Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New American collectables reality show

Default New American collectables reality show

Copying the concept of other scavenging/pawnshop reality shows, a new one has started up on an American pay-TV channel, called "Toy Hunter".
    The concept sounds like a toy dealer who goes around the country looking at big toy collections, and talking them out of their prized items as "payment" for appearing on the show... which would earn him a lot of money reselling them of course.
    The first episode included MASK, which the host is said to refer to it as a "precursor to Transformers" (yes I know, Transformers came first, and had nothing to do with MASK)... so despite this show having the potential to educate collectors and non-collectors about toys, it sounds like a wasted opportunity with the "toy expert" teaching viewers the wrong info, and looking like a scammer in the process.

A follow up episode features Transformers, specifically Pete from FunPub, probably to promote the collector club in return for his appearance on the show.

It is interesting to read the comments by people who have already been watching the show, making me feel bad for any collectors who are pressured into parting with their expensive items, just to guarantee that their segment would make it on the show.
    (it was also alleged that Pete mentions his ability to amass a big collection comes from skimping on the Collector Club website... I hope that's not true)

...yeah, this show's format sounds dodgy. I much prefer ABC's The Collectors which just purely showcases people's collections. The only drawback is that you need to make the time to fly down to Tasmania to shoot the in-studio segment where the hosts talk to you about your collection (unless you already live in Hobart ). But afaik they certainly don't get you to part with anything!

i saw/downloaded the pilot of this months ago, he isn't very expert and can be annoying at times. he actually makes a stupid comment like "mask was a precursor to transformers" I believe. however was pretty interesting overall. worth a watch.

No one checks their facts anymore, even the online papers get it wrong, sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    even the online papers get it wrong, sigh!
    The internet is wrong?!?

So
    The episode premieres right after the "Best Sandwich in America" Finale.
    and we're talking about the guy NOT being an expert in toys being a surprise??? Quality Television t it's best I see...

Might watch the TF episode, but I can't stand this type of television at the best of times. So I might just skip it instead. I am sure I won't be missing anything.

Saw the pilot a while back also, Ill definetly watch the series

Here's another TV show, more about hoarders but there are Transformers in an upcoming show.

www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/about

Anybody watch the second episode? It had some transformers in there so well worth a watch.

Watched the second episode... meh! His knowledge is seriously underwhelming.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]