Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice topic, it's good to hear about other experiences and techniques. Here's my setup which I've used for several years, Iwata HP-CS and basic Sparmax compressor. The compressor doesn't have any pressure controls so I have to use the screw at the bottom of the trap to adjust it. Not ideal but it works ok most of the time. I just have to be careful on really humid days which luckily are not that frequent. I'm surprised at how high the pressure you guys work at. For general work mine is 15-20psi and close in detail work is 5-10psi.

I also have an Aztek which I don't really use anymore and don't recommend.

I also have a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity which is nice, but I haven't used it a lot as my Iwata does it all. I was planning to use it for fine detail work but I've found my Iwata is pretty good at that too. All the gradations are painted with the Iwata.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    also, if you can, try and get an airtank. its suppose to be better for the hot weather. what you do is paint using the air from the tank only and all the air compressor does is occasionally top up the tank when it runs below a certain limit (top up level is much at a higher pressure than your max working pressure so you still have a steady flow). that way if your air compressor overheats and hits a thermal cut out, you can still continue painting with the air supplied from the tank. plus the air compressor is not on constantly which means longer times for it to overheat.
    This is a good idea. If my compressor dies then I would get a tank one with pressure controls. The pulsing on mine is very minimal, probably because of the trap but I think a tank would be better. That said it's still going strong and has never failed me on hot summer days.

I agree to that you need a good holder. Mine is attached to the compressor but I used to use a roll of sticky tape which got knocked over quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledealer
    -3M 6200 Respirator with 3M 60921 P100 cartridges (when spraying Enamels)
    I use these 3m filters as well. I spray mainly Gunze lacquers and auto paints so it's a must. I also use disposable gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    lastly, an air brush is great for dusting and cleaning your transformers as well.
    add a bit of water and bam...you also got yourself a nice way to cool yourself down in the summer...lol. (just make sure you clean it real good first )
    Good idea!
    I always give the parts a spray of air to clean off dust before applying paint.

I have one of these Gunze cleaning pots, brand new if anyone is interested for $20 shipped anywhere.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZPS-257

just a question that air compressor at the top looks very similar to this one from total tools just without all the stickers and black paint. I don't know

http://www.totaltools.com.au/icat/pdf.php?id=358

i think its $169 and u can get it cheaper on sales

honestly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it's good to know there is this thread when I finally do get an airbrush ( that is in line with some other stuff to buy list) at least I have a reference to go to and know who to ask for experience and such.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]