Thread: Classic Ozformers Newsletters - Issue #1 (Oct 1996)

Default Classic Ozformers Newsletters - Issue #1 (Oct 1996)

The early issues stated the previous month on them, as they covered the news from that month... so this was actually released middle of October 1996, making it almost 15 years exactly since this was first printed up at a photocopy shop near South Brisbane, and posted out to the members (I remember rushing to get it into the mail before the end of the day).

This issue was typed up at Uni, where I was studying at the time, because I didn't yet have my first computer.
    I used a colour photocopy of the a UK comic mast-head, with a colour photocopy of Outback from somewhere around issue #100 of the UK comic... to make the title banner of our first issue.
    After that issue, it was all done on computer and a copy was printed out to be photocopied.

So here it is, finally, right on our 15th Anniversary month - Issue #1 of our Newsletter. (don't get too excited, it wasn't exactly a masterpiece)

Whenever I feel myself too old again...I'll log in and read this post

Awesome

I recognize dirge's name but are any of the other 16 primes() still active on the board?
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

There's me

Actually, I just updated that members list to reflect current or recent online usernames.
    So aside from Dirge and myself, there is Jimmy/Counterpunch (still around, just not active on the board), Seawave (posts her auctions in the ebay section), Leigh/damnyouhussies (recently returned member in SA), and Finback (was around a few years ago, but not sure about now).

So at least 5 of the 16 are still around in some way. Which isn't too bad for 15 years.

I'd love to do a reunion of sorts, but most are probably untraceable now (not to mention the distance between us all).

I wonder what will be written on the October 2026 issue.

Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed reading about Beast Wars arriving in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed reading about Beast Wars arriving in Australia.
    As did I, cheers for posting this original issue Griffin as it's an interesting glimpse into what the fandom was like back then - I remember the days of Snail Mail.
    Will you be posting other issues?, perhaps from the same month each consecutive year as a sort of snapshot of the evolution of both OTCA and the fandom at large?

I was aiming to do up the first 10 or so issues, perhaps one each weekend. Maybe also a few random issues from throughout the years as well.

That's awesome. I actually ran a Whovian fan club back in the early nineties () and we also had a monthly newsletter. These were printed out using my Commodore 128 and the Apple 2c's we had at high school. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate any copies as they were either saved to floppy disc or destroyed.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]