Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 61621222324252627282930313646 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Metal Thunder.

Why is it I always discover bands after one of the member dies?

Quite a great piece of Doom Metal right here and here

And for those that like folk metal (and for those that are going to go see them at Soundwave in a few months time) Turisas - Supernaut
    These guys are amazing, cannot wait to finally see them.

After sifting through a shit-tone of .wma's courtesy of 1AZRAEL1 (Horrible, horrible things ) and .mp3's courtesy of another mate, I spent quite a bit of time yesterday listening to Judas Priest (More than I have ever had) which is basically "The 1st time" I've listened to them and I've got to say: I'm a fan.

I'm, hence, currently listening to them via 'The Essential - Judas Priest' of which I purchased for $13.00 at JB-Hifi earlier this morning and I'm absolutely digging it!

2 Discs covering 30 years of Hella Metal, from a band I basically knew nothing about up until yesterday - F*** I love this genre!
    (Subsequently; I've also identified that my tastes lie with bands that formed prior to 2000, specifically 1995 and earlier )

Priest are the founders of that dual guitar speed metal sound that influensed so many of the earlier thrash bands.

That twin CD is a great way to be introduced to the might & power of the Priest.

Pretty much everything of Judas Priest from 'Sad Wings of Destiny' to 'Defenders of the Faith' is well worth it.
    After you are done with Priest, you can jump across to Mercyful Fate.

@Prowl & Demonac: They certainly are in many ways just as definitive as Sabbath were for the genre and I'm thoroughly loving the 34 Tracks tracks that I have in front of me!

As for Mercyful Fate, and by extension King Diamond, I do have a bit of their/his stuff as 1AZRAEL1 is a big proponent of 'em.
    Indeed I shall have to give them a little more "Air Time" once I've finished gorging myself on Judas Priest.

Also, has anyone been viewing Metal Evolution by Sam Dunn? - Man he does an excellent job!

To reiterate what I've said in another place, with regards to Tony Iommi's recent diagnosis of (Early Stage) Lymphatic Cancer:
    I'd like to send the best possible vibes to Iommi, his family and those by extension, so that he might conquer this persistent scourge of humanity.

"Praise be to the Pantheon of Fallen Metal Gods; please aid this giant in his hour of need so as to prevent the world from losing yet another of it's most treasured beacons of light".

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    2 Discs covering 30 years of Hella Metal, from a band I basically knew nothing about up until yesterday - F*** I love this genre!
    (Subsequently; I've also identified that my tastes lie with bands that formed prior to 2000, specifically 1995 and earlier )
    I have a bunch of Priest as well, and my fav album would have to be Painkiller, though they are all fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    Priest are the founders of that dual guitar speed metal sound that influenced so many of the earlier thrash bands.
    One of the greats, even made leather metal

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Pretty much everything of Judas Priest from 'Sad Wings of Destiny' to 'Defenders of the Faith' is well worth it.
    After you are done with Priest, you can jump across to Mercyful Fate.
    MF is another greatly underrated band, incidentally I have all their stuff, including the stuff King did before MF. Purely awesome stuff from them and King Diamond. One very unique vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post

MF is another greatly underrated band, incidentally I have all their stuff, including the stuff King did before MF. Purely awesome stuff from them and King Diamond. One very unique vocalist.
    Dani from 'Cradle of Filth' would get a lot of his inspiration from King.

A quick correction: MF released 2 albums before splitting up and letting King go his own way. They reformed again many years later. I think they are no more again, as King seems to release albums under 'King Diamond' only nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Dani from 'Cradle of Filth' would get a lot of his inspiration from King.

A quick correction: MF released 2 albums before splitting up and letting King go his own way. They reformed again many years later. I think they are no more again, as King seems to release albums under 'King Diamond' only nowadays.
    Ever heard COF cover of Devil Woman? King does guest vocals on it. Quite an awesome cover.

Talking about covers, Lita Ford singing Only Women Bleed. She does it well.

And a classic from a great Aussie Metal band Vanishing Point and the song that first got me into them when I saw it on Rage many many a year ago when they played good stuff. I bring this up, because after 8 years of searching (not very hard ) I finally bought their debut album with those 2 songs on it. Fantastic band, I seen them on a few occasions. And a newer song of theirs.

Another Aussie Classic Dungeon