Page 90 of 120 FirstFirst ... 70808586878889909192939495100110 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    IDW answered that when they did the Movie comic... Menasor and Bruticus were attacking the ark when Defensor, Superion and Omega Supreme were defending it.
    That's Awesome! I did not know that... I really need to catch up on my IDW comics

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    Iv'e always considered its non specific/errating firing and aiming to point to it's automation.
    Well that's always been my thought too, but since we other Autobots manning weapons (Blaster's tower is very similar) maybe it's not?

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Considering how few Autobots we actually see in the city in the movie I always thought the city was mostly empty. After all it was only a handful of Decepticons that attacked Autobot city yet they nearly won. Sure Devastator was key, but if the city was full of Autobots you would expect at least one Autobot combiner to be present.
    When it comes to assumptions, I always figured any of the 1984/85 Autobots we didn't see in season 3 was there... and died. The mausoleum ship in Dark Awakening is fairly large.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    IDW answered that when they did the Movie comic... Menasor and Bruticus were attacking the ark when Defensor, Superion and Omega Supreme were defending it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    That's Awesome! I did not know that... I really need to catch up on my IDW comics
    It's only in the collected edition, and it's not much better than a fanfic explanation really, but it's there. And you can see a scan here: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TAM_TPB_Gestalt_Fight.jpg

This has made me wonder if the current G1 collection will have a volume that includes both the Marvel and IDW adapations of TFTM. Doesn't seem to be a place for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    It's only in the collected edition, and it's not much better than a fanfic explanation really, but it's there. And you can see a scan here: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TAM_TPB_Gestalt_Fight.jpg

This has made me wonder if the current G1 collection will have a volume that includes both the Marvel and IDW adapations of TFTM. Doesn't seem to be a place for it though.
    Thanks for the link. Glad I've seen it now

Of course the reality is that the script for TFTM was written in 1985. Hasbro themselves probably hadn't fully developed the 1986 line up and Sunbow were just going off what toys they knew that Hasbro were planning on releasing, as well as a few figures that Hasbro were developing based on Sunbow's designs (e.g. Galvatron, Rodimus Prime, Cyclonus etc.).

And we know that there were scenes that would've showcased more 1985 characters but they were cut. Such as the scene where Ultra Magnus carries a bunch of Autobot Cars including Tracks, Red Alert, Hoist etc. in his car carrier mode before deploying them in front of an advancing Devastator. It is this attack which forces Devastator to separate into the Constructicons with Megatron close behind them, but then Megatron is stopped as Optimus Prime steps in behind him. This is why in TFTM we see Megatron turning around as he faces Prime, because he was previously watching the Constructicons pursuing Ultra Magnus and the '85 Autobot Cars (and Sideswipe). This piece of animation still made it into the final cut even though the scene before it was cut.

But yeah, I'd say the reason why a lot of 1986 toys didn't appear in the movie was because they hadn't been developed or decided yet. Writers like those who worked in the IDW adaptation have basically retconned what happened, which as Paulbot said is basically what fanfic writers do, but it certainly was never the intention of the original writers. And the retcon only exists in the IDW TFTM adaptation universe anyway - just as Ultra Magnus being drawn and quartered by the Sweeps only exists in the Marvel TFTM comic adaptation (it was also originally in the script, but Sunbow decided to change it to Ultra Magnus just blowing up -- I guess because being drawn and quartered would been too violent?).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I guess because being drawn and quartered would been too violent?).
    Too bad they still decided to traumatise a generation of children with all the other deaths.

It was the 80s. People didn't care about traumatising us. They sold us toys based on Robocop!

It was the 80s. People didn't care about traumatising us. They sold us toys based on Robocop!
    Robocop 1 or the watered down 2nd and 3rd movie or the even more watered down saturday morning cartoon?

All of the above! They even had a cartoon, comic books and a really weird live action TV series based on it too. Talk about marketing a franchise to the totally wrong audience. As a kid Robocop was just a really cool^super violent cybernetic cop! I was way too young to properly understand and appreciate the story with all of its poignant social themes and motifs - something that a lot of critics have said are sorely missing from the new Robocop remake. The remake is fine as an action film, but as a piece of film literature it is but a shadow of its original namesake. And the over-the-top violence was a deliberate part of the story. I was a uni student when Starship Troopers came out and I was able to better understand and appreciate that story, and of course, go back and appreciate the original Robocop. Definitely things I'd buy for a dollar.

All of the above! They even had a cartoon, comic books and a really weird live action TV series based on it too. Talk about marketing a franchise to the totally wrong audience. As a kid Robocop was just a really cool^super violent cybernetic cop! I was way too young to properly understand and appreciate the story with all of its poignant social themes and motifs - something that a lot of critics have said are sorely missing from the new Robocop remake. The remake is fine as an action film, but as a piece of film literature it is but a shadow of its original namesake. And the over-the-top violence was a deliberate part of the story. I was a uni student when Starship Troopers came out and I was able to better understand and appreciate that story, and of course, go back and appreciate the original Robocop. Definitely things I'd buy for a dollar.
    Made by the same director if I'm not mistaken
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Correct, and also the same writer. And Starship Troopers starred Michael Ironside who would later go on to play Ultra Magnus in Transformers Prime. And Transformers Animated's automated police robots were clearly inspired by Robocop's ED-209.