Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pawn stars - Transformers Collection

I would love that collection, and agree with everyone else that he could get alot more.
    I suppose I understand the need to get cash fast, but there have to be better ways, like bank loans or something, at least until you can sell off each toy peice by peice.
    But hey I'd look at buying it, just give me his details

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It's called a wife
    She would've known he had a massive collection before they got married, surely. And I find it hard to imagine that they never discussed living with his collection and with each other and with child(ren) in the future. Cos ya know... couples usually talk about this kinda stuff before committing. (-_-) Unless he was DAMN good at hiding that collection from her!

"What the hell's in this room?"
    "Oh nothing, look behind you - a purple distraction!"

Quote Originally Posted by RokDog View Post
    It is a shame when people feel they have to sell their collection, but I can understand where they're coming from. In this guy's case, when you discover you're going to be a father, that probably had a pretty profound impact on what was more important to him. Space is one thing, but $20k in a trust fund over 18 years will cover the kid's future college fees!
    I'm sure it would... but he said the main reason he was selling it was to clear the room. I'm just astounded that he managed to get himself into this predicament to begin with. Like I said before, when my wife and I were looking into buying our home, we knew two things:
    1/ I needed a room for my Transformers collection.
    2/ We wanted to start a family in the (then) future.
    ...so as a result we intentionally bought a home with a room for my TFs and a room for our baby. Not rocket science.

This gentleman must have had a similar conversation with his partner when purchasing their home and knew that they needed space for his collection and future child. I'm amazed that he got himself into this unfortunate situation where he's had to make what must have been a painful decision to sell his Transformers collection that he's spent 2.5 decades building.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokdog
    For me, after I got a mortgage, all of a sudden the TF collection dropped much lower on my list of priorities. It's hard to keep collecting when in the back of my head every $100 I spent on bots is actually costing me $100 plus 7% over the next however many years lol
    TF collecting is still a priority for me. I've just learnt to become more thrifty. Budgeting and planning future purchases ahead of time helps (e.g. I saved up for months before the ROTF toys hit shelves -- so I didn't go broke buying them when they came out ).

Quote Originally Posted by Rokdog
    Whilst I could never part with the collection, I do look back and have regrets buying multiples of whatever I was obsessing over at the time: 8 Gnaws, 60+ cassettes, at least 3 of every combiner (excl Japanese ones). I just so couldn't sell em off after all the effort I went to in finding them!
    If I were desperate, as I imagine the gentleman in the video is - then I'd sell the multiples. Sure I wouldn't be happy about it, but it beats selling _everything_. But I suppose this guy would rather have nothing than keep a severely amputated portion of his childhood collection.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    I suppose I understand the need to get cash fast, but there have to be better ways, like bank loans or something,
    Exactly! And you can live with one kidney!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren
    But hey I'd look at buying it, just give me his details
    Well, if you got enough to buy his whole collection - go for it. Just be sure to sell your spares to the rest of us!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    She would've known he had a massive collection before they got married, surely. And I find it hard to imagine that they never discussed living with his collection and with each other and with child(ren) in the future. Cos ya know... couples usually talk about this kinda stuff before committing. (-_-) Unless he was DAMN good at hiding that collection from her!

"What the hell's in this room?"
    "Oh nothing, look behind you - a purple distraction!"
    You never know... I'm sure there are quite a few members here that have dated (do the kids still call it that) and did not reveal their collection until well into the relationship - if at all. It is then plausible that one could go to the point of being married without full disclosure of ones 'secret' plastic crack desires.

Seen it happen and it normally doesn't end well for the males. Either your relegated to a dark dirty corner of the garage to hang your Pearl Jam Ten poster, or your stuff is the first to be placed on the trading block e.g. Ebay, when the time comes to discuss creating little protoforms in your image.

Of course there is a flip-side to that coin and I appear to be one of the lucky ones... or am I *looks suspiciously at wife*
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Seen it happen and it normally doesn't end well for the males.
    Yeah, deception usually isn't recommended in a healthy relationship.

Unless it's a white lie, like sneaking a toy you just bought into the house under her radar.

Unless it's a white lie, like sneaking a toy you just bought into the house under her radar.
    Done that on a couple of occasions

And even had some delivered and then she asks all the questions

Yeah, deception usually isn't recommended in a healthy relationship.

Perhaps she just didn't like his collection, went along with it anyway and then slowly tried to change him.
    My ex did that. She was alright with it at first but then started to dislike it and try to make me stop buying.
    Some people are crafty like that
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    My ex did that. She was alright with it at first but then started to dislike it and try to make me stop buying.
    Some people are crafty like that
    ...yeah, but 'sif you'd commit yourself to the point where you've bought a home and started a family with someone like that.

I hate to burst your bubble on relationships Gok, but there are people like that.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

...yeah, but 'sif you'd commit yourself to the point where you've bought a home and started a family with someone like that.
    Dunno. You hear stories like that. It could also be that the dislike started after they moved in and started a family.
    What I do know is that you do not want to piss off a pregnant woman. Do what she demands by any means necessary. Learnt that the hard way at a hospital cafe.....
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Wife: "Honey, I'm pregnant and I'm keeping the baby. We need the room and the money so you're selling your toys."
    Husband:

This sort of thing is why a non-negotiable condition of any living arrangements I have is my own room, with living together being a duress thing for negotiations purposes. It's my space that I can escape to and deck out how I want - including shelves of Transformers - and guarantees I don't end up sleeping on the couch after late/drunken nights out, or when any Grasshopperettes are down with the flu or somesuch.

Also, $5000? WTF? Maybe $5000 for the Fortress Maximii, but really...$5000?