Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    Everywhere you look now in vintage Transformers collecting, every niche and sub-category, the bitter end items that are required to polish off a section of the hobby are running into the very high hundreds or even low thousands of dollars. The purposeful march of certain toys and rarities towards four figures has left many a collector grateful for their early interest in things such as Japanese Transformers, pre-Transformers, minibots or even Mexican Transformers and premium North American items before the waves crested.

Four Figure Hobby | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz
    great informative piece, learned so much from this chap

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Ambassadors - Part 1

A lot of time has been spent discussing the rarest or most expensive members of Transformers categories and sub-lines in this column, but this week I’ve asked some of the most respected and knowledgeable collectors in the community to nominate one toy from their assigned category that they believe best represents that toy line. One toy that, in their opinion, embodies a category’s best qualities, essence and could conceivably be used to sell the toy line to a non-believer or non-collector.

The question they were asked was as follows:

“What toy would you choose to represent an entire toy line, if you had ONE choice, one toy you could pitch to a non-collector in order to sell the line?”.

Ambassadors – Part 1 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

With thanks to:
    - Tony Bacala
    - Brr-Icy
    - Gordon Yip
    - CZ Hazard

All the best
    Maz

Nice article as usual Maz. However IMO respected is used too much. Now and again I'd swap it with total arrogant jerkoffs, but I'm sure its just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Now and again I'd swap it with total arrogant jerkoffs, but I'm sure its just me.
    Does it count if I say I write most of the articles myself so that covers that base?

All the best
    Maz

Does it count if I say I write most of the articles myself so that covers that base?

All the best
    Maz
    Ha good one Maz

An obvious choice but i would choose Classics Optimus Prime.

I don't think i could sell a non-believer on a beautiful looking or mint brick from 30 years ago or a transformer that was mainly rare or valuable. So my choice us based on the iconic character with.. modern articluation, great alt and bot modes, minimal kibble, minimal frustration, ruggedness, playability, posability, and also quite importantly.. his two guns which are examples of transforming magic.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    An obvious choice but i would choose Classics Optimus Prime.

I don't think i could sell a non-believer on a beautiful looking or mint brick from 30 years ago or a transformer that was mainly rare or valuable. So my choice us based on the iconic character with.. modern articluation, great alt and bot modes, minimal kibble, minimal frustration, ruggedness, playability, posability, and also quite importantly.. his two guns which are examples of transforming magic.
    Good points but remember that the point of the article was not to pick one toy to represent Transformers as a whole, just a toy for the particular line it hails from. So using Classics Lugnut to represent Classics, using Super Fire Convoy to represent/sell CR/RID etc...

All the best
    Maz

Good points but remember that the point of the article was not to pick one toy to represent Transformers as a whole, just a toy for the particular line it hails from. So using Classics Lugnut to represent Classics, using Super Fire Convoy to represent/sell CR/RID etc...

All the best
    Maz
    Oops, i missed that important point! That does make most choices in your article make more sense.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Default Collector Interview 22 - Alberto Jimenez

When one thinks of high-end vintage Transformers and pre-Transformers collectors, you cannot blame a person for automatically assuming said collector is from either the UK, Italy, France, Scandinavia or the Netherlands. It certainly came as a surprise to me to find that Alberto Jimenez, a collector from Spain, had such a deep interest in G1 Transformers, pre-Transformers and vintage variants from Europe and Japan – not to mention a breathtaking collection. I had never associated Spain with having a major Transformers community, even though it is inextricably linked to G1 through gold boxed Classics, so here’s Alberto from Madrid to tell us about his life with Transformers, and he’s not holding back either…

Collector Interview 22 – Alberto Jimenez | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Ambassadors - Part 2

If you were trying to sell the concept and qualities of the Transformers Animated toy line to a non-collector, or an enthusiast who doesn’t collect Animated, which one toy would you pick to represent and ‘sell’ the line? What about Generation 1 1984 to 1986? And Masterpiece? DOTM? These are the questions we put to our contributors, and their responses demonstrate the kind of insight – and surprises – that we hoped an article series like this would produce.

The question they were asked was as follows:

“What toy would you choose to represent an entire toy line, if you had ONE choice, one toy you could pitch to a non-collector in order to sell the line?”.

Ambassadors – Part 2 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

I added my own choices for last week's Part 1 categories on my new blog Square One: Square One: Ambassadors Part 2 - and my picks for Part 1

With thanks to:
    - Genetic
    - Puffmarko
    - IronhicHide
    - Scubaboy31
    - The Last Autobot

Part 1 can be found here:
    Ambassadors – Part 1 | Source Blog

All the best
    Maz