View Poll Results: Cyberverse Powerglide - worth buying?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 40.91%
  • Only if cheap

9 40.91%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

2 9.09%
  • Not interested

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Cyberverse Powerglide

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Default Toy Review - Cyberverse Powerglide

Robzy's Rant:

"And away we go..."

Ah yes, Powerglide. Always a fave of mine - gotta love an arrogant show pony! I was really looking forward to the new DOTM: Cyberverse version when it was announced. So, let's take a look...

First thing is - the price. At the time of this review he can be found at Target for a whopping $18 Pretty pricey to be honest. But he looks so darn attractive in that packaging. Is he worth the price? Depends on how much you love the homage to G1 Powerglide and want the figure I guess. But I will answer this question properly after the review.

Out of the package, he's fantastic! I love the little touches and homages to the original G1 figure, while still keeping a modern feel. He's (sort of) got the wings on the side of his body and the "nosecone" head.

The best part is that his face is not too "movie-verse" for me. I'm not really a big fan of that insectoid aesthetic so I was a little concerned at first, especially about his face. But he's no more a Bayformer than Generations Warpath or even Wave 1 Classics Optimus Prime. He fits nicely in my Classics/Generations display.

His Robot mode is a little weird - he has odd feet in that they're very large, but also very skinny compared to his legs. His head has no articulation due to his transformation, so poor Powerglide can't look left or right. The wings on his arms make it a little hard to put him in any excessively dynamic poses, but they don't restrict him too much. The BIG thing (ironically) is how small he is! I was very surprise at just how small he is! He is quite a bit shorter than Scout-sized RTS Windcharger... only really coming up to his chest. I found that odd and a little disappointing. I was hoping they'd be the same for display purposes...

Alas, sadly, Powerglide is not much taller than an average Legends class figure...

The above pic shows two things - 1) How small Powerglide is (for his class and price point) and 2) That all we need now is a small Seaspray homage

All that said, I still think he looks fantastic... especially as a stand alone figure. Transformation is quite simple, but still fun.

It's really in Alt mode that PG shines...

I love the look of him in this mode. He's a cross between the G1 and Universe versions and he looks great! I can't say enough good things about this mode. His 2 guns (or mega-gun) split apart to form the missiles under his wings. He even has the 'arms folded under the wings' homage to the original. Love it!

So, overall I think Powerglide is an excellent addition to my TF ranks, and he's easily one of the best new figures I've bought in the last 3 months. His Alt mode is brilliant, and his Robot mode is very good. I guess that means he averages out to being a 'Great' figure. Which brings me to my initial question...

Is he worth is?

Price wise... at $18, I'd say no way. He's honestly worth about $12-13 in my opinion. He's very small (not much bigger than Legends Warpath) but still a lot more detailed and intricate compared to other smaller TFs. It's a hard class-size to rate to be honest... it's sort of an in-between that makes no sense. I would have preferred him to be an inch or so bigger and be up there with the Scouts. His limited articulation also hurts!

From a playability/fun factor POV - the answer is Yes! He's definitely worth it. If you can afford him I'd say he's definitely recommended, but if you're strapped for cash, maybe you could wait for a sale. He seems to be scarce at the moment (that could very well change though) so you have to be prepared for the fact he could sell out and you'd have to track one down somewhere, like on ebay, for an over-inflated price. I guess, in that scenario, $18 isn't so bad.

Robzy's last word: Recommended!

Thanks for the review Robzy - I had no idea he was that small!

I assumed that being in the class that's replaced the Scout class and the DOTM toys overall being slightly smaller, he'd be a fraction or two shorter than a Scout, but to only come up to Windcharger's chest?

Hmm... I'm not much a fan of his bot mode and I totally agree that his alt mode is where he shines, but I'm not about to go drop $18 on him when he'll spend most of his life displayed in bot mode anyway.

So I've picked "only if cheap" (and I mean like sub-$10 cheap)

i do like the figure he is a tad expensive for his size i think kmart want $20 so i would wait until a sale unless you really got to have him now being a G1 homage in which case you probably dont care about the price

much better than the universe powerglide that we got a couple of years ago too

i went and bought the Human Alliance Basics for $19ea and they're bigger and much better value. HA Sandstorm comes up to Gen Warpath's chest cannon which i feel is reasonable at $19 vs $25 but for Powerglide to be even shorter and commanding $18-20 is insane!

I like him. Picked him up as soon as I found him. Yes he is a bit pricey for his size but overall well worth it. Out of the package, missiles removed and straight onto the Classicsverse Minibot shelf.
    His size doesn't really worry me in comparison to the others he's displayed with as they all all different sizes. Ultra sized Hot House (formerlly Universe Powerglide) Voyager Seaspray, Deluxe Bumblebee and Scout Windcharger.

I spent $15 on this guy at the Target sale, and I still feel ripped off. He's small and his plastic feels very inferior to previous scout figures.

Though I gotta admit, once he is in plane mode it's pretty kickass

I got him from Big W for around $15.

I love him as he looks like an Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (Tanker killer)

I too agree that the Commander series are very expensive for what they are.

Even Megatron Commander looks like a Legends class toy, but with a lot more detail.
    I'm walking away from Transformers. Check out my sales thread

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...089#post314089

Powerglide
    Series - Dark of the Moon
    Sub-line - Cyberverse
    Size/class - Commander
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 2
    Released here - May 2011
    Approximate Retail Price - $16-20
    Approximate Size - 10cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Fighter plane
    Main Features/Gimmicks - none
    Main Colours - Blue, grey
    Main Accessories - 2 Missile-pods

I think it's great. Powerglide was my very first Transformer so I have a soft spot for him and this is a very nice modern update. In plane mode he feels about the right size as the original, so much so I expected to see his face from underneath. He gets a nice modern robot mode that isn't too movie-ish overall. I can't call any of these toys "Scouts", it is small. I prefer the "Cyberverse Plus" label the stores in the US use. It's a plus size legend, or maybe a BW era Basic. Do your best to get it cheap, but get it.

I agree with all that u said. Jet mode is genius, Robot mode is OK but to small. Definitely dont pay any more than $15. Probably best to wait for a sale.
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.