Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Target price-matching policy (or lack of, in most stores).

Default Target price-matching policy (or lack of, in most stores).

(topic has changed - ignore the 'help request' and just have a read of this first post and the follow up post)

More of an alert to members here who try to price-match stuff - Target is not the place you can rely on for price-matching. It was even confirmed by one store I spoke to, that each store has its own policy, and some stores change it depending on which manager is on. (no, seriously)

I actually enjoyed doing this. It was a lot of fun to get such an odd and varied range of responses to something, every other national store chain has a set policy on.

I rang up 13 Target stores in Brisbane, plus 3 in Sydney and the one in Perth that price-matched for one member, but then refused to do it to another member a few hours later.

Each time I said the exact same thing:

Hi there. I'm just enquiring to see if your particular Target store currently has a price matching policy.
    (note that I asked about their store, not Target in general)

The responses are below, but first - how you can help.
    As you will see below, obviously Target are in need of a set, written, national policy on Price-matching, to prevent all this confusion and frustration they are causing the customers.

Look up the phone book, or the store locator on the www.target.com.au website, and ring up some of your local stores (or any store if you want), and ask them what I quoted above. Write down what they say, and post it up here so that members know which stores to avoid, and which are best to price-match. We'll also be able to see if any store contradicts itself if you call a store that has already been called.
    How does this help?
    Well, if the stores each get multiple calls from customers asking about a price-matching policy, they might just do something about it, so that they have a set response ready. Even if it means they decide not to have one at all, at least we'll know to avoid wasting time with that store-chain.
    ALSO, in a separated topic in the OZ news section, is a reference posting on what the current Price-Matching Policies are for Australian National Store Chains - and if Target finally decide to generate an official policy, I can add it to the posting for the rest of you to benefit.

Now, onto the rather interesting (amusing) list of responses I got.

QLD

CBD - No

Carindale - Originally 'No', then 'only on Toys during the Toy Sale', and then told to talk to Store Manager when he eventually returns to the store.

Mt Gravatt - No

Browns Plains - Yes, but only items that are instock in their competitor's store, AND has to be featured in BOTH Target and the competitor's CURRENT catalogue.

Buranda - No

Chermside - No electronics, but yes to items instock at competitor's store.

Capalaba - Yes, but only in a store within 5Kms, and must be the exact item.

Indooroopilly - Sometimes, but not often (I swear, that is exactly what they said)

Ipswich - Depends on which manager is on at the time (I'm not making this stuff up!)

Mount Ommaney - No, and tried to convince me that it was their national policy, and that no Target store price-matches.

Redbank - Yes, but only against items instock in stores within the same shopping centre (it isn't a big shopping centre).

Springwood - Only on toys during the upcoming Toy Sale.

Mitchelton - No.

NSW

Liverpool - Yes, but needs to be in the competitor's catalogue and on sale (not regular prices) at both stores at the same time.

Miranda - Yes, but will only check against stores within the complex (so even if every other BigW in the state has a particular item in stock, if the Miranda BigW doesn't, you're out of luck).

Castle Hill - Yes, but only against stores in the centre, must be a regular price (not a sale price), and must be in stock at that competitor.

(so Liverpool will only match sale prices, while Castle Hill will only match regular prices... ???)

WA

Bullcreek - Depends on the item. You must bring in the competitor's catalogue and they will only match sale prices. And if it is BigW, they will ring to see if it is instock, and will only match if it is.

I will be ringing up the head office on monday to see what they have to say about this weird price-matching policy Target seems to have. They're supposed to be a national chain, but they're worse than a franchise.
    Last edited by griffin; 6th July 2009 at 02:29 PM.

i just sent a text to a mate of mine who works in the toy dept at my local target, so we shall see what he says

i cant believe that kmart has one and target doesnt....

They are separate entities now, just owned by the same company (Wesfarmers), who made them more independant of each other. They are even encouraged to compete against each other, to improve market share and profit, hopefully at the expense of BigW. But I think it was more in case they sold of Kmart (their original plan when they bought the Coles Group), which would have been messy if Target and Kmart were still working as one company.

foor is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I rang the local Target in Palmerston, Darwin. I spoke to ... someone. Not the manager, but this person flat out told me they don't price match. I tried to argue and say there's proof other Targets in Australia are matching, and she wouldn't budge. Said that was up to the individual Targets to do so, but they don't. Ever.

I went to Target Indooroopilly today and tried to get them to price match Jetfire with a printout of the receipt someone here uploaded whereby a Big-W price match was honoured (at the Liverpool, Sydney Target).

A lady came over from customer service and said that they don't price match. I queried her as to why one store would when theirs don't. She looked like I had just asked her the meaning of life, after recovering she then asked the store hand to ring out the back and see what they think. I then got the response saying they only price match during their toy sale which is coming up soon. Roooiight. What's their motto again? 100% miserable?

A few weeks ago I saw clear signage at Target for the upcoming toy sale stating that they'd price match any items on layby. I looked for the fine print as I didn't fully understand it, but I couldn't find it. When i went back the following week, the signage was gone, and I can't find a trace of it anywhere now.

I actually asked the lady at Indooroopilly Target if I could laybuy Jetfire then price-comparison him during their sale. She said no, you commit to pay the price on the item at the time of doing the laybuy. :/

Wow, didn't realise my Jetfire price matching shenanigans would set off such a powderkeg!! I hope the manager at Liverpool Target doesn't get into shit and prevent me from price matching there ever again!
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

you couldve at least waited till i was working to call, then you couldve sung me happy birthday =P
    ~

In Victoria, pretty sure Target Watergardens will do price matching as it is vividly posted in front of the store entrance.
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap