Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jurassic World toys

Default Jurassic World toys

Jurassic world toys including the dinos, playsets and what looked like a box of Lego were starting to be put out at Target Northland in Preston Vic.

I've seen these at a few Targets and some at Big W.

I was surprised to see that the Dinos are also in the Hero Smashers range, but I probably shouldn't have been.

I really want the T-Rex. Looks awesome.

A lot of the new dino's were being pulled out of their boxes and stocked on shelves here today... I gotta say the quality and detail is really disappointing. I have the original first edition Red rubber T-rex (and the baby one) from way back in the day and they are far more detailed than these hard plastic versions.

I was hoping we'd get a few really nice dino's I would be tempted to pick up but thus far nothing stands out that is worth even grabbing off the shelf, let alone buying.

I saw some of these at Target the other day. Can't say I was impressed; the toys appear to be too gimmicky IMHO. Disappointed to see that the Velociraptors are still grossly inaccurate. Even AoE Slash has metallic faux-feathers. Although they're probably being more screen accurate rather than paleontologically accurate. But otherwise the toys don't look terribly impressive.

Also... Indominus Rex?? 'Indominus' isn't even a word. 'Dominus' means "lord" or "master" in Latin (e.g. Anno domini = Year of the Lord), and 'Rex' means "King." So is Indominus Rex is like trying to say "unlorded king." Nonsensical! Indomitus Rex ("unconquerable king") would make more sense; and of course, English words like indomitable and indomitability come from indomitus. Nothing comes from "indominus" because it's not even a freakin' real word to begin with! Also, in keeping with dinosaur nomenclature, it should probably be call it Indomitosaurus Rex ("Unconquerable lizard king").

"Indominus" Rex indeed. This is one of the lamest names I've seen in scifi since "Unobtainium". Unobtainius Rex.

Looking at some of the Hero Masher toys next to AOE Hero Masher toys on the shelf I wondered if there was some reuse of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I saw some of these at Target the other day. Can't say I was impressed; the toys appear to be too gimmicky IMHO. Disappointed to see that the Velociraptors are still grossly inaccurate. Even AoE Slash has metallic faux-feathers. Although they're probably being more screen accurate rather than paleontologically accurate. But otherwise the toys don't look terribly impressive.

Also... Indominus Rex?? 'Indominus' isn't even a word. 'Dominus' means "lord" or "master" in Latin (e.g. Anno domini = Year of the Lord), and 'Rex' means "King." So is Indominus Rex is like trying to say "unlorded king." Nonsensical! Indomitus Rex ("unconquerable king") would make more sense; and of course, English words like indomitable and indomitability come from indomitus. Nothing comes from "indominus" because it's not even a freakin' real word to begin with! Also, in keeping with dinosaur nomenclature, it should probably be call it Indomitosaurus Rex ("Unconquerable lizard king").

"Indominus" Rex indeed. This is one of the lamest names I've seen in scifi since "Unobtainium". Unobtainius Rex.
    Have you watched the trailer for the new film?

Spoilers (but spoilers that are in the trailers I think) Indominus Rex is a made up "cool" name for a made up dinosaur that comes from the Theme Park marketing team not scientists. If it's an inaccurate and meaningless name, that's kind of the point. And the Velociraptors are featherless because the Theme Park makers are making Theme Park dinosaurs not real dinosaurs. The paying customers want to see dinosaurs that look like they think they do (based on possibly inaccurate earlier fossil recreations) not what modern scientists think. . This has been a thing since the first Jurassic Park novel.

So... it's like Transformium then?

Not the first comparison I'd have made, but yes pretty much!

I still want the T-Rex.

I got the Stegoceratops coz... COOL!!!!

kids love him.... "My Dinosaur!"

And anyone else think it's wierd we are picking on made up names of "characters" on a messageboard about madeup names for places and characters?