Page 6 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111626 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Default God of Gamblers

God of Gamblers (1989)
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlagebnYnc

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097244/
    IMDB Score: 7.3
    Synopsis from IMDB: A master gambler loses his memory, and is befriended by a street hustler who discovers his supernatural gambling abilities
    Genre: Action / Drama / Comedy / Feel Good

Review: This movie was thoroughly entertaining to watch, it's overpacked with goofiness and seriousness at the same time yet you know that the cast and crew had fun producing this which makes it more the better as a feel-good movie as there's that genuinity behind the comedy. Though it is flawed at some technical and plot points I could ignore them as they didn't stand out too much. It is like Rain Man, and perhaps is a copy considering the former came out in 88 but I won't compare the two.

The acting is satisfactory, the theme music is well beyond-legendary and the characters are so well created. The only problems I had, though I could not hold the original scriptwriter accountable but perhaps the distributors for was the poor translation from Cantonese to English subtitles. There were many grammatical English errors and some quotes, though perhaps would have made sense in an Eastern context made no sense in a Western Context. Like for example, there was a scene where Yun-Fat says 'I hope you a very happy new years' to his fake-girlfriend's father (she needed someone to pretend to be her boyfriend) and the man wanted to beat him up. Perhaps someone could shed light on what this means to me?

Overall, this movie from an objective score based on traditional filmmaking qualities deserves an 7/10. But on my personal scale, I give it a 9.5/10 as I prefer feel-good goofy movies that are lighthearted and aren't downright patronising. I've seen it about 4 times now, might see it again sometime soon.

Fellas I have just acquired this movie from JB Hi-Fi for $7....

Just watch this video and that's enough of a summary of what is to come:
    (YOU MUST BE +18 ON YOUTUBE TO VIEW THIS VIDEO)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMKN1tYknE

My review will be coming next week...

Just went and saw the movie BATTLESHIP and I really enjoyed it. I give it 5/5 I didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did. It was a little slow at the start but once it got going it didn't stop, will probably go and see it again.

Not really a movie, but one of the best documentaries around.

The Devil at your Heels

Well worth an hour and a half to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    Just went and saw the movie BATTLESHIP and I really enjoyed it. I give it 5/5 I didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did. It was a little slow at the start but once it got going it didn't stop, will probably go and see it again.
    Interesting.......I actually want to see this at the cinemas but I dont know when though. The movie reviewer liked this too and commented on how there was more of a plot than the Transformer movies

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

I thought this movie was going to be a steaming pile of alien monkey excrement but...Well, it was surprisingly good! It's one of those films that you need to watch in the cinema with a good audience, it really adds to the experience. Everyone was really getting into it, having a laugh and generally enjoying themselves. This movie had the best audience reaction I've seen since the first Paranormal Activity. Once again, something I wasn't expecting!

The single funniest moment was when my girlfriend turned to me and asked if Liam Neeson was Al Bundy...I don't know how she made that connection but it made me LOL. I actually had the opposite reaction to yours The Damned, I loved the first half and found the 2nd half to lose a bit of momentum. It kind of outstayed its welcome then ended abruptly which was a bit annoying. My favourite characters were the Geoff Goldblum Jurassic Park kinda dood and the ginger haired guy who owned the lizard...There wasn't anyone who was really all that annoying though, for this kind of movie they did a great job with the cast. Rhianna was great, even if she didn't come out of a cake ala Under Seige as I'd hoped (or was I the only one fantasizing this >_>). Overall Battleship is big dumb fun, WAY more enjoyable than RotF and DotM combined. 7/10.

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I saw that last night with a couple of friends

how the humans ever beat the aliens ill never know
    you could be forgiven for thinking the home and away team wrote it
    Rhianna [spelling?] should not be allowed to act

special effects were good got a giggle in some parts
    might go see avengers tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    might go see avengers tomorrow
    Jealous!!!!
    Recent Additions:
    Robosen Auto Converting Optimus Prime
    Incoming:
    Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    . Like for example, there was a scene where Yun-Fat says 'I hope you a very happy new years' to his fake-girlfriend's father (she needed someone to pretend to be her boyfriend) and the man wanted to beat him up. Perhaps someone could shed light on what this means to me?.
    He basically screwed up his coached line, instead of saying "look forward to seeing you again on new years day" he said something more to the effect of "I'll be sure to pay my respects to you on new years day" thereby implying that they'll both be dead come new years because of their advanced age.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    He basically screwed up his coached line, instead of saying "look forward to seeing you again on new years day" he said something more to the effect of "I'll be sure to pay my respects to you on new years day" thereby implying that they'll both be dead come new years because of their advanced age.
    Ahh, thanks heaps Lint.

Mystery solved !