, I didn't like Galvatron and Scourge scared me a little in the episode when he used the matrix. I remember loving the combaticons as I had swindle and always wondered why Grapple was only in a couple of episodes as I had him too!

On VHS!! Well I was into GI Joes, my friend TF's so it would have been 1988 or maybe 1989 that I first saw the toys and his mum would put the VHS on while we played with the toys. Remember NZ was exactly 18 months behind the US with transformer releases.

However the first time I saw it on TV was on Channel 3 in 1993 or 1994? It was on the weekday mornings and the ordering of the episodes was confusing to say the least. They went from series 2 to series 3 and then at the end of series 3 broke the movie up into seperate episodes. God I remember how much that confused me. I only realised in 2002 that I had watched the movie in serial form without know it was transformes the Movie!

What Liege said

I loved this cartoon as a kid. Playing Saturday morning sport, I rarely saw it first hand; but Dad allowed my sister and I to choose one Saturday morning cartoon each that he set for recording on VHS. I don’t think I have to elaborate which one I nominated... The cartoon forms the basis of my knowledge of The Transformers universe and provides a reference for the characters and their look... I lapped up almost every episode up to the movie!

I saw MTME Part 1 when it was first aired. I don’t know how or why I knew it was on – I vaguely remember hearing it was going to be on, forgetting about it but then just happening to have the TV on when it started.

I’d be interested if anyone can tell me when that may have been? I seem to recall knowing the characters from drooling over the first catalogue before seeing the cartoon and I think I was on school holidays; so in my mind that places it 84/85 Christmas holidays? I think it was also repeated (or even first aired) in a lunch time or matinee slot... or maybe that's when I re-watched the video recording? - I did that a lot!

I’d recommend it to diehard fans who want to see where the characters of today evolved from (or nostalgia if you'd already seen it). But recommending it for entertainment value – I don’t think so. Viewing for that reason I think would leave you disappointed. I don’t think it has the refinement of contemporary cartoons for much the same reasons as others have stated and the advances in animation methods since then date it badly.

I go back and watch it quite often - mainly my more favoured episodes. I won't offer reviews but just a general observation - is anyone else struck by the abundance of renewable energy utilised worldwide in the mid-80s?!

What do you remember?
    I remember staying up at 7:30 for a lot of 2005, watching reruns of G1. It made me feel great and having grown up with the Cybertron cartoon, there were very narrow limits on what characters I wanted, since only a handful looked vaguely like their G1 counterparts.
    So, it was up to me to use my imagination.
    I remember watching the insecticons for the first time and then grabbing my brother's Batman's green backpack thing, which came across to me as Shrapnel.
    Of course, like many, I too jumped around making transforming noises and contorted my body to weird and wacky shapes.
    I especially remember trying to transform myself like Galvatron, which, in that age, I thought was quite convincing, seeing as he has a quite simple transformation.
    Those were the good old days where I had not a worry in the world. Good times. Make me smile.
    What was weird was, I would always note when it went into season 3, which I referred to as something like: "Prime dead Galvatron is Megatron episodes", or something of that nature. I would love that shift in season, as it went through the whole G1 Cartoon many, many times.
    The weirder part was that I soon got sick of no prime and longed for the day that they would go to season 1 and 2, but when I watched 1 and 2 for a long time, I longed for the day that Season 3 would start and Galvatron would rear his awesome face. I was a weird kid back then. Super short hair. Those were the days.
    I would definitely recommend this show for anyone even interested in Transformers, as it kind of provides a basis for recognizing particular characters.
    It may not have the best development or continuity, or a good story for that matter, but it wasn't about that when I was 5/6. It was about seeing the characters.

I would like to add another question. What are your favourite episodes and some that you particularly remember?

For me, I definitely remember Web World, as it has left some kind of imprinted thought that Galvatron would become Megatron again when he turned white/grey.
    I remember MTMTE parts 1,2 and 3, along with five faces of darkness.
    I remember thinking that Earth was destroyed and they were all lost in space, which, even now seems quite logical, apart from a few Earth-based episodes.

Overall, I will always love the original cartoon more than anything else, as it is what I remember and cherished as a child.
    Good show!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I missed out on G1 and Transformers in general when it was first aired. I began watching it in about 2007 on DVD.

I think the G1 cartoon is very funny. The way that the characters act on the show, some of the (bad) storylines, and the way that they have the "good" Autobots and "evil" Decepticons so clearly marked out where the Autobots always win in the end, well, yeah, I've just got to find it funny. Of course, it was G1 that set the standard for the general theme of Transformers (as well as many of the characters) used in all subsequent shows and movies of the franchise.

Despite all its flaws however, the cartoon is still highly enjoyable to watch. It's the original, "grass roots" continuity of Transformers that helped kick off the huge, long-running and ever changing franchise that it is today.

Recommended viewing? For already established newer fans, yes. For potential fans that know nothing about Transformers but want to give it a go? No. I'd recommend that they watch Tf: Prime first (or the live action movies since they would have already seen or heard of them). Then when they watch G1, they'll hopefully have a much better understanding and appreciation of what started it all.

Oh, by the way, I (Is hate too strong a word? Probably.) really dislike the events of the 1986 movie. Seriously, Galvatron? Yuck. So seasons 3 & 4 are ruined for me. Bring back Megatron, please.
    You would have been so boss watching web world as a kid. I thought that he was becoming Megatron again.

If you set aside your love for Megatron, which is understandable (who doesn't love guns and robots?!), you may be able to see that Galvatron is really his own character and the only thing relating him to Megatron in any way is his origin, which doesn't change much, as he is practically completely different /unique in terms of mind.
    I would treat Galvatron as a different character, if you wanted to appreciate him more.