Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic reviews: IDW More Than Meets The Eye ongoing

Something else I realised about this comic: It didnt feel the need to advertise that a character was going to die (I know it is nothing new for this series). No tricks or gimmicks like in many tv shows where they foreshadow a death and make it either a) a dream etc or b) a newish/minor character.

ramifications of this issue are huge for a number of characters and the last page reveal will make for some must read issues in the near future!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

On my first read through, I wondered if the "accident" wasn't an accident, but on subsequent readings I think it was and just intended to wipe the grin off someone's face. For a little while anyway.

I love that some of the little throwaway lines from Red Alert in issue 5 all came to mean something this issue, like Whirl's multiple personality disorder and Rewind's discs. One thing I didn't get was why Red Alert needed a hand at the end? The drill I get but the hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    On my first read through, I wondered if the "accident" wasn't an accident, but on subsequent readings I think it was and just intended to wipe the grin off someone's face. For a little while anyway.
    Which accident are you referring too? I can think of a few instances that could e interpreted as accidents!

I think this will be one of those comics that when you re-read 12+ issues back to back you'll pick up on all these crazy "throw away" lines like Paulbot said that were more like a "foreshadowing" than just a funny line.

Everything happens in MtMtE for a reason.

I love that some of the little throwaway lines from Red Alert in issue 5 all came to mean something this issue, like Whirl's multiple personality disorder and Rewind's discs. One thing I didn't get was why Red Alert needed a hand at the end? The drill I get but the hand?
    I took it as red alert removed his hand and installed the drill piece, pretty talented one handed unless cybertronians can adapt/ self repair components.

This series is defiantly more enjoyable and meatier then the sister book,
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Which accident are you referring too? I can think of a few instances that could e interpreted as accidents!
    I meant the nasty head wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I took it as red alert removed his hand and installed the drill piece, pretty talented one handed unless cybertronians can adapt/ self repair components.
    Ah. That makes sense. The last panel on page 25 does shows him with the drill in place of his right hand. The "listening in" panel doesn't make it clear that he's swapping the components, and the next panel doesn't make it clear how he's using the drill.

I meant the ...
    Well he did mention he was a poor shot, and lets face it, none of Hot Rod Rodimus's plans have really gone like he planned in the IDW stories. Probably due to the lack of planning.

Wow... a pretty emotionally intense story! I like how the conflicts are principally psychological rather than physical. I still really enjoy the various individual personality quirks amongst the different characters...
    * Rodimus: legend in his own lunchtime. Certainly not as competent as he thinks he is as leader, and the consequences of his ineptness is coming home to roost.
    * Ultra Magnus: others fob him off as being too straight-laced, but Magnus knows the value and importance of adhering to protocols. He's watching Rodimus wantonly ignore protocols and the nightmarish chaos that's unfolding before his eyes. Magnus knows that none of this crap would have happened if he were in charge.
    * Swerve: what's not to love about this dude? I kinda pitied him at the end when he was placed in the unenviable task of being the sniper.
    * Rewind: this dude's got seriously pent up issues.
    * Whirl: psycho-maniac (but ultimately still not to be underestimated)
    * Fortress Maximus: Vengeful ball of hate (with guns in his legs!). Ultra Magnus was so right... why would you let a guy like this, with all he's been through, walk around with a loaded weapon??
    * Tailgate: the ancient noob trying to fit in... only one he considers a friend seems to be Cyclonus.
    * Cyclonus: hated by all. Can't stand Tailgate.
    * Red Alert: Unhinged and paranoid. As the "Meet The Crew" page says, he's 'somehow still' director of security. The somehow still meaning Rodimus' unwillingness to stand him down.

With so many of the Lost Light's crew getting wounded or killed, I reckon Ultra Magnus ought to relieve Rodimus of command. Also, I should care more about Rung's death than I do... I would if they'd used an existing toy-character instead of just inventing some random disposable mook. Why not use someone really obscure like Rescue Force Jalgar? <shrug> They could still call him Rung since those toys never had official individual names.

Also not fond of Transformers referring to themselves as "men." Lame.

SPOILERS

Oh No!!!

The whole Rung death caught me by surprise and I was sad! He may not have been a toy character but they had him around long enough for you to get to know him and he felt like an interesting new non-toy character - On hindsight, I should have known that this ultimately means he is fair game but it didn't click for some reason, possibly because he wasn't just some background or 'Hi&Bye' character

Rung was my favorite new Non-Toy character.

I am a little sad about Rung's death but at least that is what makes comics worth reading, the unpredictability of the story and certainly strengthens the impact at the end. I feel really bad for Swerve.

Wow best TF comic issue in ages, I didn't see any of it coming, nice work.

More Spoilers.......................

I was caught of guard by Rungs death, He was one of the more interesting characters, why couldn't it have been that boring drunken one trick pony Trailebreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

With so many of the Lost Light's crew getting wounded or killed, I reckon Ultra Magnus ought to relieve Rodimus of command. Also, I should care more about Rung's death than I do... I would if they'd used an existing toy-character instead of just inventing some random disposable mook. Why not use someone really obscure like Rescue Force Jalgar? <shrug> They could still call him Rung since those toys never had official individual names.
    Had quite the opposite effect on me, and I'm sorry to say this is partly because of IDW's habit of killing off toy characters from 1989 onward. Had Rung been some obscure toy from this period onward I would have been expecting his death every issue, because that's what happens when your not part of the first four years of toys. The fact that Rung was not a toy character and served a purpose made me think he was going to become a fixture, kinda like Emmirate Xarron in the Marvel UK series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    The fact that Rung was not a toy character and served a purpose made me think he was going to become a fixture, kinda like Emmirate Xarron in the Marvel UK series.
    That was my line of thinking too. I thought having a head doctor on board could open up lots of different stories and situations. I mean his death opens alot of doors for the crazies like Red Alert and Whirl to further deteriorate, but it would have been fun to have almost side stories looking back on characters past lives while in his chairs.

Plus I loved that his model ships were getting destroyed. Nice running gag.